Browning X-Bolt SF MDT HS3 Chassis FDE

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Browning X-Bolt SF MDT HS3 Chassis FDE

Post by Aliqua » 09 Apr 2020, 12:25 pm

Went to my local dealer the a couple of weeks ago with the idea of picking up a Remington 700 PCR .308. Walked out having purchased a Browning X-Bolt SF MDT HS3 Chassis FDE .308.

It was a bit of an impulse buy as stupid as it sounds, I gave in to the advice of the guys behind the counter that the X-Bolt (RRP 4K, got it for 2.1k) was better. They didn't trust the barrel of the Rem 700's anymore..?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the difference between the Rem 700 PCR and the Browning X-Bolt SF?

It's a bit late but did I make the right call? Regardless PTA's have been put on hold in VIC so I'll be waiting a while... thought now was better late than never to ask. Pros/Cons of each - its for long range not for hunting.

I cant find any reviews online for the X-Bolt (except 1) as they are only being released in USA now and that is where a lot of the information/video reviews comes from.

Thanks in advance.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Browning X-Bolt SF MDT HS3 Chassis FDE

Post by solarpak » 09 Apr 2020, 1:30 pm

The X bolt platform has been reviewed quite a bit - so there shouldn't be an issue in gleaning info on the barelled action.

All you need is some decent glass that will help you shoot at long range and dial accurately.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Aliqua » 09 Apr 2020, 4:18 pm

Thanks for your advice. I will look more into the "x-bolt" rather than the full model name.

I just bought the nf NXS 8-32x56 F2 mil-r.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Apr 2020, 10:03 am

Wow, four grand RRP. You could build on a custom action for that.

I hope you got a good one, people complain about stripping the front scope base threads, broken trigger assembly bolts and accuracy issues. When you do a search on the net and you see "X bolt Junk" and "Beware" it does not inspire confidence. I hope these were just isolated problems.

You have chosen a very nice scope which is very well regarded.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Aliqua » 10 Apr 2020, 10:31 am

I'll be testing it as soon as the restrictions are lifted and if I find any issues they're going to have a seap on their hands.

However just as you said there are always some people saying good and bad things. I'm hoping for good (the good have been excellent sub moa, etc, so here is hoping!)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Apr 2020, 11:03 am

The guys in the shop were right about the quality of barrels coming from Remington. The best factory barrels seem to come from Sauer, Mauser, Sako and Tikka. Funny they are all European based companies.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Aliqua » 11 Apr 2020, 4:41 pm

I was "approved" the other day, so now I just have to wait until Saturday to pick it up, then I have to wait until the restrictions ease, and I will be sure to update the forum as to the quality of this bad boy as soon as I can! :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 20 Apr 2020, 12:00 pm

Off to go pick it up!!! Longest 30 days of my life! :D
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Apr 2020, 12:19 pm

This reply does not offer info on Browning’s it’s more to do with being sold stuff other than originally intended...I contacted my LGS about buying a brand new bolt action browning because the trigger on my browning lever gun was horrible....immediately the salesmen ( maybe know it all ) pointed me in the direction of a sauer100 because it had a very nice adjustable trigger , an moa guarantee and it was cheaper than a browning ... I’m nervous about taking advice from salesmen that quite possibly do less hunting and shooting than myself but I did take his advice and it turned out to be spot on .. I love what I have been sold and if I need a tool from my safe that is 100 per cent accurate and reliable there’s only one rifle I would grab with complete confidence ......young salesmen can be dead right with the products they push
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 20 Apr 2020, 1:00 pm

Since its been released in the USA I'm seeing more and more reviews on it and they're saying great things about its accuracy so I'm happy with the change in decision and listening to the guys behind the counter.

Let's see.... :D
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 21 Apr 2020, 7:03 pm

Brought her home yesterday. Now just waiting for a chance to sight in...
Attachments
20200421_190149.jpg
20200421_190149.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 4357 times
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rwd22 » 21 Apr 2020, 9:23 pm

Looks great mate, I love the MDT gear, I'm looking into another MDT chassis set-up at the moment.
Scope looks good on there too, I'll get myself into a nightforce sooner or later, haha.

I'm hanging to get back to the range too!
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 21 Apr 2020, 9:29 pm

The scope is incredible... spend a bit of time setting it up and even at 32x it's clearer and sharper than I expected!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Apr 2020, 10:14 pm

Looks the part - bet your itching like you’ve got crabs for the first time lol.
MDT is good gear - the locking lugs are solid and everything just lines up . I’ll take a guess You won’t be carrying it much - if it weighs as much as my set up- 6kgs...
I’m jealous of that scope - I’m contemplating one but have had a lot of success with Leo’s and not sure I want to branch out for fear of being bitten. Again lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Aliqua » 22 Apr 2020, 6:29 am

Yeah... I'm itching like you wouldn't believe! The boys pointed to the Leupold aswell but I liked the options in the nightforce like zerostop and the titanium alloy rings and the price was a little bit better.

I dont think I'll be hunting just yet haha - unless I'm proned in a tent :) .. and yeah it's not light!!!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles