Honest Opinions Sako 85 .308

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Honest Opinions Sako 85 .308

Post by Stix » 26 Jan 2020, 1:46 pm

Sorry BLR...its a little decieving in the pic...
The centre is raised, not dished...thats the issue...

That section is the bottom of the ring that sits hard up to the top surface of the base...
Its done up tight & only a 20 cal so i doubt its moving..., but still...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 2:51 pm

Can u post a better pic of the other bits but only if u have time. I’m on holidays But i know others might be busy
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jan 2020, 3:02 pm

Stix wrote:So what method do you use to mount glass with scj...?
And what torque you run on the action screws...?

Im not happy with the latest set of Sako bases i got...the base of them is poorly machined for the price...i need to get it checked out as im sure its no good for the purposes...

Ill post up a pic if i can find one...

They do make a pic rail to go over the mounts but I thought it would mount the scope too high, so I went with optilocks. I now think I should get the pic rail.

I just nip up my action screws but use thread locker, Loctite 222.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 26 Jan 2020, 9:20 pm

I haven't had the 2 pieces bases. Have seen quite a few people do not like them. I have the one piece bases and they were really nice and I think look much better.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brinny » 29 Jan 2020, 9:47 pm

Im running a Sako 85 Finnlight in 308 for the deer....Have nothing but good reviews with it....
I have smacked down quite a few sambar to date with it....
My mate was that impressed with mine he bought the 85 Finnlight 2 in 270..(Always been his choice of cal)....
You will go a long way to get a better rifle....

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 30 Jan 2020, 7:53 am

Good to hear mate, I’ve made my mind up to get the hunter in stainless, will also get it pillar and glas bedded, I’m going to travel with this gun, got the case ready to already. I’ve tee’d up a few trips already for next year, it will go anywhere from the NT in summer, or down to Victoria in winter and spring for sambar. Can’t wait to do a proper Sambar hunt with my mates down there.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 01 Feb 2020, 12:28 pm

I have personally owned three 85's - a 223, 243 and 270. I still have the 270 but have sold off the 223 and 243.

All excellent rifles - with the exception of the dreaded extraction issue on the 223. The 243 and 270 extract fired shells without any problem but the 223 was problematic.
I also owned two sako A7's which both had the extraction issues.

From what have gleaned about this issue it seems the extractor doesn't hold the case tightly against the bolt-face - and this causes the cases to hit the underside of the mounted scope and fall back into the chamber opening.

Would i buy another 85 ........not really.........but having said that the 243 i owned and the 270 i still have were mighty fine rifles.
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 01 Feb 2020, 12:35 pm

solarpak wrote:I have personally owned three 85's - a 223, 243 and 270. I still have the 270 but have sold off the 223 and 243.

All excellent rifles - with the exception of the dreaded extraction issue on the 223. The 243 and 270 extract fired shells without any problem but the 223 was problematic.
I also owned two sako A7's which both had the extraction issues.

From what have gleaned about this issue it seems the extractor doesn't hold the case tightly against the bolt-face - and this causes the cases to hit the underside of the mounted scope and fall back into the chamber opening.

Would i buy another 85 ........not really.........but having said that the 243 i owned and the 270 i still have were mighty fine rifles.
C.

Have you heard of, or know of a fix for this Solarpak...?

I have these issues with both of mine...if i muscle the bolt for extraction it hits scope...if i give anything less than brute force, the empty can end up anywhere from way out infront of the rifle, in my hand or laying backwards sitting in the open action...very annoying when shooting groups OR fur & wanting to keep brass...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pedro4977 » 01 Feb 2020, 4:02 pm

I have a sako L461 and the Leopold steel mounts and rings are the best, even better than the old hillver bridge mounts. The dovetail system seems to work well in my experience. My old girl is in .222 rem mag, and wearing a Leopoldo vx3 4-14 varmint with a 26" tobler. Shot a verified .27" group at 100m on the range off a bipod and rear bag. I have an even older rougher sako in .25-06 that regularly shoots.6" with cheap projectiles. Bed it, float it, shoot out the factory barrel and get a maddco or tobler and tune up with hand loads and you can make a semi custom rifle about the same as buying a new 85. Just put on a good stock, make sure its bedded correctly and you have a rifle that you'd be proud to hand down, just like mine was handed down to me from my Dad.
You can’t legislate against ignorance, stupidity or an opinion made up of both!
pedro4977
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by solarpak » 01 Feb 2020, 9:43 pm

The only fix would be to get a gunsmith to fabricate a new claw extractor - and that should fix the problem. I didn't do this with my 223 (sold it off due to sheer annoyance) but my 243 and 270 seemed to be ok and didn't need any work.
Replacing the claw extractor is the only solution i have heard of that works - and find a good gunsmith to carry out the work

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles