Mossberg Patriot Night Train

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Mossberg Patriot Night Train

Post by Outback_shooter24 » 09 May 2020, 6:02 pm

Hey guys, new to this forum.
I am considering buying a used Mossberg Patriot Night Train in 300 wm, asking $1500. The gun has had less than 150 rounds through it and seems to be in good condition.
Have had a look online to see what a new one would be worth and have had no luck.
Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea on how much a rifle like that would be worth.

Thanks in advance
Outback_shooter24
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Mossberg Patriot Night Train

Post by Ziege » 10 May 2020, 12:57 am

Personally haven't been very impressed at all with anything Mossberg ever. Don't see a lot on shelves anywhere either and I would think that's a telling sign.

A bit of a look found a .com.au selling one for $995 new....

Personally I'd go howa, Weatherby vanguard, tikka, Ruger m77, sabbati, Bergara, etc for $1500 and down.

Seems like a bad deal to me
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 10 May 2020, 1:40 am

Tell him he’s dreaming.
I mean if you really want a mossberg, maybe ask if he”ll take 50 bucks for it, throw in some ammo
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 May 2020, 2:23 am

Value for money, consider Howa.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 May 2020, 8:55 am

Mate search only bring up. on reference on shooters delight website... but its old so the link don't work.

It's a Mossberg with bipod, 6x24 scope for $995. I would tend to agree with others and get something else
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 10 May 2020, 9:31 am

There is nothing in my safe with Mossberg on it either. Could you save up a little more?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 May 2020, 10:17 am

Mossberg
FWIW, mine is a lever 464 and here is what I think of it:-
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 10 May 2020, 10:25 am

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Outback_shooter24 » 10 May 2020, 11:32 am

Cheers for the reply’s fellas, will see if the seller will drop to $800-900, if not will give it a miss
Outback_shooter24
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 10 May 2020, 11:40 am

Save yourself the heart ache and steer clear. Even if it was free, it will waste your time and energy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 10 May 2020, 12:54 pm

Yeah unfortunately the only thing made by Mossberg even remotely worth anyone's time is their pump action 12G. Don't buy it at all.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by snag » 11 May 2020, 6:58 pm

I only know 2 people who have bought Mossberg Patriots, both bought brand new and both back to the dealer for warranty work soon after purchase (in one case, a jammed bolt on the third round fired). $1500 for a second hand one is just ridiculous as they cost nowhere near that new. Even if you get him down to $800, there's a lot of higher quality second hand rifles around in that calibre for similar dollars, or go the "brand new Howa" route. You'll find there's no shortage of low-use 300wm rifles out there - lots of people bought them because they were the "must have " calibre and then found that the recoil was more than what they were expecting.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Outback_shooter24 » 11 May 2020, 7:38 pm

Thanks fellas, decided not to buy it, and go with something with a bit of quality
Outback_shooter24
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Mark » 11 May 2020, 7:43 pm

Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bridgy » 11 May 2020, 8:25 pm

Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by MJW380 » 12 May 2020, 8:06 am

I’ve looked at that one myself Mark, seems a good deal
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Mossberg Patriot

Post by Lsfan » 04 Feb 2021, 7:14 pm

Hi All. Found this thread and thought I’d also ask a similar question but I think it’s answered above. I’ve recently started out with a 22 and air rifle and already dreaming of something bigger. Being on a budget and with limited experience, a 223 seems like a good choice however I have seen brand new Mossberg patriots for sale in 308 for under $600 brand new. Seems unbeatable BUT I can’t find a review which shows them to be accurate. Am I better off spending $150 more and getting a howa? All I’m doing is target shooting at the moment. Appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 07 Feb 2021, 2:58 am

mossberg makes a shot gun for the working man and it is hard to beat i have not seen anything i like about there rifles i no of the ones that were bought here were not well receaved and sold off they had feeding issues they were taken care of but when a man feels he cant trust his gun he looses faith in it.
i think you can find lots in the same price range with better reputation for q.c
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lsfan » 07 Feb 2021, 6:45 am

The thing is, I’d like to see anyone find a new 308 for $550, which is what I can get a patriot for. I do realise though, I could pay $200 more and get a howa or save $200 and get $550 worth of useless sh..! Just wanting to see if anyone has any positive experience with the patriots, otherwise I’ll give it a miss.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles