Which five rifles should I own in Australia

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Which five rifles should I own in Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Mar 2018, 5:29 pm

bigrich wrote:sorry that's 7. cant do five, but if i had to, take out the 22-250 and the Carl Gustav

Actually bigrich, thats eight i count on your list...

See.......i knew there was adverse effects on the human brain from not having daylight saving..(take the 22-250 out--thats truely certifyable.. :crazy: ..!!. )
:lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 05 Mar 2018, 6:15 pm

:lol: good on ya stix. i got pretty well much everything i need now. but there's always room for another Krico..... :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by simmo » 09 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

I’m predominantly a target shooter and My current collection is:
6.5x55 (old original M38 that is a classy old thing)
.308W
.260Rem
.223Rem

Number 5...well...SMLE is very tempting as has been said before already every true Aussie should own one at least once! If not then I’m thinking 7mmSTW or a 300 WinMag
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by slickncghia » 09 Mar 2018, 7:09 pm

I have 3 rifles... But If I knew now what I did then.... I reckon the perfect 3 rifle combo not worrying about availability/ammo cost

17hmr/wsm- rabbits for eating and close range foxes/cats

243- roos goats long foxes dogs and target shooting/long range fun

Deer rifle. Pick your big Calliber. I like a bit different things 338-06 but could be anything in that 3000ftlb kind of range

I own a 22lr. And now days if I had my time again.... I might still get one. But wouldn't spend much or get something silly like a double badger 22lr / 20 gauge
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by DEADMEAT » 11 Mar 2018, 6:08 pm

22LR Brno
22-250 Tikka T3
7mm-08 Steyr Scout
12g Miroku
Flammenwerfer
DEADMEAT
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by bigrich » 11 Mar 2018, 6:18 pm

DEADMEAT wrote:22LR Brno
22-250 Tikka T3
7mm-08 Steyr Scout
12g Miroku
Flammenwerfer

A FLAMMENWERFER ! ya supposed to kill stuff first before you BBQ it mate....... :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Growler » 11 Mar 2018, 6:27 pm

For what its worth. I reckon
22lr Mines a lever Erma
22-250 Not got yet
30-30 mines a 94
.303 mines a #5
Aaaaand a shotty 12ga mines a Winchester 37 single
But will probably sell the 30-30 as ive got the #5 for closer shots and replace with a #1 mk iii Lithgow
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 11 Mar 2018, 7:43 pm

22LR
12g
308 lever
6.5 creedmoor chassis setup
Warwick wfa1
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Mar 2018, 8:15 pm

if only five, my revised list
22lr
22 hornet
22-250
6.5x55
30-06
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by ShotgunRifleorBoth » 03 Jan 2021, 7:13 pm

I can't decide!!!!

.22lr single shot heavy barrel
.22lr single shot
.22lr magazine fed repeater (and which one)
.22M
.22 over .410 Savage 24
.22 over 20G Savage 24C
.38-40
.44M Lever
.303 (which one??? )
and then which shotgun/s should I choose to go with them???
And do I count the .410 lever with solids as a rifle, or shotgun???

And then how do I fight the kids off, who have dibs on them all???

Oh dear...

In all seriousness you use what you have; everyone needs a .22lr for cheap shooting, and practice. Some love a .17HMR or the .22M. Some like the .223, or the .308. A .303 is nostalga in original form, and bloody handy if set up right. I recently acquired a Savage 24C .22 over 20G, which I am half way through resurrecting (and it shoots to same point of aim!). I actually find a single shot Cooey .410 to be extremely handy (once you change the sights so the bead actually lines up with point of aim, so you point correctly>> they use the same base for .410, 20G, and 12G... so to get it to 'point' you need to add a lot of height to the .410).
What you have, and what you use, are personal preference, based on what you intend shooting, where, and what you enjoy; this changes as you get older! Never thought I would be enjoying hunting pigs with a lever action .410 in scrub, but it works!
ShotgunRifleorBoth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bello » 06 Jan 2021, 12:46 pm

Hi guys
1. Air rifle...177 or 22, I prefer 22 as its soooo cheap and the kids can plink ALL day for next to nothing.
2. 22LR: great training tool, great all rounder for small stuff up close...cheap for plinking....heaps of different ammo for it
3. 223: Great thin skinned game gun. Loads of ammo, can find this ammo everywhere. Low recoil.
4. 243: Great all round caliber. Different weight projectiles to do various tasks. Moderate recoil.
5. 308: Good caliber for larger game. Heaps of ammo choices. Good for longer range targets. Noticeable recoil.
6. 12G shot gun: for close up or scrub work.
7. 300 Win mag: For large game, or longer shots. Not a good choice for beginners as recoil is not kind.
8. 45/70 Fun, and lots of it. Very strong recoil. Especially my hand loads :lol:
9. 6.5 CM...mandatory caliber in NSW if you have a man bun, fines apply if you use this caliber without a man bun :allegedly: :lol: :sarcasm:
ok so you've worked out I can't count.. :lol:

On a more serious note, if I were just permitted the basics...22LR, 223, 308 12G..these calibers will cover most of the game the average Joe will come across. Ammo is readily available anywhere in OZ, and on the cheaper side to feed.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 06 Jan 2021, 2:36 pm

22lr
12 gauge
223 rem
270 win or 284 win (cos minimum for some deer is 270)
300win

or if you wanna be a sook

.177 air rifle
.410 gauge
22 magnum
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2021, 4:54 pm

Bello wrote:ok so you've worked out I can't count.. :lol:

On a more serious note, if I were just permitted the basics...22LR, 223, 308 12G..these calibers will cover most of the game the average Joe will come across. Ammo is readily available anywhere in OZ, and on the cheaper side to feed.

Agree 100%.

Does my head in when someone says they have 20 or 30 firearms. But I guess it's horses for courses.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 06 Jan 2021, 5:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Agree 100%.

Does my head in when someone says they have 20 or 30 firearms. But I guess it's horses for courses.

Why? should be more of it, firearms owners should own as many as possible, and encourage others to own as many as possible, also buy new as often as possible to increase the amount of firearms entering the country legally.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 07 Jan 2021, 6:11 am

i'll weigh in on this . i've had some guns for hunting, and some like old swede mausers , krico's ect because i have a sense of history and am a bit of a collector . i used to do the hot rod/muscle car thing , so a few of my rifles have been "built up" :D
my current rifles are -

1, cz 452 american in 22lr .after buying and selling a few this one is silly accurate .it's been bedded, has a "lowey" trigger spring, and now wears a old fixed 6 power "wide view" jap made nikko stirling , which makes for excellent off hand shooting.

2. a early martini custom 22 hornet . this rifle was built in the late 60's from what i can gather , using a modified bsa CF2 stock ,with the nice skip line checkering and monte carlo cheek rest . the side of the receiver has been machined down, the feed ramp has been jeweled . unfortunately the barrel was stuffed so it's being redone at the moment. lovely balanced compact rifle with a great trigger . pests,plinking

3. my 1974 winchester 222 xtr , silly accurate rifle . with a simple great trigger . bedded, floated and a swan barrel . varmits

4, weatherby vangaurd s2 223. very well made rifle , better with a timney trigger but . after getting the barrel docked from 24 to 21 inches it shoots almost as good as my 222 . heavy but . this may get traded for a tikka t3 ..... ;) feild rifle comp,ute gun

5. my all-round 6.5x55 winchester CRF super grade is going down the road . i'm waiting on the pta for a 270 win sako l61 finnbear .bit more reach and hitting power over the 6.5 swede . it's a work of art with the best trigger i've come across . deer , pigs. general use

6, 358 winchester 70 . 1977 slick push feed , converted from 243 to 358 . extremely accurate . cuts a verticle slot at 100 through a 5 power scope and pigs just drop on the spot when ya hit'em with this beauty . close range scrub/bush gun

7 , m17 30-06 . this gem was converteted by churchill of london to a sporter, probably in the late 50's to 60's . it has a proper english sporter stock , basic checkering , not walnut though :( it does have express sights and the front/rear receivers have been machined round to accept mauser/mod 70 front sight bases . not sure what i'm doing with this one yet . it shoulders great , it may get converted to 9.3x62 and built into a old school "africa" rifle . do the "big game comp" at my local range and/or book a trip to the territory :P use, undecided :D

so that's it at the moment , they all get used and they all have their uses . mind you , my local GS has a great tikka m55 ....... :lol:

also has anyone seen that siamese mauser on ssaa gun sales in 45-70 ;) you know you want it .......... :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Last edited by bigrich on 07 Jan 2021, 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 07 Jan 2021, 8:34 am

Brno/CZ 22 rimfire . Buy ammo anywhere .
223 Spotlighting rifle . bolt action , 4 to 12 x 50 scope Buy ammo anywhere .
243 varmint style rifle , heavy barrel , bolt action , bipod , longer range powerful scope . Buy ammo anywhere
308 lighter walk about , stalking type rifle , bolt action 2 to 7 scope . Buy ammo anywhere
300 WM lever action like a Browning BLR , 2 to 7 scope or red dot , extra knock down on bigger game , and thick scrub . fast follow up shots . Ammo is common in most gun shops .
I know it's boring but it's also deadly practical .
A shotgun is not a rifle .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ShotgunRifleorBoth » 07 Jan 2021, 8:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Agree 100%.

I consider myself lucky that I have some firearms passed down to me, some firearms that were work tools, and some firearms just because... I have acquired a number of firearms that came to me needing TLC (read cheap, for some of them), which I have provided, over time. Some have an interesting history. The eldest ones have been in the family over 100 years. My intention is to split them up between my children, when I cark it!
ShotgunRifleorBoth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 08 Jan 2021, 7:36 am

Oldbloke wrote:

Agree 100%.

You are obviously unaware of the hotrodder's dictum.
If some is good and more is better then too much is just right!
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 08 Jan 2021, 7:55 am

I had a friend a bee keeper at Geurie near Dubbo That had hundreds of guns they lined nearly every wall in his house , Verticle gun racks along every wall . This was before gun registration and licensing . I dropped in to see him once but he had moved and I lost contact with him . God knows what happened when he had to register that lot . A local said he retired to Dubbo township but no listings . I suppressed the urge to collect because I knew that one day it would just become a big problem for me or my wife . The good old days of gun ownership and easy hunting are gone . I am happy I lived through that period .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by LawrenceA » 08 Jan 2021, 8:11 pm

Depends on why you want them and more importantly if you reload.
You say rifles so that leaves out pistols and shotguns.
My shooting is generally at close range and I have a penchant for Marlins sooo....

Marlin 39A Lever in 22lr
Tikka in 6.5x55 or 7/08
Marlin 336 in 30-30
Marlin 1895 in 45-70 or Brno in 458WM if you can get camels or buffalo.
A muzzleloader coz they is just so much damn fun!

Being a caster and reloader the cost of the 45-70 and 30-30 are about $30/100
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2021, 9:29 pm

LawrenceA wrote:A muzzleloader coz they is just so much damn fun!

Lol, yes they are.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 10 Jan 2021, 9:11 am

1.....22LR
2.....22MAG
3....223REM
4....308WIN
5....12g TRAP
That will deal with almost every thing.......... :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 10 Jan 2021, 9:25 am

Well I have already contributed to this thread about 3 years ago but reckon I have changed my mind again.

.22LR
.223REM
.243WIN
.308WIN
.300WM

Or perhaps drop the .243 and chuck a 45/70 in for good measure.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2021, 10:30 am

22lr

22 hornet

222 rem

270 win

9.3x62

this is my list , this week....... ;)

the bare minimum , 22lr , 222 , 270 . but that's no fun :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Jan 2021, 10:37 am

Yeah mate I fully understand that, I seem to change my mind frequently also. My list is quite boring I guess. Love the Hornet, great little round.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2021, 4:14 pm

JimTom wrote:Yeah mate I fully understand that, I seem to change my mind frequently also. My list is quite boring I guess. Love the Hornet, great little round.

the way i see it the hornet is a "quiet" round that can be handloaded from flatter shooting light projectiles to heavier 50 gn for a "ear shot" on larger game . the fact it's reloadable gives it flexability for smaller properties . at least that's my excuse for having one ........ :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Jan 2021, 4:44 pm

Perfect mate, sounds like you’ve justifies it just fine. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 10 Jan 2021, 9:01 pm

22LR - Bunnies and foxes.

223 Rem - Roos, goats, and smaller critters at longer range.

308 Win - Medium game longer range, larger stuff closer.

12 gauge - When kids are on your lawn.

45-70 Govt / 44 Magnum - scrub hunting piggeroos and larger critters.

That should keep pretty much anyone entertained.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by snag » 10 Jan 2021, 9:23 pm

.22lr - CZ varmint or equivalent
.219 Zipper, preferably in a Martini Cadet
.25/06
.338-06
.30/30 Winchester 94 ('cos everyone needs one of these)
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 10 Jan 2021, 9:28 pm

snag wrote:.22lr - CZ varmint or equivalent
.219 Zipper, preferably in a Martini Cadet
.25/06
.338-06
.30/30 Winchester 94 ('cos everyone needs one of these)

always been interested in 338-06 or A-Square.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles