some 6.5 creedmoor questions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

some 6.5 creedmoor questions

Post by bignose88 » 23 May 2020, 9:00 pm

G'day there,

I am wanting to know more about the 6.5 creedmoor

1. What variety of game does the 6.5 cover?
2.Can it be used on bigger deer (sambar) in Victoria?
3. Is this cartridge likely to be around well into the future (in Australia)?
4. What are the pros and cons?
5. is the 6.5 more similar to a 243 or 308?

I appreciate your help especially if you use 6.5 creedmoor
Last edited by bignose88 on 23 May 2020, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bignose88
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: some 6.5 creedmoor questions

Post by No1_49er » 23 May 2020, 10:34 pm

Q2, I don't think it's considered to be sufficiently "powerful" in Victoria, where I believe that a 270 is minimum. Bureaucratic BS, but them's the rules.
Q3, it seems to me that the Creedmoor is not much more than a modern iteration of the 6.5 Swede which has been around for something like 130 years, and the Scandinavians still shoot Moose with it.
Will the Creedmoor be around for the same length of time?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 May 2020, 12:27 am

I don't have the Creedmoor but I am a fan of the 6.5mm bullet, I have five other 6.5mm chamberings from 6.5x50mm to 6.5x58mm. I think the 6.5x55mm is the optimal cartridge for the bullet, and the 6.5mm is almost as versatile as the 7mm-08, shooting bullets from 90gn to 170gn.

No, you can't legally take the three larger deer species with it in Vic. 7mm-08 is a better choice for that.

It doesn't matter to me at all if a cartridge will be avaible in the future, or now, I load my own ammo. You could just buy a few thousand rounds now if you're concerned about future availability of factory ammo, or just learn to load your own. Some of the factory offerings seem very expensive to me.

Unless you are using an AR platform I don't see any benefit to the Creedmoor, other than it fits into a short action, the Swede is 8mm longer. But you are far more likely to find more choice in new rifles chambered for the Creedmoor than the Swede.

The 6.5's are closer to .243 than .308 in my opinion, but it depends on bullet choice. The .243 let's you shoot bullets from 50gn (4000fps+) to 117gn, the .308 gives you about 100gn to 240gn bullets, but at lower velocities, closer to 6.5mm velocities.

The Creedmoor, Swede, .243, 7mm-08 and .308 will all push a 110gn bullet into the 2900fps to 3200fps realm. The smaller bores will give you higher velocities with lighter bullets, the larger bores will let you use heavier bullets. If big deer are on the table though, with one rifle, you are limited in choice.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 May 2020, 12:35 am

G'day bignose88;
1/ In Vic this will be suitable for all game species except large deer, it is best suited to relatively thin skinned game same as any other 6.5.
2/ No, 270 minimum for Sambar.
3/ As far as any cartridge can be predicted, yes. It has been trialed and used by the US Military and that usually means sports shooters will use it.
4/ High velocity, low recoil, short actions, great 1000m capability, can be used in AR10's (US, of course).
5/ Fits virtually half way between 243 and 308. More accurate in US testing over 1000yds than either.
I have been using this cartridge with a friends Lithgow until I had to give it back and would consider buying one myself but already have rifles in similar calibres that give similar performance. A modern rifle with the Swede will equal it, as will the 260 or the 6.5-284 Norma but the shorter case of the Creedmoor makes it suitable to load in the 308 magazine so semi-auto rifles can be converted by just changing barrels, therefore it's grat popularity with Americans, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 May 2020, 9:14 pm

The 6.5mm is pretty popular at the moment and the Credmoor is here to stay. It has no advantage over any other similarly sized case except that target shooter will appreciate the small primer Lapua brass. Unfortunately they are more likely to select Lapua's own case design.

I don't own a CM, but do have a 260 and a Swede. There is nothing that would make me switch to the CM over what I already have. That is not to say that they are better in any way, although the Swede is faster.

The 6.5mm is slightly closer to the 243 that the 308. Both are more pleasant to shoot at the bench than the 308. I don't find the 308 unpleasant to shoot in a hunting situation but at the bench is is more demanding to use. In every competition that I can think of the 6mm perform better than the 6.5, from 100 meters to 1000. Not that many people are using a 243 Win or a 6.5 CM. if you wanted to use a Credmoor case in competition you would be better off necking it down to 6mm.

The 6.5mm is no giant killer and would limit myself to animals under 80 kilos unless I had a close easy shot. Better to use too much gun on Sambar like a 45/70 or whatever big bore you have lying around.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 25 May 2020, 7:10 am

With respect to the comparison between 6.5CM and 243W, this article may be of interest to you https://www.snipercountry.com/6-5-creedmoor-vs-243/
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 May 2020, 8:00 am

Thanks for the link, this article is why the CM has a reputation of attracting fanboys who skew figures to flatter the case. All the bullets selected for that case are heavy for caliber VLDs some of them match bullets. The 243 gets 100 grain down to 55 grain hunting bullets. Of course the CM is going to look like the superior long range outfit. This could be justified because factory barrels for the 243 are 1:10 or 12 twist.

In the real world shooting competition, the longer range shooters using 6mm will win in calmer conditions and in tricky conditions some bigger calibers like the 7mm SAUM or 300 WSM can do better. Even in PRS competition the 6mm cases usually come out on top. Shooting heavy VLD the 6mm has a ballistic advantage over the 6.5mm bullets. I don't know of any world records that have been held by a 6.5.

All things being equal, the 6mm Creedmoor will outshoot the 6.5mm Creedmoor.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 May 2020, 5:57 pm

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor mate and it’s a great bit of kit. I use it for a bit of casual shooting at the range, and for a longer range platform for hunting pigs.
As much as the haters will hate to hear it, I believe the Creedmoor has a long future mate. It’s quite popular and for good reason.
Future posters, let us please not enter another debate on how the Swede is better than the Creed.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 25 May 2020, 9:29 pm

I run the Hornady 143 ELD X as my hunting load load in the 6.5 Creedmoor. But I also tried the 95 gr V max and the Speer 90gr TNT.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is not Samber legal (270 minimum).

I think the 6.5 Creedmoor gets a reputation as a target round. When it is a quite capable hunting round with the right projectile. There is a fair selection of 6.5mm Projectiles.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is definitely main stream now. Even the 6mm Creedmoor is getting more popular.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 May 2020, 6:09 pm

JimTom wrote:I have a 6.5 Creedmoor mate and it’s a great bit of kit. I use it for a bit of casual shooting at the range, and for a longer range platform for hunting pigs.
As much as the haters will hate to hear it, I believe the Creedmoor has a long future mate. It’s quite popular and for good reason.
Future posters, let us please not enter another debate on how the Swede is better than the Creed.

I don't think there are any haters on this thread JT, I like the case myself. It would be a different story if Lapua didn't make brass for it and you were stuck with the Hornady rubbish.

If I said the 6.5x47 Lapua was slower than the Creedmoor I don't think I would upset anyone. You have to be realistic that there are cases that are faster than the Creedmoor like a 6.5- 284 and the Swede.

Will the Creedmoor do a great job shooting in competition at 500 to 1000 metres? Of course it will, but don't get upset if someone shooting a 6mm BR Norma or even a 243 beats you. :drinks:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 26 May 2020, 7:07 pm

Plenty of haters on here mate. I don’t shoot comp, doubt I’d be good enough, plus I’d prefer to hunt, although I do enjoy a day at the range just shooting targets. No doubt there are several cartridges that will be better than the Creedmoor for different reasons. I use the Lapua SRP brass and it has been great mate. I think every cartridge has a use, just maybe not for every person.I just get tired of people constantly ragging on Creedmoor.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 26 May 2020, 7:45 pm

Manbun

That is all
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2020, 7:50 pm

JimTom wrote:Plenty of haters on here mate. I don’t shoot comp, doubt I’d be good enough, plus I’d prefer to hunt, although I do enjoy a day at the range just shooting targets. No doubt there are several cartridges that will be better than the Creedmoor for different reasons. I use the Lapua SRP brass and it has been great mate. I think every cartridge has a use, just maybe not for every person.I just get tired of people constantly ragging on Creedmoor.

Really? Does it effect you that much ? It’s just a case...like hundreds of others - has its benefits and downfalls like hundreds of others...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 26 May 2020, 8:55 pm

a man pushes down on the clutch and knocks the vehicle out of gear ...a few seconds later he turns off the ignition and a few seconds more the old Ute rolls to a stop on the rough bush track ..the drivers side door opens with a slight creak and he steps out grabbing his hat as he does so ...with a cigarette lighter he checks the wind is as he had predicted earlier and slings his creedmore over his shoulder.... then spying a cattlepad he slowly starts working his way along it knowing it’s most likely quite an easy direct route to the paperbark swamp about half a mile to the north......after a while he pulls up short with mouth ajar straining to confirm what he thought he had heard ....the sound of a couple of pigs squabbling added slightly to his sense of anticipation, perhaps there may be a decent boar in the mob? having to be back at work Monday morning is the furthest thing from his mind ....right now he is feeling more alive than usual and reveling in this primitive natural environment....Many miles away somebody else with a beer gut is sitting on a barstool raving about how he would never buy a creedmore and he is fully entitled to think so, but it doesn’t really matter .....and yes sitting in my hospital bed I do have too much time on my hands!
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 May 2020, 10:16 pm

funny Blr :lol:

but what are you doing in hossie :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2020, 10:28 pm

I'm not a Creedmoor hater, it would be my choice over the Swede purely because it fits into a modern short action. But, performance wise it doesn't offer me anything the Swede doesn't already, so I haven't felt any interest in getting one. I tend to see the 6mm Creedmoor as a little more interesting though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 6:09 am

I hossie because desiel dog was choking on a ball His canines punctured my hand and his molars ccrushed my fingers as I tried to get the ball out. Any other times I have been attacked my dogs I yell jump and kick so it’s tricky for a dog to be able to get a grip with all this movement .. but when I’m jamming fingers down his throat it’s impossible not to get bitten. I was also useing a short pocket knife to try dig it out. There was blood everywhere and his eyes were rolling back into his head. I was terrified that my best mate was going to die in front of me despite my efforts to save him ....been here since mon night. Hopefully this morning I get minor operation to clean out wounds to avoid infection and repair nerve damage ... then I can go home. I miss my dog. Despite monitoring, and dental work he’s going to be ok ...... I would hate to be in hospital knowing that when I get home I have to bury my dog ....not sure when I will be able to work or hunt again.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2020, 6:32 am

Bloody hell BLR - that’s terrible...hope you get well soon mate. It’s a hard one with dogs...
A good mate of mine stepped in to seperate his 2 Akita’s once - he ended up in hospital for a week. After he was attacked - he drove 5 klms to my place and when I answered the door, he collapsed in front of me and I had to call ambulance - when he came too I said wtf were you thinking driving to my house in that condition - he swore he didn’t....

Dogs generally can vomit up fur balls - must have been a bastard one to go through what you’ve gone through. All the best mate. Hope you can get out there soon.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 7:55 am

Ta bro. Be nice to your Akita’s With all this time on my hands I googled different breed bite powers in psi ...am staffies were relatively low , Kangal were the strongest and Akita’s and Doberman’s were right up there .... regarding having to go thru horrible stuff. The blood and the bites and the pain and the expense is nothing compared to seeing your best mate struggling to breath as you are fighting to save his life ........and despite your efforts you are thinking the worst that he is going to be still and lifeless very soon. ....and on the subject of driving , I once heard about a priest in the old days he was on the grog big time and decided to leave his friends place and drive home. They were very concerned that he would drive home in that drunken state ... 30 mins later when they heard a knock on the door they were expecting the worst ( possible authorities dealing with an accident.) But it was the priest ... he had returned to say “ I just wanted to let you know that I made it home ok”
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 May 2020, 1:49 pm

you have shown great courage, endurance, initiative, discipline, and mateship Blr :thumbsup:

hope you and your mate heal quickly :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by MJW380 » 27 May 2020, 7:18 pm

Hope it doesn’t end up infected blr, this time last year the kids got a new cat, it tried to do a runner the night we got it and took off out the back door. It couldn’t figure out how to jump over our fence and ended up under the house. I cornered it under there and Croat up to it and grabbed it, bad call, it bit and scratched the beJesus out of both my hands, but I didn’t let go, then had to crawl out thru dirt holding car with blood coming out of both hands. To hospital job, tetanus shot, wrap up hands and very sore and sorry. Then 2 days later back to the hospital cause one hand got cellulitis, which is an infection, and spent 5 nights in hossy in a drip. Everyone I know found it rather amusing.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 8:31 pm

Thank u men for the support .....one of the nurses here said that for some reason cat bites are likely to go bad on you more so than a dog. No idea why. I have had cellulitis before. They are pumping me full of antiboytics and I will take home a strong batch of them to assist with keeping the wounds from turning bad ......I’m post op now and have been told it went well. My brain state coming off the anesthesia was mad crazy .. I’ve never felt so out of it freaky on another planet ......my favourite nurse that dishes out the endone readily has just started her shift I’m so glad to see her. I know now she will give me the goods. So I can at least have some pain free sleep
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2020, 8:33 pm

If all goes well here tonight and tomorrow morning I think they will allow me to leave. The pa hospital has been amazing , they have a good reputation
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by MJW380 » 27 May 2020, 8:37 pm

That’s good news Blr, hopefully you aren’t roomed with snorers or anything...
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 28 May 2020, 12:07 am

What the f*** did I miss?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 May 2020, 6:51 am

Zeitge. The only thing u have missed is having your hand well chewed by my dog so that’s a good thing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 28 May 2020, 11:02 am

Yeouch
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 May 2020, 12:03 pm

In hospital there was social distancing going on so we were not crammed in. I only heard one bloke snoreing for les than a minute. Sleeping with endone it’s easier not to hear others snoring ...There was a patient in there who was load and a big talker. He just would not shut up It was noticeably quiet when he left
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by webdogs » 30 May 2020, 9:25 pm

Thought I read somewhere the US military snipers have gone to 6.5cm. Might have something to do with less drop, less effected by wind, better ballistics, able to do the job. If the swedes are knocking down elk with it it'll do the job on any deer or pig here.
webdogs
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 31 May 2020, 3:58 pm

webdogs wrote:Thought I read somewhere the US military snipers have gone to 6.5cm. Might have something to do with less drop, less effected by wind, better ballistics, able to do the job. If the swedes are knocking down elk with it it'll do the job on any deer or pig here.

I read the same thing, supposedly it will be replacing their .308 platform.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles