Sako A7 6.5 Creedmoor

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Sako A7 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by Bill » 09 Feb 2020, 8:10 am

JimTom wrote:You’re considering a Creedmoor Bill?

not right now JimTom but I do see a Short action with an IBI carbon wrapped 6.5 barrel, lightweight Carbon/kevlar composite stock in the future. 6.5 CM, 260 rem :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 09 Feb 2020, 8:55 am

Sounds good mate, let us know when you get it.

Ummmm you do realise that if you end up with a 6.5 Creedmoor you may have to stop paying out on the cartridge?
No more 6.5 ManBun / Britney etc :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next I just need you to try a 300AAC and see how good that is and then you won’t be able to bag it out about being a transgender round either mate. :lol: :lol:

Just kidding mate. :drinks: :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 09 Feb 2020, 9:16 am

hey the 6.5 CM is still the new kid on the block and its still may get dumped in favour for a more efficient flatter 6mm :lol: :lol:

I havent had 6mm for 23 years and the Creedmoor may have peaked, it will be a fallow/range build for 400m work. :thumbsup:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 09 Feb 2020, 9:46 am

Yes I have read a bit online where people are favouring the 6mm over the 6.5mm. Creedmoor been around over ten years now I think, nothing compared to the Swede, however only time will tell if it withstands the test of time.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Feb 2020, 8:00 pm

SCJ429 wrote:They are talking about shooting in subzero temperatures. If Hornady made factory ammo and someone tries shooting it at minus 30, they want it to ignite reliably. I have used Palmer brass for my 243 and never had an issue with BR4 or 450 magnum primers. I never shoot in extremely cold conditions.

scanning through the topics, i came across this discussion you guys were having about small versus large primers. why does lapua make a small primer case in the first place ? i'm gunna be playing with 358 win in the near future, and using small primer lap cases is reported to give a gain of 100-150 fps gain in speed . that might not seem like the trouble for a lot of calibers but in the 358 win that pushes it's performance up into whelen territory . have any of you guys experimented with the different cases and observed any gains in ballistic performance :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Feb 2020, 8:41 pm

Cases like the 6mm PPC and the 6mm BR Norma utilise a small rifle primer and smaller flash hole which appears to aid their accuracy. These two cases dominate the accuracy world. This design feature has been added to other cases to see if a improvement can be made. Some people see an advantage in having this feature in their brass.

Using small rifle primers to provide you with more speed is only for those trying to chase it. It will not magically appear in your 358 by switching to Palma brass.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 09 Feb 2020, 8:55 pm

You're only going to get more speed out of a small primer if you load it with more powder. Sounds obvious, I know, but the two advantages of the smaller primer and flash hole are stronger case (more metal around the primer pocket/case head) – which can equal higher pressures and longer brass life – and more consistent burn (less SD). At least that is the theory, and why srp 308 Palma brass came in to existence.

I load my rifle to normal pressures, as I'm not chasing speed. I use srp brass because it's been shown to last longer and I'm getting very good accuracy with it.

On a related note, I also shoot 223, so it means I can use the same primers for both my centrefires. The rest of my rifles are rimfires. 223 + 6.5 covers just about anything you could hope to shoot in Australia.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 09 Feb 2020, 9:07 pm

Flyer are you using standard small rifle primers in your Creedmoor? I am guessing so considering you load both the 6.5 and .223 with the same primer. I am using small rifle magnum primers. I would be interested to see if there was any difference in performance, powder ignition etc.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 09 Feb 2020, 11:34 pm

I use BR4 primers mate. I haven't been able to verify this, but I've been told by a local gunsmith (who's also a national benchrest champion) that BR4 and 450 primers are the same. The only difference is they are batch tested and the most consistent batches are labelled BR4 and the rest are 450. They both have 0.025" thick cups compared to 0.020" for the 400 primers.

I did find this page which lists some very slight differences, but I think 0.0005" difference is within margin-of-error/tolerance, so there's still a good chance they're the same primer: http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

I was lucky to pick up 1000 BR4s real cheap a couple of years ago, but since I load them for two rifles, I went through those pretty quick and am back to paying exorbitant prices for primers again!
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 09 Feb 2020, 11:44 pm

This guy tested 450 vs BR4 and also reckons they're the same: https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/c ... e.6402744/

I should probably save some money and start buying 450s.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 10 Feb 2020, 6:00 am

Thank you mate, well for what it’s worth I have found the 450’s to be fine. In saying that I am not shooting competition, just hunting, however it does shoot quite well on paper too.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 10 Feb 2020, 6:21 am

@bigrich I dont think you will see any gain in velocity. When I was testing with the 308 using different size flash holes I found the small flash hole in Lapua 1.6mm gave me 20fps slower than a large flash hole of 1.8mm. However the smaller flash hole gave a better ES and SD and also grouped better.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Feb 2020, 6:33 am

Flyer wrote:I use BR4 primers mate. I haven't been able to verify this, but I've been told by a local gunsmith (who's also a national benchrest champion) that BR4 and 450 primers are the same. The only difference is they are batch tested and the most consistent batches are labelled BR4 and the rest are 450. They both have 0.025" thick cups compared to 0.020" for the 400 primers.

I did find this page which lists some very slight differences, but I think 0.0005" difference is within margin-of-error/tolerance, so there's still a good chance they're the same primer: http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
!

CCI say that you use the standard data with BR4 primers, which means the charges are the same between 400s and BR4 the difference is only the cup thickness.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products ... aspx?id=27
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 10 Feb 2020, 7:49 am

Bigrich a simple change from ADI to Alliant reloader powders adds 100-150fps for the 358win, 200 to 250gr :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 10 Feb 2020, 7:16 pm

SCJ429 wrote:CCI say that you use the standard data with BR4 primers, which means the charges are the same between 400s and BR4 the difference is only the cup thickness.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products ... aspx?id=27

Thanks for the link. Nothing better than going to the source foe accurate info :thumbsup:
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Feb 2020, 8:20 pm

I swapped 450 for my BR4 in a 223 shooting 80 VLD and it shot with lower ES. I did the same with my 6BR and the ES went up no matter what I did. I am always learning something.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles