Best action for rifle build

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Best action for rifle build

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2020, 11:05 pm

G'day people. mates, what action would you use for a build if it was to be your only rifle ? I would like to do a build before i'm too old or dead :) I was going to rebuild a mauser werke but found out it was a cheap mauser and the action is too worn to spend money on also restocking it proved to be a pain with costs being higher than most standard brands so , i'll start from scratch or buy an old rifle or new and start , I mainly want a good action to start with . So any hints please :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Re: Best action for rifle build

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm

Some ideas about what you want to use it for would help I think. Is it for hunting or competition? What chamberings are you looking at?

If it were going to be my only rifle it'd be based in an aluminium chassis.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2020, 12:46 am

Yeah thanks bladeracer sorry I forgot the main info . yes it would be between 25-06 and 300 it will be for hunting and just shooting at targets . I want it to be special and will be my main rifle as well as my toy . weight won't matter as most of my shooting will be from a vehicle or stationary position. I already have a 7mm rem mag in sako ''roughtech'' but it's not the old sako brand ,the stock is a piece of junk , sloppy bolt from new ,it's only had about 250 through it but I just can't get it to talk to me if you get what I mean . the only thing going for it is it shoots v/good. I can't find a stock that fits directly onto it and Berretta won't give out any info on which after market stocks will fit and I can't find one so I've come to the conclusion i'll get a v/good action , build a rifle ,one that can be fitted with a stock without too much trouble then build with good quality stuff , it will be my go to forever rifle and i'll probably get rid of all the rest except my 22-250
Member-Deleted

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Jan 2020, 5:09 am

Building a magazine hunting rifle without going into the $1000's I would start with a Zastava action either traditional 2 trigger set trigger or the double acting settable single trigger. For myself the barrel would be octagonal and slightly engraved, and the stock Turkish Walnut. Such a rifle would see me out, and make a nice bequest, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by perentie » 18 Jan 2020, 6:47 am

I like the Rem 700. Built two rifles on old actions I picked up. Accurising tools are available or can be made, and aftermarket stocks or chassis are available. I put one into an Accuracy International chassis.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2020, 7:58 am

Bat Machine Model M would be a good start.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2020, 8:10 am

Or a Ruger #1 is a beautiful looking action.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 Jan 2020, 8:47 am

I just built a 223 on an old Howa 1500 walnut. The 1500 is basically a Remington 700 clone but with a stronger extractor. i.e. push feed, dual locking lugs, plunger ejector. The action was quite worn, nevertheless with the new barrel + bedding job, the gun can hold long strings of sub-moa groups. I added the Lucky13 detachable kit for scoped-rifle, field competition.

It’ll shoot Vs all day long even on the 300m line (if you’re doing your part and read the wind right). No exaggeration. I think it’d generally group just fine on the 400m line also with the ~70gr pills, but I’m yet to try. Normally reserve the 400m for the 308w but those days might be behind me...

Put it this way, I’m a Howa convert :D
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2020, 9:48 am

if l had the kanga l would make a build off a defiance machine custom action
there web site can tell you a lot more than l can https://defiancemachine.com/actions/deviant/
but l will try to give my perspective,
looking at the cartridges you are looking at especially the 300wm you need a magnum length action
to get the most out of it to be able to seat the bullets for a longer oal for more speed with less pressure
defiance machine do this for the 300wm and the features eg.. integral recoil lug and scope mounts are a good thing lMO, these actions are made to benchrest precision quality but will not jam in the field because of a bit of dust like some other benchrest custom actions
this is the one l would pick, a very strong looking action with integral scope mount and recoil lug :thumbsup:

the actions l usually use are mauser 98 actions because l can afford them and have a bit of an addiction :lol:
they are not really made for the 25-06 or 300wm length cases but can be made to fit
l am still wanting to buy or build a 300wm and looked at the zastava actions in 375 H&H to do a build so l would be able to load long in the mag
apparently these 375 H&H actions are the same mag length as there 300wm mag length, something to check
around 93mm l think :unknown:
they are still just a commercial mauser 98 with material taken out to fit the bigger cases though
being comercial made they are stronger than the old war actions or should l say you are not living in hope as much
the cost of doing a zastava would be way less than a custom action alone :unknown:
heres one on used guns https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=166389
a new barrel, stock a decent scope and jobs done still way under a custom action price

do not believe the hype that a mauser wont shoot because l have a few that do :drinks:
Last edited by marksman on 18 Jan 2020, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jan 2020, 10:44 am

Get yourself a Sako 75 ,,,, in good nick

(Much better than the 85)

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2020, 11:02 am

Die Judicii wrote:Get yourself a Sako 75 ,,,, in good nick

(Much better than the 85)

:thumbsup:

Or a TRG 22?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2020, 11:35 am

Thanks everybody I've wrote down most of the points and will keep going back to them as I go . I would like to keep the 7mm rem mag if I could get a decent stock for it, but the drama I've had finding one is unbelievable too uncommon not like Howa, Rem and sorts , but i'll just plod along and check out some of the info I've received from you all . This will be my very last rifle so I want to build a perfect one for me. Thanks a lot people :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by GQshayne » 18 Jan 2020, 11:49 am

I look at the suggestions above, and note that no two are the same. And if you have a look at my 17Rem project thread, then you could probably guess that I could suggest another. LOL

So here is my suggestion for you. Find an old rifle that YOU like and refurbish it. Not what I like, or anybody else, but one that you like. Now if you fancy an old Sako for instance, then that will be a fine rifle when you get it how you like. Just like my old Tikkas. Of course you would need to focus on the quality end of the market, but if you look at older stuff then you will rule out most of the made for a price stuff with plastic stocks etc we see now anyway.

I like a nice walnut stock too. :thumbsup:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2020, 12:14 pm

G'day GQshayne mate I do like the sako but I am finding it hard to find aftermarket parts like stocks and stuff I got in touch with Berretta for a timber stock for my Sako roughtech Range and their answer is they don't make one finding out anything from them proved fruitless I've even thought about a chassis type but ask the question ''Will it fit my type of rifle ''? the answer is ''I don't know for sure ,I doubt it'' but send your rifle and we'll try it , last time I sent it away to have the stock checked it took 31/2 mths to get back (was only supposed to be 6 weeks) so now I trust no salesman or saleswoman also it was damaged in transit or at the shop, so this is why I've decided to run with a common brand of rifle just build it for me with the help of knowledgeable others
Member-Deleted

Post by GQshayne » 18 Jan 2020, 4:43 pm

So my suggestion is get yourself a 40 year old Sako with a nice piece of walnut for the stock and then refurbish/modify it to do what you want. I have done this recently. Instead of buying a Tikka T3 in .2404 Ruger, which would be an excellent rifle, but a bit uninspiring for someone that like the old craftsmanship, I bought a 40 year old Tikka in .17 Rem and gave it a proper birthday. So now it is functional, and for me it has charisma, something a new rifle does not provide.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2020, 7:24 pm

That's your fault I can't help it if she made you buy more :lol: :lol: Nah DJ I think it's time to build one and stop buying this rubbish they sell today , most guns today you buy them and you most likely have to do something to it to get it to shoot , not like the old built to last ones. I don't know how much money I've spent on the old ''Heym'' mauser only to find its made of inferior metals and was made cheaply to get a company out of Bankruptcy. :thumbsdown: :crazy: To get a good quality rifle made today it would cost you between 4-5 thousand dollars but done slowly over time and at my pace it will be done to my likings and if I have to part with some of my old rifles so be it they're not worth much but it will contribute to the build , I will miss them as some have memories for me but as I said so be it. :thumbsup: if I wanted to buy an already built one and saved up from my pension it would take 3yrs-4yrs and i'd be nearly 70yr old so times running out :lol: :violin: I'll do a lot of thinking in the next few months and decide the outcome then I suppose. but will get all the info now so I can ponder over it :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Strikey » 18 Jan 2020, 7:26 pm

in2anity wrote:I just built a 223 on an old Howa 1500 walnut. The 1500 is basically a Remington 700 clone but with a stronger extractor. i.e. push feed, dual locking lugs, plunger ejector. The action was quite worn, nevertheless with the new barrel + bedding job, the gun can hold long strings of sub-moa groups. I added the Lucky13 detachable kit for scoped-rifle, field competition.

It’ll shoot Vs all day long even on the 300m line (if you’re doing your part and read the wind right). No exaggeration. I think it’d generally group just fine on the 400m line also with the ~70gr pills, but I’m yet to try. Normally reserve the 400m for the 308w but those days might be behind me...

Put it this way, I’m a Howa convert :D

The Howa is nothing like a Rem 700, the Howa action is an early Sako design the Japanese bought and refined, now waiting for the Sako fanbois comments, lol. My preference for a custom build would be on the Howa action also, good things for not much money and plenty of aftermarket accessories for them now :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2020, 7:48 pm

Thanks Strikey i'll take note cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by in2anity » 18 Jan 2020, 7:50 pm

Strikey wrote:The Howa is nothing like a Rem 700, the Howa action is an early Sako design the Japanese bought and refined, now waiting for the Sako fanbois comments, lol.

Well, that's a matter of perspective isn't it Strikey. Sure, if you want to get into the technicalities of it, I certainly can't argue with you. But that's why I used the word "basically". They do share the same general aspects (except for the m16 style extractor). The reason I compared the Howa against the m700 is because the m700 action is such a popular action to build upon - and I'm really not a fan of the pricetag of R700s these days. Far too much of a inflated reputation of "military grade".

Anyways, we digress. Glad to see another vouching for the Howa :drinks: My gun is a genuine 10-shot, 3/4 minute gun. And that's with pretty rough old handloads. I'm sure it'd go 1/2moa if I payed real close attention to my reloads. But the benchrest and f-class realm is really not my cup of tea.

howa_small.jpg
howa_small.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 4962 times
Last edited by in2anity on 18 Jan 2020, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 18 Jan 2020, 7:55 pm

rem 700's are a good thing, well catered for with aftermarket parts. new actions are also available . lots of stocks available as well. i've had good results with push feed winchester 70's , if you look hard , good donor rifles are available at modest prices when they turn up . mauser 98's can be made into great rifles , but sometimes you'll spend a lot of money with gunsmiths getting the work done . zastava actions can be had new, but i don't think their a true 98 action, their more a yugo m48 and some parts aren't interchangeable . i think. i'm sure i'll be corrected by those more knowledgable than myself . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2020, 9:20 pm

bigrich wrote:rem 700's are a good thing, well catered for with aftermarket parts. new actions are also available . lots of stocks available as well. i've had good results with push feed winchester 70's , if you look hard , good donor rifles are available at modest prices when they turn up . mauser 98's can be made into great rifles , but sometimes you'll spend a lot of money with gunsmiths getting the work done . zastava actions can be had new, but i don't think their a true 98 action, their more a yugo m48 and some parts aren't interchangeable . i think. i'm sure i'll be corrected by those more knowledgable than myself . :thumbsup:

blasphemy :lol:
you are being corrected bigrich :lol:
l know of only 2 differences in the zastava and the early model 98
the thumb cut out
and early mauser 98's a have "C-type" receiver, only one channel milled in it on one side at some point comercial action makers started to fudge and mill 2 channels in the breech, to make it easier to machine the locking lug channels.
zastava got there tooling from the germans after ww2, they are a true 98 :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2020, 9:27 pm

in2anity FYI

Howa (now markets their own bolt design, also marketed as Weatherby Vanguard) produced a knock-off of the Sako L61R back in the 1960's. It was called the Golden Bear (close enough to Finnbear). Urban legend has it that there was a successful international patent lawsuit brought by Sako which shut down Howa's production.

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/thread ... copy.2261/

not trying to be a sm@rt@rse :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 18 Jan 2020, 9:38 pm

marksman wrote:in2anity FYI

Howa (now markets their own bolt design, also marketed as Weatherby Vanguard) produced a knock-off of the Sako L61R back in the 1960's. It was called the Golden Bear (close enough to Finnbear). Urban legend has it that there was a successful international patent lawsuit brought by Sako which shut down Howa's production.

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/thread ... copy.2261/

not trying to be a sm@rt@rse :drinks:

lol yeah righto righto, i concede :friends: I’ll admit, I wasn’t aware of the history. Good guns, both of em. :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2020, 9:54 pm

OH MY GOSH! what have I created here ? :lol: :lol: Nah just joking fella's . you see why i'm chasing info for this,? there is so much to take into consideration ,especially when you're like me. only ever bought rifles and put up with the defects ( not that there was many) just bad stocks sometimes the older rifles were built to last in my opinion and that would possibly be a good place to start even the dreaded Remington because of the inter changeable items and after market stocks . :shock: here's close to what i'd like in the end , one like a Christian arms rifle good quality not really new type ,but accurate to shoot able distances and comfy to shoot ,med-heavy barrel, good scope that's enough for me. but the more I look at things the more I get a horrible feeling in my gut of failure :wtf: Yup , ''Me'', ''Failure'' ,never been a match till now and holey cow its a horrible feeling :thumbsdown: I have a lot of thinking and pondering on brands and info now thanks :thumbsup: :? :?
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2020, 10:12 pm

l built a 270wsm out of my last 300wm and it has better ballistics with 150gr sst's than my 6.5x284 with 140gr bergers
l could have gone the 300wsm but the 270wsm is better for what l want, a long distance really flat shooting thumper
so far it has been put to work at over 700yds without a hitch

mine full cost including original rifle was
1000 rifle
1000 scope
350 barrel
350 stock
400 smith
200 dies and cases

l had to do a lot of fitting and finishing but it shoots 150gr bullets @ 3200fps 1/4 moa

l'm not trying to talk you into anything or trying to confuse you :lol:
the hard part is deciding what you want :thumbsup: but l know your smart enough to know that :drinks:

here is the rifle finished but it has a bigger scope on it now

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 12:45 am

Nothing wrong with that rifle by the looks mate . And What action is it built on ? And yeah 270 wsm would be one i'd look at no doubt .I used to own a Parker Hale in 270 years ago and it was a very accurate rifle and hit like the powers , it used to roll the brumbies with authority every time. yep i'll ponder that one . Ive also thought about the 7mag as well . if only I could get bits for my sako 7mm mag I could make it into a good rifle with some tinkering , maybe a trg stock but they won't fit according to GS and too expensive to buy and try. anyway got a start thanks MM
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 19 Jan 2020, 8:09 am

your right about stocks being hard to find for the later sako's
l had a bit of a look at richards micro fit who are usually pretty good but they only have stocks for the early ones :unknown:

this action is just an old tang safety ruger, nothing special but l was attached to it and it works
the reason l suggested the wsm is the smaller case is easier to fit in long action for the oal, my 270wsm cases with 150gr bullets are very long
its like shooting needles and as l said it is better ballisticly than my 6.5x284
you could even get a tikka action already in wsm ect... but it needs to be something you can plumb (the plumbers gun :lol: )

anyway more to think about :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Jan 2020, 8:27 am

marksman wrote:
blasphemy :lol:
you are being corrected bigrich :lol:
l know of only 2 differences in the zastava and the early model 98
the thumb cut out
and early mauser 98's a have "C-type" receiver, only one channel milled in it on one side at some point comercial action makers started to fudge and mill 2 channels in the breech, to make it easier to machine the locking lug channels.
zastava got there tooling from the germans after ww2, they are a true 98 :thumbsup:

:drinks:

oops, i've been corrected ;)
there are lots of variants in the range of mauser contract /millitary rifles but, which can be a trap . small ring , large ring, intermediate action (turk, argentine), m48 yugo , k98 . i was sure i had read somewhere that the zastava had subtle differences to the k98 . i read recently that some parker hales had 1903 springfield bolts modified to fit in parker's surplus mauser actions :unknown: . the early parker hales have a good reputation, some are reworked ww2 surplus mausers, later ones were built on spanish commercial mauser actions . of coarse for magnum cases a modified p14 would be interesting, no worries about action strength on a winchester/remington made action. p14/m17 are massivly over enginered .. i've played the waiting game with gun smiths and it can be frustrating :crazy:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by cracker » 19 Jan 2020, 9:24 am

iv been told by a competent melbourne gun smith that the "fn" mauser actions are the go.
parker and hales are good aswell, cz550 are another good action
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Jan 2020, 10:21 am

cracker wrote:iv been told by a competent melbourne gun smith that the "fn" mauser actions are the go.
parker and hales are good aswell, cz550 are another good action

+1 on the cz 550 . i hadn't remembered about that action. a mate got one recently in 9.3x62 , and it would be great as a basis for a custom build, especially with the scope mount arangement of a simple grooved receiver top and built in recoil lug to stop mount shift :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles