T3 204

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

T3 204

Post by Stix » 05 Feb 2020, 11:36 pm

Im sharing this more for a laugh than anything...

I experienced the deepest sense of disapointment ive ever had from shooting a .44" group on the weekend... :lol:

All because i shot my best ever centrefire group on the weekend... :unknown:

So i was just checking hunting loads in my go to stock standard in 204, while load testing a bullet in another rifle...

To be completely honest & fair, its just an anamoly...i mean the load is pretty good, but i did actually pull the third shot slightly left, but when the rifle came back to battery, i couldnt see the overlapped hole... :unknown:

So...what did i do...???...what did i say...???...

Well when looked at the target a second time through the scope, i just said 'well f*** me' & laughed...
Then i sat back for a minute with a smile...had another look, then went on to shoot a very disapointing .44" group with a different rifle... (lets face ut--ANYTHING is going to be a letdown after that...!!... :lol:

If i could just understand why some groups print similar to this, & other seemingly identical handloaded ammo thats been shot well sprays to 3 inches at 200, id be a happy man...

But...until then, i think ill scan & print this target & turn it 90 degrees clockwise & stick it on the fridge...& bugger it...might even throw a copy in the ammo box & glovebox too... :lol:

Ok enough blabber...
Here's the group...

40gr Vmax...3 consecutive shots...fed from the mag...
So thats 3 of those bullets in the picture went through that hole in the paper.. :unknown: :clap: . No bull$hit:lol: :lol: :lol:
2020-02-05 23.53.01.jpg
My best ever centrefire group
2020-02-05 23.53.01.jpg (358.83 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

The load was 27.2 of 2208.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: T3 204

Post by Diamond Jim » 05 Feb 2020, 11:39 pm

Is it too early to retire? Great group.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Flyer » 06 Feb 2020, 12:50 am

Stix wrote:If i could just understand why some groups print similar to this, & other seemingly identical handloaded ammo thats been shot well sprays to 3 inches at 200, id be a happy man...

It's the bane of every shooter. A lot of the time it's human error, even when you're convinced it's not. So much can go wrong at every stage of the process – from reloading, to shooting position, to wind and weather and things we probably haven't even thought of. All those little holes in the Swiss cheese that can either line up for the perfect sequence of shots . . . or not.

Another reason has to do with the rifle's natural variability and the laws of statistics. A rifle may print a 1" group at 100m over 10 shots – that's a decent rifle – and some shots might even go through the same hole. If you were to shoot those shots in isolation, you might get lucky and put the first three through one hole whilst the next seven impact all around. But it won't happen every time.

The other problem is – as we all know – it is very difficult to shoot consistently over 10 consecutive shots or more. This is where the top shooters have it over us mere mortals: they can shoot consistently, and they generally have very consistent rifles and ammo. They also go to great lengths to ensure that consistency – much more than most of us. Most of us don't weigh every case and projectile, or load to within a granule (not grain) of powder, or turn necks or tune barrels. Even the choice of projectile can mean a light, flat base bullet may be more accurate over shorter distances whilst a heavy boat-tail takes 100m or so to stablise.

A good rifle will always shoot good groups, but it will shoot some groups better than others. A good shooter will do the same. To shoot bullets through the same hole consistently is pretty crazy when you think about it.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2020, 6:51 am

Looks like you found a cheaper 20 cal bullet than the Blitzkings which shoots well in your rifle. Nice shooting too, well done.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 06 Feb 2020, 6:57 am

Unfortunately not scj...

This is a different rifle.
These 40Vmax dont shoot in thst rifle you're thinking of.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2020, 8:50 pm

I think you should send that Sako to me, I would love to have a tinker with it. I am going to try some 40 gr Speer TNT when I run out of Blitzkings.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 07 Feb 2020, 10:19 pm

Stix wrote:Im sharing this more for a laugh than anything...

I experienced the deepest sense of disapointment ive ever had from shooting a .44" group on the weekend... :lol:

All because i shot my best ever centrefire group on the weekend... :unknown:

So i was just checking hunting loads in my go to stock standard in 204, while load testing a bullet in another rifle...

To be completely honest & fair, its just an anamoly...i mean the load is pretty good, but i did actually pull the third shot slightly left, but when the rifle came back to battery, i couldnt see the overlapped hole... :unknown:

So...what did i do...???...what did i say...???...

Well when looked at the target a second time through the scope, i just said 'well f*** me' & laughed...
Then i sat back for a minute with a smile...had another look, then went on to shoot a very disapointing .44" group with a different rifle... (lets face ut--ANYTHING is going to be a letdown after that...!!... :lol:

If i could just understand why some groups print similar to this, & other seemingly identical handloaded ammo thats been shot well sprays to 3 inches at 200, id be a happy man...

But...until then, i think ill scan & print this target & turn it 90 degrees clockwise & stick it on the fridge...& bugger it...might even throw a copy in the ammo box & glovebox too... :lol:

Ok enough blabber...
Here's the group...

40gr Vmax...3 consecutive shots...fed from the mag...
So thats 3 of those bullets in the picture went through that hole in the paper.. :unknown: :clap: . No bull$hit:lol: :lol: :lol:
2020-02-05 23.53.01.jpg

The load was 27.2 of 2208.

Thats some pretty damn fine shooting there in anyones language Stix.....
Shooting groups like that gives you a hell of a lot of confidence that anything thats unlucky enough to be in the crosshairs is a goner thats for sure....
Now....when are you trying out for the olympics....cause thats a gold medal right there..... :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Feb 2020, 10:30 pm

LOL...thanks Brinny...
Id love to say its all me, but as i said, its an anomoly mate...

Its a pile of once fired factory brass given to me that ive weight sorted out for a hunting batch...(because it was starting to get particularly painful when i lost case number 46 out of 50 in a paddock from my expensive good batch) .

I was just checking a load & every now & then 6 cases come together that print like this...

But you are dead right...when you find a load, fully prep & tumble the brass to a shiny white gold & sight in with a group of 3 all touching at 100, it does the confidence wonders & you dont miss anything that night... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles