New Gun Suggestions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Gun Suggestions

Post by crusher060 » 09 May 2020, 4:29 pm

Hi Guys
I have just sold my Savage Axis 243 today and considering what to replace it with, if at all. I never really took to that rifle for some reason or another. My other rifles are a Marlin XT22LR, a Howa 223 and Howa 308, a Henry 30-30 and a STP Straight Pull Shotgun. I think I've got most bases covered with my remaining rifles as far as hunting medium to larger game so am considering ditching the 22 and replacing it with either a 22 magnum or hornet or getting an under and over 12 gauge shotgun. The other option is buying another 243 as I still have some ammo left. Would welcome your thoughts cheers Mick
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New Gun Suggestions

Post by Farmerpete » 09 May 2020, 4:35 pm

Could get a 17hmr a mate got one of the rugers and loves the fact it removes rabbit heads
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 May 2020, 4:41 pm

243 does fill the gap nicely. Its popular for a reason i rekon.

Or

Instead of filling the gap, do what i did. I went to the dark side and got a muzzle loader. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 May 2020, 4:58 pm

Straight pull or lever action 12g

It’s the one - cheap firearm - that I throw in when doing property maintenance and it’s just so versatile.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 09 May 2020, 6:12 pm

A custom rifle on a Barnard acation or BAT Machine, chambered in 6mm BR Norma.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by womble » 09 May 2020, 6:20 pm

I think the 22mag or hornet will dissapoint when you have a 223.
The 17hmr does make sense.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 09 May 2020, 6:34 pm

I see you’ve already got a 308, but I really like my Remington 7600 pump in 308, it’s just something different. Nice and compact for a vehicle, and it’s very accurate too, plus there’s a few other calibers to choose from. I’m trying to sell my Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel, with my 7600 and a 223 it’s hardly been used. So I’m wondering if I might get something else after it goes too, but I’m not sure what I’d go for either.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 May 2020, 7:00 pm

l would look at either the 17 hornady hornet or a 300 win mag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9AV7zRDFoU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pQJFoUGzI
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 09 May 2020, 7:20 pm

Akkar 3 or ruger precision 338 lapua.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 10 May 2020, 12:30 pm

Lever action
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by womble » 10 May 2020, 2:59 pm

Versace gold plated AK-47
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 10 May 2020, 3:51 pm

yoshie wrote:Lever action

Yep, everyone needs a lever, or two. Get a Henry.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 May 2020, 4:08 pm

Do people not read the posts? Straight pull shottie? He already has one, lever action? What is the Henry 30/30 he says he already has but a lever action? Don't inhibit yourself crusher060, as Oldbloke said, another 243 fills a gap and you say you already have ammo, so maybe a Tikka M55, nice and light for hunting the hills, or a Ruger M77 VT, heavy "hide" rifle and good for a spot of target shooting. then treat yourself to a double barrel shotgun, the O/U is the way to go for clays and hunting but a nice English SxS is just s joy to shoot, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 May 2020, 4:34 pm

Surely he edited that post no1 - surely he did just to rope us in. No? My bad, I read it incorrectly - I actually read it as he was thinking about xxxx, not that he already had xx. My bad.
A light weight sxs is not a freakin joy, ask my cheek bone after a day on the clays lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 10 May 2020, 6:28 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Do people not read the posts? Straight pull shottie? He already has one, lever action? What is the Henry 30/30 he says he already has but a lever action? Don't inhibit yourself crusher060, as Oldbloke said, another 243 fills a gap and you say you already have ammo, so maybe a Tikka M55, nice and light for hunting the hills, or a Ruger M77 VT, heavy "hide" rifle and good for a spot of target shooting. then treat yourself to a double barrel shotgun, the O/U is the way to go for clays and hunting but a nice English SxS is just s joy to shoot, Cheers.

:lol:
:thumbsup:

Although...one has to ask why the 243 didnt get taken out much---but i really couldnt be bothered asking...to read someone has just got rid of one with the reasoning being lack of use, but would consider another seems a little odd to me.
Hence the suggestion of a 22-250...a smack bang ring-dinger perfect mid-level offspring of the 223/243, & perfectly capable of doing everything he wants with factory ammo being reasonably priced....or at least on par with 243.

I like what you said about the old SxS...
i never liked them as a kid, because of the excitement that came with wrapping my arms around the 12G s/auto/self loader...
But now i want an old SxS & would love nothing more than to whack a fox on the run with one on a brisk morning walk... :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 May 2020, 6:57 pm

well crusher, you do have most bases covered, if you don't reload , a 22mag or 17 hmr wouldn't be bad . i had a weihrauch sporter in 22 mag that would shoot under a inch at 100 , i shoulda kept that one :roll: if you do reload a 17 hornet is a very interesting caliber that does have good reach . what use do you see for a 22mag in your line up crusher ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 10 May 2020, 7:19 pm

9.3x62. The finger of GOD :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 10 May 2020, 7:35 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Do people not read the posts? Straight pull shottie? He already has one, lever action? What is the Henry 30/30 he says he already has but a lever action? Don't inhibit yourself crusher060, as Oldbloke said, another 243 fills a gap and you say you already have ammo, so maybe a Tikka M55, nice and light for hunting the hills, or a Ruger M77 VT, heavy "hide" rifle and good for a spot of target shooting. then treat yourself to a double barrel shotgun, the O/U is the way to go for clays and hunting but a nice English SxS is just s joy to shoot, Cheers.

My mistake in suggesting the Henry. But, just get another Henry then.?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 10 May 2020, 10:25 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Do people not read the posts? Straight pull shottie? He already has one, lever action? What is the Henry 30/30 he says he already has but a lever action?

I don't remember the original post reading like this. I think its been edited.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 May 2020, 10:40 pm

You have most bases covered. Keep the .22LR - the most used/useful calibre IMHO. Sell the straight-pull shotgun and get a decent (not a $600 gun) O/U or even better a SxS. Give yourself a price point of, I guess, $1500 and upwards. Don't rule out second-hand. A nice shotgun is a thing of beauty.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MJW380 » 11 May 2020, 11:21 am

Got a mate who had a Savage Axis 22-250,Not even the Axis 2, the first one without the better trigger, it was the worst rifle I’d ever seen, heaviest trigger I’d ever had a go at, rough as guys to work the bolt and for some reason would only chamber about 1/2 the ammo you’d try it with, no matter what the brand was. It ended up going back for a refund.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by crusher060 » 11 May 2020, 9:33 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Straight pull or lever action 12g

It’s the one - cheap firearm - that I throw in when doing property maintenance and it’s just so versatile.

Thanks already have a STP 12 straight pull. Its fun to shoot
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by crusher060 » 11 May 2020, 9:37 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Akkar 3 or ruger precision 338 lapua.

The 338 is a bit too much gun for me with the game I shoot. Plus my shoulder would hate it ;)
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by crusher060 » 11 May 2020, 9:46 pm

bigrich wrote:well crusher, you do have most bases covered, if you don't reload , a 22mag or 17 hmr wouldn't be bad . i had a weihrauch sporter in 22 mag that would shoot under a inch at 100 , i shoulda kept that one :roll: if you do reload a 17 hornet is a very interesting caliber that does have good reach . what use do you see for a 22mag in your line up crusher ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

I used to own a Mossberg 22 magnum back in the eighties and always liked it but sold it when I got transferred back from the bush to the city :( Ive got some stinger ammo for 'my 22LR which packs a punch but I guess it was just nostalgic reasons I was thinking of the magnum. The 17HMR could be an option as I hadn't considered it
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by crusher060 » 11 May 2020, 9:53 pm

Stix wrote:

:lol:
:thumbsup:

Although...one has to ask why the 243 didnt get taken out much---but i really couldnt be bothered asking...to read someone has just got rid of one with the reasoning being lack of use, but would consider another seems a little odd to me.
Hence the suggestion of a 22-250...a smack bang ring-dinger perfect mid-level offspring of the 223/243, & perfectly capable of doing everything he wants with factory ammo being reasonably priced....or at least on par with 243.

I like what you said about the old SxS...
i never liked them as a kid, because of the excitement that came with wrapping my arms around the 12G s/auto/self loader...
But now i want an old SxS & would love nothing more than to whack a fox on the run with one on a brisk morning walk... :)
:drinks:

Thanks for your suggestion of the 22-250. I had issues with the Savage 243 from day one as I bought it secondhand, a mistake I won't make again. The previous owner had lightened the trigger so much that the safety wouldn't engage. I did get this fixed by getting the trigger adjusted then i had an issue with the polymer magazine dropping down so that when I went to cycle to take a shot it wouldn't let me load one in the chamber unless I physically lifted the mag. After buying the 308 and having the 223 I decided to sell it.
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by crusher060 » 11 May 2020, 9:55 pm

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I appreciate your input
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by crusher060 » 11 May 2020, 10:57 pm

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I appreciate your input
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 13 May 2020, 4:38 pm

crusher060 wrote:
AussieCapitalist wrote:Akkar 3 or ruger precision 338 lapua.

The 338 is a bit too much gun for me with the game I shoot. Plus my shoulder would hate it ;)

338 RPR is not a big kicker at all. Less than my BLR 308 and alot less than my 7mm rem mag. It weighs about 10 kegs so may not much of a stalker though.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by crusher060 » 14 May 2020, 3:41 pm

Certainly won't be going any higher than the 308 as I have"Ënough Gun"for my hunting needs. :D

I have decided to go with another centre fire and will probably get either a Tikka 243 or the 22 Hornet as I've always wanted one of those. The over and under shotgun can wait for another day ;)
crusher060
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 14 May 2020, 6:45 pm

I’ve got a Zastava M85 .22 Hornet Crusher, it’s a beautiful little rifle, I love the feel of it and it shoulders nicely. I looked at a few different makes in .22 hornet, but the Zas was by far the best priced option, and I was surprised at the quality.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles