9mm rifle / carbine in NSW

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

9mm rifle / carbine in NSW

Post by thunderbird » 02 Feb 2020, 7:24 pm

Just wondering if there is any legal 9mm rifle or carbine available in NSW?
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 9mm rifle / carbine in NSW

Post by Potatoes » 02 Feb 2020, 9:20 pm

You guys in nsw have to have a demonstrate you legally own a cerain calibre so you can buy ammo for it right?

Sounds like a ploy to legally obtain ammo for a rifle so it can be used in an unregistered pistol... yes?
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 02 Feb 2020, 10:21 pm

Potatoes wrote:You guys in nsw have to have a demonstrate you legally own a cerain calibre so you can buy ammo for it right?

Sounds like a ploy to legally obtain ammo for a rifle so it can be used in an unregistered pistol... yes?

If he's obtained an illegal handgun, then why not just acquire ammunition illegally also? Or maybe its possible he wants a cheap plinker on his CAT B licence...
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 02 Feb 2020, 10:44 pm

Potatoes wrote:You guys in nsw have to have a demonstrate you legally own a cerain calibre so you can buy ammo for it right?

sort of but have you ever heard of reloading you can just buy cases and Projectile,s if you had an ilegally obtained pistol you may just roll your own

But yes I saw a rifle at the last Penrith gun show in 9 mm To be honest i did not take to much notice of it all i remember was i think it was Spanish
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Feb 2020, 12:18 am

Ummm... I have a .357Mag rifle and a .357Mag revolver. Both are licensed.
Maybe the OP has a licensed 9mm handgun and wants a matching rifle/carbine.
In WA we can't buy components - projectiles, primers, powders, cases - unless we have the appropriate firearm on our licence.
If someone had the connections to obtain an illegal handgun then presumably they could source ammunition for it.
It is only we licensed owners that play by the rules.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2020, 2:36 am

G'day thunderbird,
The rifle pomemax saw was probably a Spanish Destroyer Police Carbine, these are sometimes found converted to 9x19 Luger but are mostly seen in their original caliber of 9x23 Largo. The only other legal 9mm rifle I can recall is the Novem by Special Interest Arms, don't know how many were imported but I have seen one. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 03 Feb 2020, 7:08 am

Ask yourself what is the cheapest centerfire ammunition that is always readily available and is more effective than a 22 magnum.
Answer is 9mm.
Aside from the Destroyer carbines, some of which had the barrel set back and were rechambered to 9mm, there were the Marlin Camp carbines. Also I have a very vague and dim recollection of some sort of lever action being offered in 9mm in the late 70's.
In my opinion Ruger would do some brisk trade if they brought out a 77/9mm.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by thunderbird » 03 Feb 2020, 9:15 am

You have really good sense of imagination :D I own registered 9mm handguns.
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Potatoes » 03 Feb 2020, 11:16 am

thunderbird wrote:

You have really good sense of imagination :D I own registered 9mm handguns.

Fair enough. I judged a book by it cover. If someone was after legal ammo for illegal handguns, it sounded like the sort of question they would ask.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 03 Feb 2020, 11:24 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2020, 11:45 am

G'day straightshooter,
The Camp Rifle was a semi-auto, (also available in 45ACP, had one, Thank You Johnny!) doesn't suit OP's request for "legal", unless he has a Permit. As for a lever gun, the only thing I can remember is the Marlin 62 Levermatic in US 30M1 Carbine, but seeing as they made the Camp Rifle in 9x19 maybe they offered the 62 in that caliber?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 03 Feb 2020, 11:49 am

pomemax wrote:https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/new-to-me-9mm-bolt-gun.6949278/
some guys made a 9mm on a cz

that is amazing :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 03 Feb 2020, 4:28 pm

The ruger bolt action in 357 would be my best bet fed with 38 special. I did a lot of research a few years back and couldn't find many 9mm bolt rifles (the Spanish one already mentioned and the Nova arms one were all i could find, as well as some custom one-off rifles) I also read that 9mm leaver action rifles were difficult (couldn't find a mention of a factory made one) due to the combined effect of short and rimless cases.
Not sure you can get much here... although if you could import the Nova arms one, that would be amazing.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 03 Feb 2020, 7:03 pm

Geez, the OP could be the proud owner of a Bergara 9mm break action, or a faithful repro DeLisle carbine which has been made up as a 9mm as the ammo is cheaper than 45ACP. Or it could be a 9x19mm Spanish Destroyer carbine! Why the automatic inference that the OP is doing something illegal!

Yes there is an issue regards buying pistol ammo in NSW, but this impacts non-NSW shooters more so than those in that state. If you go to NSW as a QLD resident & licensed Cat H shooter for a comp, with your 9mm Glock, then don't leave your ammo at home! You will not be sold any 9mm ammo by any NSW ammo dealer, period! Doesn't matter if you have your QLD Cat H license on you! You're not a state resident with a NSW Cat H license, with a 9mm pistol registered against your license, so sorry but you will be sold any 9mm ammo. Great way to kill trade eh!

So you'd best hope that one of the NSW shooters, who owns a 9mm, will go & buy it for you.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 03 Feb 2020, 7:38 pm

gunnnie wrote:Geez, the OP could be the proud owner of a Bergara 9mm break action, or a faithful repro DeLisle carbine which has been made up as a 9mm as the ammo is cheaper than 45ACP. Or it could be a 9x19mm Spanish Destroyer carbine! Why the automatic inference that the OP is doing something illegal!

Hey yeah, forgot about the Bergara, if you run with a single shot then that is a nice bit of kit by all accounts!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 03 Feb 2020, 7:58 pm

Hey yeah, forgot about the Bergara, if you run with a single shot then that is a nice bit of kit by all accounts![/quote]

Relo bought one to have as a ute gun. He uses it to kill livestock that are on their last legs. T
He tells me it is also reasonably accurate out to 100m.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles