Mauser k98k

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Mauser k98k

Post by bladeracer » 06 Mar 2020, 3:30 am

wanneroo wrote:[quote="bladeracer"

Do you mean the Norma M41 FMJ stuff?
I'd like to find 1000rds of the M41 stuff if anybody has a source for it. It's astonishingly accurate in all four Swedes I've used it in.[/quote

I think all the original surplus out of Sweden has long dried up.

On occasion it can be found in small quantities at larger gun shows here in the USA.

The stuff I used to shoot was '76 production I think, the stuff I have now is '06 production, long after it was phased out of military use as far as I'm aware. I'm assuming it's still being made in batches? I'll write to Norma and ask them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 Mar 2020, 11:28 am

bladeracer wrote:
The stuff I used to shoot was '76 production I think, the stuff I have now is '06 production, long after it was phased out of military use as far as I'm aware. I'm assuming it's still being made in batches? I'll write to Norma and ask them.

The latest Swedish military boxed ammo I have seen is 1986-1987. But perhaps they have made it from time to time for service rifle matches in Sweden. I know for instance the Swiss recently restarted production of GP 11 7.5 Swiss as the 700 million rounds in stock from the end of production in 1994 have been mostly used up by the military and shooters.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 06 Mar 2020, 12:34 pm

wanneroo wrote:[quote="bladeracer"

The stuff I used to shoot was '76 production I think, the stuff I have now is '06 production, long after it was phased out of military use as far as I'm aware. I'm assuming it's still being made in batches? I'll write to Norma and ask them.[/quote

The latest Swedish military boxed ammo I have seen is 1986-1987. But perhaps they have made it from time to time for service rifle matches in Sweden. I know for instance the Swiss recently restarted production of GP 11 7.5 Swiss as the 700 million rounds in stock from the end of production in 1994 have been mostly used up by the military and shooters.

Response from Norma was less useful than a Green voter in a bushfire. They just directed me to look at their pretty products on their website. Nothing about what the M41 was made for, why production lasted so long, or if it is still being produced, or if the bullet is available to bandleaders. I can only suggest buying up any M41 you come across.

EDIT: I just noticed the autocorrect error there, but I like it. Should be "handloaders" of course :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 07 Mar 2020, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 07 Mar 2020, 3:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:Do you mean the Norma M41 FMJ stuff?
I'd like to find 1000rds of the M41 stuff if anybody has a source for it. It's astonishingly accurate in all four Swedes I've used it in.

I just picked up another 7 boxes of M41 out at the Bathurst gunshow today and I might be onto some more.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Mar 2020, 3:28 pm

Bill wrote:[quote="bladeracer"Do you mean the Norma M41 FMJ stuff?
I'd like to find 1000rds of the M41 stuff if anybody has a source for it. It's astonishingly accurate in all four Swedes I've used it in.[/quote

I just picked up another 7 boxes of M41 out at the Bathurst gunshow today and I might be onto some more.

Nice find :-)
My brother is in Canberra so he can hang onto ammo up there for me if you come across a nice stash for sale ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles