Tikka upgrades?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka upgrades?

Post by Baitlayer » 06 Apr 2020, 8:52 pm

G'day guys.Been away for work for awhile but back home now.Stuck at home like most everyone else,so thought this might be a good time to look at some upgrades for my Tikka Varmint in 6.5 CM.(left handed). Considering a Yodave spring,Tactical bolt handle and Titanium recoil lug.Also considering pillar bedding kit but not sure if it is worthwhile. The other thing I am considering is a GRS stock replacement if I can convince the minister War and Finance to loosen the purse strings a little.My question is , which if any has someone here done on a Tikka and of how much value was it in terms of improved performance?
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Tikka upgrades?

Post by in2anity » 06 Apr 2020, 10:01 pm

The recoil lug might not be so applicable to the 6.5cm - do you actually have issues with a damaged fit there? Also are you not happy with the factory trigger? IMO factory Tikka triggers are very good out of the box, as good as many aftermarkets. Also the bolt handle on a Tikka is not what I’d call small - nothing like a Remi or Howa, they’re not uncomfortable to use even under comp conditions. Those GRS stocks are pretty nice though - better for supported style shooting, if that’s what you’re doing. That might be worth the money, mainly for comfort.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baitlayer » 06 Apr 2020, 11:18 pm

No I don't really have an issue with the factory trigger or bolt handle.Just wondering if changes to these really improve performance or if they are really more cosmetic /fashionable.As to the recoil lug, there are no obvious signs of physical damage.Again wondering about the value of change.Yes ,am very impressed with GRS stock.Some time ago fired a mates rifle fitted with a Berserk model and found extremely comfortable to shoot.I do think this is probably more likely to bring about improved performance in me rather than the rifle.If I do my part,can easily hold groups of less than MOA at 100 and 200 with a variety of factory loads and will ring the gongs out to 400 so far.Probably just bored at the moment as work has shut down with no timeline to a restart.So watching a lot of youtube and probably overthinking things.
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 07 Apr 2020, 7:38 am

I doubt changing the bolt handle and trigger will give you any gains, nor the recoil lug if your current lug is still in pristine condition. I have a Tikka 308 (which obviously boots more than the 6.5cm) and my recoil lug is still in perfect condition, after probably close to 1000 shots. Granted a lot of those were not off a rest, meaning the gun/your-body “gives” more, rather than shocking into the bedding. Just keep an eye on it, and only fix it if you need to.

W.R.T to comfort - absolutely will improved comfort improve your scores - improved comfort equates to improved repeatability. Improved comfort slows the fatigue, and fatigue is the big killer when it comes to your scores.

It sounds like you've got it shooting pretty well already - you might see a slight performance gain out of a new stock. Then again, I still use the factory tupperware, and my gun shoots better than I can (shooting my handloads).

If you're not already doing it, I think getting into handloading will give you a lot to think about - that's an almost bottomless pit of development... that's where accuracy can be squeezed out.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Apr 2020, 9:19 am

Try the SAUER upgrade ? :sarcasm:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Apr 2020, 1:13 pm

I have used a YoDave trigger Spring on my Tikkas and I rate the triggers better than my Sako set trigger after this modification.

The Tupperware stock works so well that you will not see an improvement in accuracy after swapping to a GRS. I use a GRS Bifrost and like the look and feel of this stock. It is quite chunky and may be too big for those with smaller hands.

Not much else to do with a Tikka other that show the poor Sauer shooters how good your groups are. :allegedly:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Apr 2020, 1:28 pm

Love ya thinking SCJ429. I've still got the plastic thingo on the bolt and if it splits, I'll replace it but until then...

Tikka were made to shoot, so just take it out a shoot it.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Apr 2020, 3:35 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Love ya thinking SCJ429. I've still got the plastic thingo on the bolt and if it splits, I'll replace it but until then...

Tikka were made to shoot, so just take it out a shoot it.

I have not replaced the plastic bits on some Tikkas, they work well and are durable. Replace them if you want to personalise your rifle. I am like you RJ, I love my Tikkas because they work well for a budget rifle. Had lots of success using them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Apr 2020, 4:03 pm

If you are just looking to customise your tikka - mine had stock plasti dipped with effect. Not everyones cup of tea - but it’s different to black plastic lol.
F17093A6-3ABC-4EFD-A8CC-43F8FDEECA43.jpeg
F17093A6-3ABC-4EFD-A8CC-43F8FDEECA43.jpeg (961.75 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by solarpak » 08 Apr 2020, 5:46 pm

I would think any aftermarket stock such as a GRS would increase the rifles weight. All depends what you want out of the rifle. I glass bedded two Tikka T3 Hunters but this didn't improve accuracy - they were accurate out of the box - it was just my personal preference to get them glass bedded.

One thing i like very much about the Tikka Sporting rifles (not varmint models) is their weight. - around the 2.8-2.9 kgs. I am looking at adding a T3x sporter in 223 to the collection later this year and want something that will weigh in the order of 3.5 kgs scoped. The neat thing about the Tikka T3 /T3x platform is lots of aftermarket bits and bobs.

Same goes with the Howa marque.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baitlayer » 09 Apr 2020, 5:03 pm

Seems like I was over thinking things.Yes my varmint does have a fair bit of heft but I mainly shoot from supported positions these days,so not really a problem for me.My son just bought a T3x in 22/250 Lite Stainless.Again really accurate out of the box and incredibly light compared to mine.
Tassie, did you do the dip yourself. I do like that look. I like the idea of unique look.Toyed with the idea of painting my stock to personalise it some.What is the brake you have on it.
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

I I can’t take credit for it - a gun shop owner developed the rifle and I just had to be at the right place at the right time. (260 rem). Was a heavy barrel tikka and cut/RE crowned a heap of times to find the optimum barrel length - ended 21.5 inches - for max speed vs specific load.
My understanding was that the dip was done free of charge - and shop owner put on display on behalf of dipping business - value was $150.
I’m surprised at how resilient the dip is, I’ve dropped steel bolts on it and it doesn’t mark. The brake is nothing fancy - it’s from the gun guy off eBay.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Jarhead » 12 Apr 2020, 9:01 pm

Hey Baitlayer,

I just put a deposit on a Tikka T3X Lite 6.5 Creedmoor, also LH. It arrives in June and I cannot wait! Hopefully the range is open by then...…

The salesman advised me that a Lite can be upgraded to TACT A1, by purchasing and swapping stock, rail, foregrip, etc.

I have been looking into this to determine method and cost. Found nothing online about it! Reading your post I was wondering if this type of mod would interest you, and if yes, I can keep you abreast of what is found....

R's

Jarhead.

p.s. SCJ429, are you a Mustang man?
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kel » 13 Apr 2020, 11:56 am

I modded my 308W CTR with an SCSA chassis, and put the muzzle break from my TAC A1 on the CTR. The CTR trigger is decent but not as nice as the TAC A1 trigger. I had to mod the magpul AICS magazines to fit the Chassis but with that done the mags are feeding fine. I also added a QD sling which the chassis is designed to accept.

Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Baitlayer » 14 Apr 2020, 8:58 pm

Thanks for that reply Tassie.Is the dip provider a local firm or is it available interstate?
Jarhead,haven"t heard of that option.Wonder whether doing with aftermarket would work out more expensive than buying a TAC A1 straight up.Would be OK if you wanted to do it over a period of time I suppose.
Kel .love the look.Will have to see if they do one in left hand.Probably not,but can live in hope.Is that the standard finish or did you trick it up?
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Kel » 15 Apr 2020, 5:51 pm

Baitlayer wrote:

Kel .love the look.Will have to see if they do one in left hand.Probably not,but can live in hope.Is that the standard finish or did you trick it up?

I painted it, added an MDT grip and some mlok rails.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Mark » 27 Apr 2020, 1:26 am

I lightened my trigger to 2 lbs. And replaced the recoil lug to stainless Then i was really bored one day and made this stock. :)

1436583962792.jpg
1436583962792.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 7875 times
Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Apr 2020, 6:58 pm

Nice work Mark, you are pretty handy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm

FYI to tikka buyers.
I took my teslong bore scope to a mates place tonight - he has 14 centre fires, of which 5 are tikkas that range from 222 to 300wm and some are at least a couple years old.
Every barrel looked the same. No tool marks, no copper, no burrs, edges, heat fatigue, etc - just ultra smooth, sharp edged rifling and cleans as a whistle.

He also has a few other brands, sako - howa, rem700, m18 etc - and all these barrels whilst pretty good, all had minor tooling marks, little bits of coppering, rougher rifling edges, etc. Even the sako / being a fair few years older.

In the real world - these minor differences might not add up to much and they are all fixable and will probably self rectify (I’m going via this same issue myself), but it’s very interesting to see the internal quality of tikka barrels. Quite amazing.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by MinuteofGoat » 01 May 2020, 6:08 pm

I've got a T3 Varmint in 308. The only mod I've done is the trigger spring. Yesterday I shot my best 3 shot group ever at .370" at 100m with handloads. The rifle has probably shot 200 rounds or so.

The bolt handle upgrades seem to be purely cosmetic, same with the bolt shroud. I'd swap the stock if I had the money, not because I don't like the factory one bit just because I want to. My recoil lug still looks honeymoon fresh so I don't see a reason to swap that either.

I thought I had a 1.5moa rifle for a long time until a friend shot a group much better than I ever did. I realised I was the limitation so worked on that more.
MinuteofGoat
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by solarpak » 01 May 2020, 10:46 pm

The Tikka T3/ T3x platform certainly is a lovely rifle with a host of aftermarket accessories available. I particularly like the Hunter Stainless model with the fluted barrel and have a 308 - also had a 25-06 that i now regret selling off - but with a sako 85 finnlight in 270 also in the stable i guess the 25-06 was a bit redundant for my needs.
But Beretta have nailed the Tikka T3 /T3x range over the last 10-15 years - lots of variants to keep everyone happy.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 01 May 2020, 11:04 pm

Is it true tikka and sako barrels come out of the same factory?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 02 May 2020, 7:23 am

in2anity wrote:Is it true tikka and sako barrels come out of the same factory?

Not only. They come out of the same hammer forging machine.
You would have to think that for their "budget" rifle they would not be as 'choosy' as with their upmarket brand.
I don't know if Sako forges the chamber in one with the rest of the barrel. If they do then that certainly would be a positive feature for accuracy.
Although I am a little nonplussed.
I have read so much lavish praise of the Tikka T3 on these and other pages as to wonder why they would require any modification whatsoever.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 02 May 2020, 9:30 am

I believe it was SCJ who said it, but as far as I can tell, they just tmight be the "best factory barrel on the market". But TBH, I found my Tikka rather boring. With new toys, I prefer the journey over the destination, and with that tikka there was no journey.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 May 2020, 9:39 am

In2 - I cannot agree more.
A friend of mine owns all tikkas and Sakos.
I own 1...
I’ve told him previously - I know I can buy a tikka a leppy vx3 and hit 1 moa or better consistently across most calibres but why bother? Where is the learning process?
That’s why I have so many varied combinations...I enjoy the learning and trying to improve but tikkas are almost too good and take that away a little...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by firstguns » 15 May 2020, 8:03 pm

Has anyone seen a tikka roughtech in a dealer yet? According to the tikka catalogue they're new for 2020. Dealer handed me a Sako A7 roughtech pro, and the stock was honestly something else - had the feel and look of a good aftermarket like an HS or something. Also came with a very attractive fluted bolt which just looked great.

Was wondering what the cost was likely to be on the tikka, from a dealer. Budget/chief purchasing officer probably won't stretch to the Sako, but if the Tikka is just a couple hundred more expensive than the base model, I could probably make that work.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 May 2020, 8:23 pm

in2anity wrote:I believe it was SCJ who said it, but as far as I can tell, they just tmight be the "best factory barrel on the market". But TBH, I found my Tikka rather boring. With new toys, I prefer the journey over the destination, and with that tikka there was no journey.

I think you need to buy yourself a Mossberg rifle and document your journey taking the rifle from woeful to mediocrity. Personally I hate shooting thousands of rounds trying to get some piece of rubbish to shoot acceptably.

You see that Sako and Tikka rifle barrels only have the Lion proof mark as one goes on a Tikka and the next on a Sako.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 15 May 2020, 8:34 pm

Nah, not yet been a tad difficult at the moment due to travel restrictions.

Here's a clip on the Roughteck, no mention of it in L/H but and limited calibres (more to follow) and around $1925.00

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t ... -roughtech
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 15 May 2020, 9:31 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I think you need to buy yourself a Mossberg rifle and document your journey taking the rifle from woeful to mediocrity. Personally I hate shooting thousands of rounds trying to get some piece of rubbish to shoot acceptably.

SCJ I just may have done such a thing not so long ago, in a certain publication, except it was a cheap Ruger... ;)

Usually it doesn’t take thousands of rounds. Just a few modifications that we are all very familiar with.

But in all seriousness, the crappy-ness factor of a mossberg I find alluring. If I took on such a project, would you like to read about it?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 May 2020, 9:27 am

Threads about problem rifles always make good reading. I had a friend who bought a Remington 700 in 22/250. He was a new shooter and was getting about a five inch group at 100. After we bedded it, new trigger, recrowned the barrel and hundreds of shots doing load development it could almost shoot one inch groups but still copper fouled very badly. He sold the rifle and gave up on shooting.

I wonder how his enthusiasm would have been if he bought a rifle that shot well from the start.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles