How much would you pay- How long is a peice of string.!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

How much would you pay- How long is a peice of string.!

Post by CrackThump » 04 May 2020, 5:04 pm

alright all you "ye olde timey" shooters. I want to buy a bit of living history. Im after a Lithgow built 303, but having trawled the interwebs-for-sales, there is a hugeprice range. and I mean HYOOOGE.-!!!

so, opinions please, how much would you reasonably want to pay for a Lithgow SMLE in good serviceable condition (overall condition 7/10 or better) in the age range of 1914-18.

and Brains Trust.... GO.!!!!
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: How much would you pay- How long is a peice of string.!

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 May 2020, 5:29 pm

G'day CrackThump,
Prices for SMLE's have changed a lot in the last couple of years with rifles selling around $350 in 2018 now asking around $650+ A lot of this is driven from internet sales with some muppets paying silly prices then every man and his dog selling a 303 now thinking they're worth heaps. This can change when you start to desire a specific rifle such as WW1 Lithgows. If you know where to look you can still get a good WW1 Lithy for around $600, such as gun shows and auctions but on a website you may see them for $800 +. Be aware that some rifles, mainly inter-war period, due to particular markings or dates may get into the 1000's, but such collectibles are usually well described. A complete, matching number WW1 period rifle in very good condition I would expect to buy for around $1200, mismatched for around $800, 7/10 for around $650. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by snag » 04 May 2020, 6:00 pm

I sold a really nice 1917 (mismatched bolt but otherwise really good) for $600 about 6 months ago. Both I and the buyer thought that was a fair price, I couldn't tell you what score out of 10 the barrel was but it would put five rounds into a combined services target at 300 yards no problem. Definitely shop around, there's plenty of people charging diamonds for dog turds out there.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 04 May 2020, 6:01 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day CrackThump,
Prices for SMLE's have changed a lot in the last couple of years with rifles selling around $350 in 2018 now asking around $650+ A lot of this is driven from internet sales with some muppets paying silly prices then every man and his dog selling a 303 now thinking they're worth heaps. This can change when you start to desire a specific rifle such as WW1 Lithgows. If you know where to look you can still get a good WW1 Lithy for around $600, such as gun shows and auctions but on a website you may see them for $800 +. Be aware that some rifles, mainly inter-war period, due to particular markings or dates may get into the 1000's, but such collectibles are usually well described. A complete, matching number WW1 period rifle in very good condition I would expect to buy for around $1200, mismatched for around $800, 7/10 for around $650. Cheers.

good sir, I was hoping you would show up. :) thats pretty much the sort of insight i was looking for. Thank you.

And it gives me some amount of faith in the classified ads Im seeing at the moment.. prices for whats offered arent too far from what youve described..

except for that one absolute honey... matching numbers sniper rifle with matching scope for like half a million dollars (ok.. so it was more like $10,000 .. but still spoont -worthy)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 04 May 2020, 6:06 pm

snag wrote:I sold a really nice 1917 (mismatched bolt but otherwise really good) for $600 about 6 months ago. Both I and the buyer thought that was a fair price, I couldn't tell you what score out of 10 the barrel was but it would put five rounds into a combined services target at 300 yards no problem. Definitely shop around, there's plenty of people charging diamonds for dog turds out there.

Snag.. that exactly what im looking for. something that will polish up nicely, I can take to service match, drop a deer or a wallaby at 200m (if im lucky) and take up space in my safe. but without being a$$frocked on the price
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by snag » 04 May 2020, 6:24 pm

And speaking of diamonds and dog turds, check out Abused Guns, "what's new", first page. Qld dealer selling a tomato stake for $995. Exactly the sort of thing you need to keep away from.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 04 May 2020, 6:38 pm

holy crap... a thousand dollars for something he admits is in poor condition and missing the front sight.?

maybe its serial # is 000001 ? lol
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 04 May 2020, 8:07 pm

The question is do you want to shoot it or just look at it?

if you just want to look does it have to be pristine or do you not mind character ?

There are plenty of cheap 303s that don't shoot with unmatched numbers they are good for a wall hanging if you want matched numbers and a good shooter well the sky is the limit
I just wouldn't buy online if your paying good money unless you have someone in the area that can look for you
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 04 May 2020, 8:37 pm

I've got a 1919 303 I got it for doing some pest control for a farmer its bolt has been changed probably lost in action and replaced and sent back to service it was his fathers . I haven't decided what i'm going to do with it as yet it's full wood and has some stuff sprayed on it to preserve it ( like grease and wax) the owner was shooting scrubbers with it but his sight went so he gave it to me (for a price but) I already have another 303 but its barrel need replacing and i'll keep it for old time sake
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 May 2020, 9:27 pm

My old man got sucked in by a dealer couple of years ago...

Let go a min $900 lithgow SMLE for $200...on the spot...without telling me...
These are values of 2-3 years ago...

I was looking to buy one similar at the time as he's an ammo collector & had reams of ammo in the s**t box for them....literally...!!...old original boxed military 303's... :(

He gave all the ammo away with the rifle...

Its a sore point...

I cant even read the name "Lithgow" without breaking into severe depression now...

I dont want one now as a result...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 05 May 2020, 4:45 am

I would buy this if i had money to spare. Am curious to see what you all think it’s worth?
Because i think i would pay the asking price for it. Nostalgia can be an individual thing. What price do you put on it.
http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/75479/no5_jungle_carbine.html
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles