Trigger/Sear engagement .303 Enfield.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Trigger/Sear engagement .303 Enfield.

Post by Am88 » 03 Feb 2020, 12:10 pm

I've had a workmate come see me with a issue he's having with his sporterised third hand Enfield. I don't have another to compare with but he reported that sometime when loading the rifle it was spontaneously go off on him.

With no experience with one of these at all, I took the bottom timber off and worked out how the the bolt comes forward and engages on the sear thingo (technical term) :lol: it was only just contacting and the bolt being a little sloppy sometimes it would only just engage and then release when more spring pressure was applied via the bolt.

So done a bit of tinkering and noticed the grub screw adjuster that lets the sear thingo move further up on the bolt face sear thingo (another technical term). So once adjusted I cleaned everything up and tested and tested and could get get it to go off on me no matter how hard I tried. So the question I spose is how much should the 2 sear setups intercept? I'm wondering if rotating arm has been straightened a bit while being sporterised as it appears to have a slight bend in it.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Trigger/Sear engagement .303 Enfield.

Post by Blr243 » 03 Feb 2020, 3:49 pm

I think the answer lies in the hands of a qualified experienced gunsmith. If there is an injury as a result of an accidental discharge a magistrate may point the finger at the last person who adjusted the trigger , stay safe brother
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 03 Feb 2020, 4:27 pm

Grub screw adjuster?
Bubba been there?
Go see your 'smith.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 03 Feb 2020, 4:33 pm

No1_49er wrote:Grub screw adjuster?
Bubba been there?
Go see your 'smith.

Yes there is a grub screw :wtf: good point on the legal side of things. Sounds like an issue for someone else.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Varmtr » 22 Feb 2020, 10:55 pm

Sounds like either it has a Huber Concepts trigger or some one has installed a grub screw through the trigger to remove the 2 stage trigger and reduce the trigger creep.
The trigger operates what is called the bent which then rotates in an arc on the cocking piece on the striker. Now if the angles on the cocking piece have been played with on either or the bent this can make it unsafe. Or have screwed in the grub screw thus pushing more on the bent thus rotating the tip down on were it makes contact with the cocking piece on the striker. Thus prone to accidental discharge if bumped and more so if the bolt is a bit sloppy in the bolt race.
I have tuned quite a few smle triggers over the years and each one is its own little beast.
Now with the sloppy bolt there is a few little tricks that can be done to the cocking piece on the striker to make it safer. But does take time and patience to do and understanding the angles required.
Honestly don't touch unless you know what you are doing.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 24 Feb 2020, 7:25 am

Yes I have given the rifle back to him, there is definataly a grub screw installed which you adjust from the top and there is now 2 stages to the trigger so I guess it has been modified. I let him know that I cleaned it all and had a look but it's over my head and to take to someone else. Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles