Barrel upgrade for Howa

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Barrel upgrade for Howa

Post by Goshawk » 09 May 2020, 11:21 pm

Hi all,
Question, is it worth upgrading the barrel on a short action Howa.
It current sits in a MDT ESS chassis with a meopta 6-18x50 scope, MDT 20 moa rail, bag rider, vert-grip, trigger lighten down to 1.5lbs.
It started as a heavy barrel 26" 6.5 creedmoor and has since been chopped to 20" with a brake installed.
It shoot sub-moa with 140gr HPBT match hornady and 90gr Speer tnt with Lapua brass and small match primers.
Unfortunately, i have gone down the rabbit hole and want even more accuracy. Planning on Sightron S-III 10-50x60 scope at the minimum.

So, is a Bartlein or Krieger barrel a worthy addition for accuracy?
Are IBI Accuracy barrels worth a look?

Any info would be appreciated.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Barrel upgrade for Howa

Post by in2anity » 09 May 2020, 11:46 pm

How does it currently shoot?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Goshawk » 09 May 2020, 11:50 pm

Sub moa. Usually around 0.7-0.6" for x5 at 100m.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by in2anity » 10 May 2020, 12:07 am

Jeez mate that’s hard to guess. A match barrel might get you down to 1/2moa or perhaps a tad better - then again, you’re entering into “benchrest-seriousness” reloading. A precision gun like that demands precision ammunition. You’ll prob need to neck turn, plus have very good dies + quality, sorted pills. Is it destined for F-open?

Another question, what number reload are you up to? Does it shoot just as well on the second and third reload?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 10 May 2020, 12:13 am

Dunno how much load development you've done but perhaps that and some more time at the range before making the change.... Depends really how much shooting you're gonna do, if you're going to give it a flogging and want to retain sub moa groups you're likely gonna need a new barrel soon enough anyway, the actions are solid units so as long as a good Smith does the swap and it's done right you would have only smiles.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 May 2020, 7:35 am

What is your aim... you shooting comps at 500m, or just still for fun but want better? Or you hunting?

Tbh that's pretty good, as it is. You can talk to allan swan in ipswitch. They are a gunsmith and make barrels. Otherwise madco or kreiger barrels and get KHGS to do it up. He's also a very good gunsmith around your area (cowra, nsw)

Unless we know what you wanting to do, its hard to advise you. Talk to a gunsmith. Tbh if you are getting 0.7moa that's pretty awesome... shoot it till the accuracy drops a bit then sell the gun and go a custom rifle, maybe even a change in calibre
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 May 2020, 9:04 am

More experienced ppl than me might chime in soon but...
There are a Couple good YouTube videos showing that once you are sub moa - then it’s not necessarily the rifle that needs work to get better accuracy.

Ammo as others have said - needs to be precisely made...same weight everything, same neck tension, BC’s confirmed per projectile, flash holes the same, run out checked - NECK tension a big one, etc etc.
then shooter skill is another factor - are you on the exact same line of sight 100%of the time, controlled breathing, trigger ? Match trigger would further help, etc etc etc - again, look to the pros.
Scope - are you 100’s confident in your use of parallax, can you shoot cleanly without distortion on max power, what rests you use can make a huge difference, are mounts confirmed straight / lapped, etc etc
How’s the cleaning regime of the existing barrel - copper fouling makes a difference, have you checked with bore scope, are action screws checked after each shoot and at same tension, etc

These are small things - but All make a difference.

I’ve read so many stories of ppl buying custom jobs and then having to fine tune everything above and more to get 1/2 moa...and some never get the recipe correct and tales of many lost souls and bewildered shooters, who used to shoot very well, but jumped the fence...they are out there...wandering the land...somewhere...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 10 May 2020, 9:17 am

You have one of the best gunsmiths living in your backyard, you can take it to Russell and get his opinion. That is worth a heap more than some nameless shooter on the net. A new barrel is going to cost you $1,000 chambered and fitted.

The IBI barrels appear to shoot well but take a while to run in. For this reason I would pay the extra for a Maddco or Benchmark or whatever your preference is.

Using these barrels and with quality reloads shot with some finesse I would expect you could shoot groups in the 0.200 consistently.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 10 May 2020, 10:43 am

what l have found is that some barrels are absolute hummers shooting one ragged hole with everything you put near it
not very often are they factory mostly match grade SS barrels and barrel quality has everything to do with it
but it is not the only thing, bullets, match reamers, concentric ammo, bedding, trigger ect...
and a really good gunsmith who is interested in what you are doing is very important
then you have to work on you. l do think your rifle is worth rebarreling if you are going to keep it
bartlein and krieger barrels are some of the best barrels that you can get but what ever barrel make sure it is match grade and hand lapped
good luck with it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Goshawk » 14 May 2020, 10:02 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the great responses.

I generally shoot for a couple hours every Friday (beforee bloody CVD19) at Majura range. But I am still a bit of a hack. Thinking of seeking professional training of some description.

Had a friend who is a better marksman use the rifle and he made a single ragged hole with it.

So after all the great responses i think i will:
1. Review my reloading processes. See qhat i can do to tighten the tolerances of my rounds.
2. Replace my scope with a more powerful version. At x18 with current scope, the rifle is producing groups at the width of the reticle cross hairs. I believe more magnification and a more stable rest will tighten groups.
3. Professional Training.
4. Practice
5. Practice
6. Join a competition/competitive shooting group.
7. This will likely happen due to tax time coming up. Pimp rifle with Kreiger or Bartlein barrel... as i like new toys (and keep the old barrel!)

I mainly hunt deer however, my OCD for accuracy is really embracing bench work.

Thanks again for all the advise.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Ziege » 14 May 2020, 11:17 pm

Just remember the more you shoot the sooner you lose that accuracy

Barrels are a consumable after all, throat and crown will go before the rest of the barrel, but sadly that means a new one, but you like new toys so its ok, just be aware every time you change the variables you need to load to those specific variables
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 15 May 2020, 7:26 am

Just join a club. Let the "losing" begin (which will strongly motivate you to well, NOT lose so much). That will give you some real perspective.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Goshawk » 15 May 2020, 7:45 am

Any suggestions on who to access a good quality match barrel through?
Was looks for a Krieger or Bartlein. Any other suggestions?
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by in2anity » 15 May 2020, 8:40 am

Goshawk wrote:Any suggestions on who to access a good quality match barrel through?
Was looks for a Krieger or Bartlein. Any other suggestions?

Considering you are in ACT, firstly reach out to Russel Le Maitre and see what he has to offer. https://www.canberrarifleclub.org.au/?page_id=2600

Put it this way, my smith lives close to me, he shoots in my club, therefore I use his product (which happen to be Walther-Lothar).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 15 May 2020, 10:08 am

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 May 2020, 4:17 pm

Do yourself a favor, getting a good gunsmith, have a chat with him explain what you want and let him do his work including sourcing the barrels (unless you get a really good deal)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles