Dealer discounts at the moment?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Dealer discounts at the moment?

Post by solarpak » 27 Apr 2020, 8:58 pm

Am i seeing lots of dealers advertising rifles and gear at reduced prices?? Seen a few East Coast dealers reducing prices of rifles and accessories -----dont know if its a pre-stocktaking sale or are the importers feeling the pinch of COVID???

Heck i just sold off a few surplus rifles in the months leading up to Feb this year but with quite a few good deals out there its tempting to buy again .....but head has to rule over heart.

I dont know what ammo prices have been doing as i have enough for my immediate needs at the minute .......

Stay safe all.
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Is it just me or .........

Post by Shootermick » 27 Apr 2020, 9:31 pm

There do seem to be some decent discounts about at the moment, but that’s all gonna change. The new rifles I’ve priced lately have gone up anywhere from 15-25% according to the dealers.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Is it just me or .........

Post by Bill » 27 Apr 2020, 9:40 pm

squeeze a dealer has being going since Corona showed up, lotsa deals, bit of a feeding frenzy, no shop wants to miss out ....
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Dealer discounts at the moment?

Post by Harrynsw » 28 Apr 2020, 5:56 am

Firearms shops in Sydney are still operating, and in my last visit I asked how things were going, he assured me they were very busy, but...

Imo this dip has been coming for a while, corona virus or not.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 29 Apr 2020, 9:16 pm

I bought some primers from my local gunshop the other day and he apologized for the increase in price (a few dollars from last time). It didn't phase me one bit.
Costs go up and he has to make a living and I want to reload. End of story.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Apr 2020, 9:24 pm

Not sure this dealer discount is across the board - as the Au dollar fell pretty hard with CV and my local shop showed me the price of a brand new vx3i 6.5-20/50 was listed in NIOA book as $1770 for year 19/20 - but when he called them in front of me to order, cost was now $2100.00!!!!!
Powder and primers are the same - increasing across the board by at least 10-15%...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by solarpak » 29 Apr 2020, 9:37 pm

Tassie,
i agree with the fluctuating $$ being a problem at this point - in the long term it depends on what "profit" margin importers wish to make on their items......if people aren't buying items and they are sitting on the warehouse shelves gathering dust , what happens?
I aint involved in the gun trade as such but you wonder from time to time when dealers have 'clearance sales' at prices too good to be true ........and that leaves me scratching my head??
Real tempted to buy something in the 7mm niche or a half decent 8-twist 223 - but have to wait till this COVID mess pans out

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Medb » 30 Apr 2020, 3:24 am

TassieTiger wrote:Not sure this dealer discount is across the board - as the Au dollar fell pretty hard with CV and my local shop showed me the price of a brand new vx3i 6.5-20/50 was listed in NIOA book as $1770 for year 19/20 - but when he called them in front of me to order, cost was now $2100.00!!!!!
Powder and primers are the same - increasing across the board by at least 10-15%...

Anything U.S made got hit especially hard. I had a similar experience to you, I was looking at getting a Trijicon RMR recently, hoping to beat the price rises. The model I wanted previously went for $1100~ give or take depending where you bought it from. Got quoted $1700 bucks for it from the store that previously had the lowest prices for them. That's more than a 50% increase, and a bit too much for me to swallow for a miniature reflex sight.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bill » 30 Apr 2020, 11:15 am

stuff out of the US is getting silly expensive these days and is paperwork extensive, Im now looking at the UK to import rifles as its heaps cheaper :D :thumbsup:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2020, 11:20 am

Problem with US stuff being so expensive is thAt ppl will start to look at China again...(sigh)....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 12:41 pm

Discounts? Not at all!!!!! I got $1 change from 4 grand for a ruger precision 338Lapua. That was on the 23rd of this month. Last time I looked in February they were $3500ish. So they have gone up nearly $500. I have no money for a bipod and some glass but that will probably be another 4 bloody grand. I might have to wait for next year to be able to afford that.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 30 Apr 2020, 2:16 pm

AussieCapitalist why didnt you buy that near new one in the NT ?? could have saved $1400 that you could have thrown into a S&B

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 3:10 pm

Mate I don't know. With all the shop closures and chaos that's going on it was just an impulse buy. The dealer had only one left in stock, a brand new one so I just pounced before someone else did. I always wanted one because I am not allowed 50cal so that is the next best thing.

I just looked at used guns and yes you are right, $2650 for a Ruger 338Lapua that has only fired 10 rounds. That does not seem right. They sell for around 2k in America brand new. Old mate must be looking for a very quick sale or there is something wrong with that rifle. That is a unbelievably good deal. I don't have the buyers remorse but I admit I did buy in at the high end of the market.

I am going to look like an idiot if I go the range and shoot it from the shoulder before I can afford to add glass and bipod.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Apr 2020, 5:10 pm

What range are you allowed to shoot your free free eight at?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 9:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:What range are you allowed to shoot your free free eight at?

The one near Gympie. I also believe there is another one near Townsville.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 May 2020, 5:57 am

Aussie cap, I don’t care what u do with the 338 but I’m just curious , if target work was your genuine reason for your licence and you want a big centrefire does the law actually tell u u must attend that Gympie range a few times per year to justify letting you have it?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 01 May 2020, 12:46 pm

Blr243 wrote:Aussie cap, I don’t care what u do with the 338 but I’m just curious , if target work was your genuine reason for your licence and you want a big centrefire does the law actually tell u u must attend that Gympie range a few times per year to justify letting you have it?

In short No.
In Long I will explain why.

338 Lapua is a category B rifle in Qld and Qld law only has mandatory shoots for pistols not long arms. Legally speaking a 338 is the same as a 223 or any other manually operated centrefire rifle. The use of the rifle is only limited by the specs of the range.

A few years ago there was hassle with weapons licencing in approving 338 but thanks to a few patriots suing weapons licencing the courts have told weapons licensing that the only illegal calibre in Qld is 50 and if the licence holder has a genuine reason(which is the same as any other category) than you must approve the PTA. So if you have the means put in a PTA and go buy yourself a beautiful 338. You wont regret it. :welcome:
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 01 May 2020, 1:36 pm

Just remember BLR that if you do get one that NSW does not allow folding stocks. So you will have to buy a different brand if you want to use it in both states. The ruger is 40inches when folded and 53 when not folded and nearly 9-10kg with scope and bipod. So a criminal is never going to "conceal" that in their trench coat. But that's a gripe for another day.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 May 2020, 3:54 pm

I paid around 2800-3000 for my rpr 338lap, so 2650 is probably someone not realising that price have gone up.

But all this bull tish anly exchange rates, has anyone looked at the exchange rate, it went from 66 to 60 but now it's 64/65. So there is no reason for any prices rises anymore. Except the importer screwing us over.

I have a deposit down on a cz in 22lr since last year, i am going to see Winchester hold their price... whenever they finally import it. saying that tempted with the cz515
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 01 May 2020, 4:20 pm

When did you buy yours mate? 2018? Some websites for dealers have them for $4200 at the minute!!! They definitely have gone up more than any other firearm that I have seen. I reckon that the wholesaler is raising the price because they can. The ones they are selling are probably old stock that was imported before the lockdowns. Mine was $3999. I don't regret it but that is a hell expensive price to pay.

I hope Aussie brands like Lithgow and Warwick etc start releasing new ranges as I would like to start buying more local.
Last edited by AussieCapitalist on 01 May 2020, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 01 May 2020, 4:22 pm

Seargant Hartmann I wouldnt hold ya breather with Winchester, I d expect they will argue not our fault take it or leave it.

I have a deposit down with a major gunshop and a receipt for the full price, at the time I was negotiating I mentioned that the price was a little high and they mentioned they have to allow a little for the aussie dollar. Ill be holding them to it ;)

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 01 May 2020, 4:32 pm

What's your deposit for bill?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 May 2020, 5:27 pm

Hey AC, sorry mate i had a mental fart... i paid 3200
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 01 May 2020, 6:39 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:What's your deposit for bill?

Volquartsen :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 02 May 2020, 4:24 pm

Prices like $4000 are going to stop sales of them in their tracks I would think. People could either make customs or buy brands like Sako for that sort of money.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 May 2020, 9:12 pm

Mate a 338lap under 6k new you only have 2 options, savage and ruger rpr. The 300wm abs 338 in the rpr are about 1k premium over the standard. In US street prices are lot cheaper than the Australian price... but that would be for everything
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 May 2020, 9:19 pm

Prices don't stop anything mate. People still smoke when a pack is now worth over $50. Some of those Barrets are nearly 15grand. The ruger is great value for money compared to other brands in the magnum calibres.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 May 2020, 9:46 pm

Hey if i had space in my safe idd get a desert tech in a heart beat.... as long as the wife doesn't find out...or she might use me as target practice
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 May 2020, 10:13 pm

Bullpups freak me out mate. I cant get use to them.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles