Nearest rifle range to Ballarat

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Nearest rifle range to Ballarat

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 17 Apr 2020, 10:55 am

Hi All

Just moved to Ballarat but having a challenge locating a nearby range. Is the Field and Game at Haddon shotgun only? The only SSAA range in Ballarat seems to be pistol only. Can anyone let me know what's available. Was spoilt in Brissie with Belmont just 20 mins away

Cheers
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Nearest rifle range to Ballarat

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Apr 2020, 11:54 am

G'day mate,
SSAA Little River is your best option for general shooting as well as most sub-clubs, about ab hour and a bit from Ballarat. Only closer ranges to you are VRA ranges shooting Target Rifle and F Class, some of which don't allow other types of shooting and some who make provision for sighting in hunting rifles after competitions occasionally. Haddon is shotgun and bow hunters, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2020, 12:05 pm

Have u asked the LGS?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 17 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm

There’s a rifle range at Cobaw ssaa , probably about the same distance.
I think they’re all closed due to the China virus
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 1:42 pm

as No1 has said ssaa little river would probably suit your needs best without knowing what you are after
eagle park has an array of sub clubs that are pretty well run
there is a public range with a 600mm dia gong at 500m that a few people are impressed with if they can hit it :lol:
its pretty well known l have a pretty low opinion of the ssaa but if you put your efforts into what you are doing and stay away from the clicks it can be a very enjoyable day out :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 17 Apr 2020, 3:40 pm

VRA have a good website with a complete* list. Check that out eith google maps?
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Apr 2020, 4:05 pm

Nearly all VRA clubs have embraced the Hunting Rifle Class and there are also Service Rifle classes that can be shot. It would be rare to be turned away if you were genuine in becoming a regular shooting member. The big difference is the way the ranges are most often run the SSAA ranges are often more shot shooting gallery style and VRA ranges will shoot a fixed number of rounds at each individual target.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Mattraff » 20 Apr 2020, 10:34 am

Little River is the closest range that has facilities for most disciplines. I have been going there for 23 years to use the general range. I am not a member of any of the sub clubs but am a SSAA member as range fees are cheaper if you are a member. I always have a good day out there as there are lots of people with all kinds of interesting guns to look at. The range officer's are all good people and there is a cafe there for food and drinks if you like. There is also a decent range of ammunition and cleaning equipment for the common callibres if you are caught short but I don't think the prices are all that good.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 20 Apr 2020, 11:31 am

They're open fri-sat yes? Which time/day do you think is the quietest time to attend?
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Apr 2020, 12:23 pm

G'day Aliqua, open Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday. Friday and Monday are easiest, on the weekend if the weather is good, early is best or you may get caught out and have to wait. I only go 3 times a month, so am in a couple of sub-clubs so I can use the club range and avoid the crowd on the main range. In general after 2pm a lot of people have gone home but the range closes at 5pm so you need to consider what you want to do, a quick sight in or have fun shooting. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 20 Apr 2020, 4:55 pm

Thank you :) I'll probably go on the mondays, just picked her up from the dealer today so still need to sight in... oh well - it can just live in the safe until the ranges open again...
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 20 Apr 2020, 10:11 pm

We lost our VRA range back in 2000, due to political BS, and people buying up land in the danger zone area..sadly
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 21 Apr 2020, 7:20 am

The Ballarat East RC is a smallbore effort, which rent a 50m range from the Ballarat Pistol club. You can search them on Farcebook, if 22 subsonic only satisfies you. Last time I was a member, there was about 4 prone shooters, and a heap shooting benchrest rifles with $2k scopes on them. No fun, or challenge in that for me, and a committee not willing to diversify from this, sadly i had to quit the club. I do miss prone tho at times, but the drive to Little River is way worth it, considering the options available to you.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Cassius_53 » 17 Dec 2020, 6:01 am

G’day,

There is a rifle range in Colac West just over an hour southwest of Ballarat. We are an evolving club shooting F Class, Target Rifle, Precision Service Rifle and Hunter Class.

We shoot on electronic targets and have a social culture where members just enjoy the weekend shoots. 12:00pm starts every Saturday all year. Muzzle Brakes and Magazines are allowed and encouraged.

Mitch
Colac Rifle Club
Cassius_53
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles