First centerfire - recommendations please

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: First centerfire - recommendations please

Post by Newguy85 » 11 Apr 2020, 12:52 pm

@Steve-O, I have (an inherited) '78 Winchester 9422 XTR, which is great fun and accurate with the Nikkon scope or the iron sights. Cheap to run too, seems to love the CCI standard!

The more I look, the more I'm torn between the Howa, Tikka, and Lithgow. I honestly think I'll go with the 6.5mm Creedmore because this will be 98% a range rifle, and I'd like to go long range in the medium term.
-Winchester 9422 XTR
-Adler B-220 AW
Newguy85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Apr 2020, 1:15 pm

Newguy85 wrote:@Steve-O, I have (an inherited) '78 Winchester 9422 XTR, which is great fun and accurate with the Nikkon scope or the iron sights. Cheap to run too, seems to love the CCI standard!

The more I look, the more I'm torn between the Howa, Tikka, and Lithgow. I honestly think I'll go with the 6.5mm Creedmore because this will be 98% a range rifle, and I'd like to go long range in the medium term.

The best advice for anyone looking at getting the Creedmoor is to learn how it is spelt.

What is long range to you?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Newguy85 » 11 Apr 2020, 1:25 pm

Ah, a grammar and spelling nitpicker! Spelt is a type of grain.

Long range for me is 300m to start with, 5-600m later on. Years later I would think.
-Winchester 9422 XTR
-Adler B-220 AW
Newguy85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Apr 2020, 2:17 pm

I find that 500 and 600 metres are a long way. Lots of things can happen to your bullet on the way. I use my Tikka in 223 to practice and as a factory stock rifle it has shot 0.950" at 300 and 3.080" at 500 in competition. I don't think I could do any better with any other factory chambering.

At 1000 metres the 223 is challenging but that is not to say a 6.5 makes it easy. I have a 260 Rem AI and it can be frustrating to shoot at that distance.

When you turn 35 it is mandatory that you take a little care with the spelling of names. :drinks:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 11 Apr 2020, 2:50 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I find that 500 and 600 metres are a long way. Lots of things can happen to your bullet on the way.

Tell me about it, one of mine got distracted by a shiny object on the way once.....

Oh wait what?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 11 Apr 2020, 2:54 pm

Newguy85 wrote:Long range for me is 300m to start with, 5-600m later on. Years later I would think.

My 223 Howa HB will shoot Vs all day long on the 300m mound if you're doing your part. It's very capable on the 400m mound also. I stick to the 69gr SMKs, which you need at least a 1:9 for. +1 for the 223; such an awesome caliber and very cheap to run :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 12 Apr 2020, 11:06 am

ive got two Lithgows- a LA101 in 22lr and a LA102 in 308- they are both extremely well made , very accurate rifles. Dont listen to the naysayers-every product on earth has problems- its really how the manufacturer deals with the problems that count. As far as i observed Lithgow 'fessed up, issued a recall and dealt with the problem (albeit a touch slower than many folk would of liked). I also have a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creed- this is also a well made rifle and is capable of far better accuracy than i am capable of.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 12 Apr 2020, 4:11 pm

Paddy,
i do agree with your comment regarding the Lithgow LA102 - and the product recall that followed was conducted very efficiently. I did have a LA102 in 308 myself (which wasn't affected by the recall) which shot like a laser - but as a stalking rifle was a tad too heavy and was sold off. The problem was trying to sell a rifle - and after a lot of advertising i managed to get a grand for it !! There was a lot of stigma attached to the lithgow LA102 but i hope now they are thru that and still making the rifles.

What would be nice is a purpose built stalking rifle made by them ......

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 13 Apr 2020, 7:59 am

Newguy85 wrote:@Steve-O, I have (an inherited) '78 Winchester 9422 XTR, which is great fun and accurate with the Nikkon scope or the iron sights. Cheap to run too, seems to love the CCI standard!

Yeah I've. I ended up scoring a Winchester model 320 22lr off a relative, a while after I got my .223. So much fun to shoot all day long and mine loves the cci standards too.
If you haven't already seen it, look up "the long gun project" on YouTube. Hes an Aussie bloke, and does a 6.5 creedmoor comparo on a la102, Tikka tacA1, and the Q fix.
Interesting results. And an awesome channel.
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles