Removing stock when cleaning

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Removing stock when cleaning

Post by Oldbloke » 29 May 2020, 11:02 am

As the subject suggests. Should you remove the stock everytime you clean? I used to inorder to wipe down the underside of the barrel. But less so of late. (Less wet weather hunting)

Would the removal potentually effect the zero?

Note, none of my rifles are bedded.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Removing stock when cleaning

Post by linkoln » 29 May 2020, 11:55 am

For my Warwick I take out all the working parts but for my shotgun I just pull through the barrel. I don't think cleaning of manual action guns is extremely important but you don't want them to rust and you spent a lot on them so look after them.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 May 2020, 12:02 pm

Oldbloke
I would be fearful of the zero being affected. Regarding bedded rifles, one of mine has a bedding block and pillars but you could count on its zero changing by a half moa, if it was dismantled. Rain between its bedding and action would spoil zero but just a dry disassembly followed by reassembly would result in that slight change.
If your barrels floated it would be easy, depending on the amount of clearance around them, to slide a rag under the hidden side. If rain came between the stock and the underside of the action, then that would affect zero. Ditto, if rain wets your ammo.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 29 May 2020, 12:31 pm

Especially for the factory (bedded) rifle, I think you have to presume the tensions will be slightly different after reassembly. I would never presume the POI wouldn’t have changed. Then again, maybe you’re gun might be different.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 May 2020, 2:28 pm

So, I think I'm convinced if removing the stock the POI is likely to change.

In future I will only remove it about once a year. Of for a real need.

But that raises the question how best to protect the underside of the barrel etc.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 29 May 2020, 2:58 pm

FWIW i always clean, then oil the hidden bits before reasembly. And I try not to touch those parts when I put it back together. I also sometimes run a oiled cloth under the barrel along forend (for a free-floated gun).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 29 May 2020, 6:08 pm

Old handkerchief is a perfect size to slide under the barrel.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 May 2020, 6:22 pm

"Should you remove the stock everytime you clean?"

no
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 May 2020, 7:03 pm

FWIW I would never put lube/oil/grease/rust preventive, between the steel parts and the stock in case the stuff acted like a drop of water and affected zero.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 29 May 2020, 8:32 pm

As above mate, it will effect your zero most likely. I have only ever given things a wipe with gun oil before assembly, and have not had any issues over a few decades.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2020, 2:22 am

FFs,,,,,, some of you guys are pedantic.
Unless your talking about pure target shooting at a range or trying to head shoot a field mouse at 180 meters.
Maybe then worry about if and by how much the poi changes.

Apart from that,,,,, what happened to the old and true practice of,,, "never presume that on each outing and after cleaning,, that your rifle is still zeroed."

A single test shot before hunting/shooting in earnest on each and every subsequent outing will tell you if its changed or not.

It is part and parcel of ethical shooting written/unwritten law is it not ????????????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 5:25 am

Die J. Generally, I am unable to fire a test shot prior to every hunt. Due mainly to locations. Probably fire one every 3 or 4 outings.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 30 May 2020, 10:51 am

Die Judicii wrote:FFs,,,,,, some of you guys are pedantic.
Unless your talking about pure target shooting at a range or trying to head shoot a field mouse at 180 meters.

Apart from that,,,,, what happened to the old and true practice of,,, "never presume that on each outing and after cleaning,, that your rifle is still zeroed."

A single test shot before hunting/shooting in earnest on each and every subsequent outing will tell you if its changed or not.

It is part and parcel of ethical shooting written/unwritten law is it not ????????????

Because for some of us this is an imposibility. You can't just rock up to a state forest and start shooting at targets; that'd be a quick way to get your permit revoked. Even if it were legal, I wouldn't be loosing a round just before a hunt (for obvious reasons).

I do always verify my zero at the range shortly before a trip however; that goes without saying.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 12:27 pm

Die Judicii wrote:FFs,,,,,, some of you guys are pedantic.

I understand this isn’t possible for all - but not only does it confirm poi, it establishes confidence. Cleaning rifles, bagging, travelling - who knows if a bump hasn’t moved zero. Maybe...maybe not.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 12:47 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
I understand this isn’t possible for all - but not only does it confirm poi, it establishes confidence. Cleaning rifles, bagging, travelling - who knows if a bump hasn’t moved zero. Maybe...maybe not.

Absolutely agree
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 30 May 2020, 12:59 pm

I remove the action from the stock when the rifle has been in rain or very damp conditions. Otherwise I will do it to clean and oil once or twice a year.

I always settle the stock back in and torque the screws the same every time.

When next sighting in the rifle, take the stock off and put back a couple of times. That will tell you if you need to resight in if you take the stock off for cleaning.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2020, 2:03 pm

Ha Ha Ha,,,,,,,, :lol:

I have been known to take the odd shot or two through the open back door. :shock:

I understand that people who live in cities cannot readily just walk out into the back yard and sight in a rifle,,,, but isn't that the very reason why
there are indoor/outdoor ranges ?

Having never been to or used one, I don't know how they operate, but surely if you are a member of one it would be a simple job to do of a Sat morn
before heading off into the wilds ??? :unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 May 2020, 2:06 pm

To Whom It May Concern
I freely admit that I am pedantic.
And I Like It That Way :D :D :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 30 May 2020, 2:18 pm

Nothing wrong with sending a few rounds down in the forest to check your zero. We usually pack a few targets and clays.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2020, 2:46 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:To Whom It May Concern
I freely admit that I am pedantic.
And I Like It That Way :D :D :D

On the other hand,,,,,,, I used to be indecisive,, but now I'm not so sure.
:D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 30 May 2020, 2:54 pm

in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 5:22 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Nothing wrong with sending a few rounds down in the forest to check your zero. We usually pack a few targets and clays.

Yeh, ok. But not at 6 am and not when hunting fringe areas. Well, I dont.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2020, 5:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
MontyShooter wrote:Nothing wrong with sending a few rounds down in the forest to check your zero. We usually pack a few targets and clays.

Yeh, ok. But not at 6 am and not when hunting fringe areas. Well, I dont.

I cannot get my head around this State Forest thing
I gather that you have a permit to go hunting in there,,,,,,, but,,,,, you aren't supposed to fire a shot to verify your zero.
How can you say your hunting,,,,,, if it's frowned upon, or not allowed, to actually fire a shot ?
:crazy:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 30 May 2020, 5:59 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I cannot get my head around this State Forest thing
I gather that you have a permit to go hunting in there,,,,,,, but,,,,, you aren't supposed to fire a shot to verify your zero.
How can you say your hunting,,,,,, if it's frowned upon, or not allowed, to actually fire a shot ?

Them the rules, I don't make em. Break em at your own risk. There are certainly SF workers crusing around - personally I don't take the risk.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2020, 6:08 pm

in2anity wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:I cannot get my head around this State Forest thing

Them the rules, I don't make em. Break em at your own risk. There are certainly SF workers crusing around - personally I don't take the risk.

And you get get enjoyment/fulfillment out of this sort of arrangement ?????????
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 30 May 2020, 6:57 pm

Die Judicii wrote:And you get get enjoyment/fulfillment out of this sort of arrangement ?????????

Well it's sure convinient. Just book it in online, and off you go. No-one but yourself to deal with. But TBH mate, I don't do it that much anymore; my regular saturday club events are more than enough to me satisfied these days.

Still, sometimes my city mates feel the hankering for some blood. I'm a bit meh about killing fur as I get older (especially now I have my own kids). I did a lot of it as a young fella growing up on the land - part of life.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 7:08 pm

To perhaps explain. In Vic we can hunt pests and game in season in State Forrest, and some NPs at times.

We can check sights, e.g limited number of shots, not a shooting gallery in SF.

I generally choose not to shoot (check sights) as it scares game. If i go for the day cant check early near where I am hunting. That would be silly.

Also Vic is a compact state. Some areas hunted are not far from towns/farms, (fringe country) so again choose not to fire shots unless I need to. Legal but prefer not to.

A lot more space in QLD & NSW
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 May 2020, 7:54 pm

DJ what you say here
"what happened to the old and true practice of,,, "never presume that on each outing and after cleaning,, that your rifle is still zeroed."

It is part and parcel of ethical shooting written/unwritten law is it not ????????????"

conflicts with what you say here
"I understand that people who live in cities cannot readily just walk out into the back yard and sight in a rifle,,,, but isn't that the very reason why
there are indoor/outdoor ranges ?

Having never been to or used one, I don't know how they operate, but surely if you are a member of one it would be a simple job to do of a Sat morn
before heading off into the wilds ??? :unknown:2"

l think its caused some confusion about checking your zero before actually hunting on that day instead of checking your zero after removing and replacing your stock :unknown: it would be really nice to be able to check before a hunt but its not practical for everyone all the time

and "how dare you" say "head shoot a field mouse at 180 meters"
poor little field mouse :wtf: now c'mon DJ fairs fair leave the poor little field mouse out of it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2020, 10:56 pm

marksman wrote:
l think its caused some confusion about checking your zero before actually hunting on that day instead of checking your zero after removing and replacing your stock :unknown: it would be really nice to be able to check before a hunt but its not practical for everyone all the time

and "how dare you" say "head shoot a field mouse at 180 meters"
poor little field mouse :wtf: now c'mon DJ fairs fair leave the poor little field mouse out of it :drinks:

:lol: :lol:
Each to his own I guess,,,,,,,,,,,
Ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, leave the field mouse out of it.
I think this whole discussion has made me realize just how lucky I am.
Cheers Mate,,,,,,,, :friends: :drinks:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2020, 11:12 pm

I see field mice in my thermal binos on every hunt , but only for about 40 metres. After that their heat signature is to small to detect or maybe they are just not there , maybe a fox ate them all and is too scared to come close to me to get the rest of them . Maybe all the field mice have gone into town for the b and s ball or maybe the Mt Isa rodeo ......next time I test fire my rifle on a hunt I should warn the field mice first so they have time to put on their ear muffs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles