Does anyone know a rough price for rifle shipping

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Does anyone know a rough price for rifle shipping

Post by No1_49er » 14 May 2019, 10:33 am

1sikxt wrote:Hi guys,

Wondering if any one can give me a rough price to ship a rifle from VIC to QLD, Rockhampton to be exact. Just need a rough guide.

Your question is a little bit "open", and could be 2 part.

The actual cost of shipping will be determined by whichever carriage service you will be using. AusPost have rates related to size of package, and also a maximum length. I have often received (from my dealer) rifles that have had their butt stock removed, or the barrelled action removed from the stock. A smaller package, and less likelihood of stock breakage. I sometimes ask that the sender breaks the rifle down like that.

The second part of the movement is the fact that an interstate transfer must be "dealer to dealer". Unfortunately, that cost depends on the dealer. Some are extraordinarily greedy, others more realistic. The transfer paperwork probably takes them around 3 - 5 minutes at most.

When receiving interstate transfers, my Qld dealer is quite generous and usually charges $50, which includes the brokerage fee that is permitted by the Act and Regulations. Return business is the name of the game - don't piss your customers off.

Note that the Act (Qld) states that the dealer is entitled to a brokerage fee from the acquirer in the amount prescribed under a regulation, which in the case of Qld is $10 + gst ($11). But, it is not obligatory that he charge that fee.
On that basis, I wonder if it isn't time that the legislators also prescribe a (maximum) permitted fee for transferring out of state?
As other posters have indicated, some dealers are simply being outrageously greedy, and their charges can in no way be justified.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GojiraSteve » 14 May 2019, 10:43 am

I paid $45 from somewhere in SA (guessing Adelaide) to sydney back in march. The bloke I bought it from mentioned in passing that it was about that amount no matter which carrier you went with.

My LGS (Safari Firearms) charged an additional $50 for the transfer once they received it. From memory it would have been double the transfer fee if the gun wasn't second hand though.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 14 May 2019, 2:13 pm

In Vic it's not uncommon for dealers to charge an additional fee to transfer from a certain QLD dealer.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles