Most Popular .308 in Australia?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Most Popular .308 in Australia?

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Jun 2020, 12:31 am

Hi Fellas,

I'm new to the community, so thanks for having me. I'm just chasing any knowledge people may have when it comes down to what the most popular hunting .308 rifle in Australia is.

I'd be looking to use it for hunting and at the range to train. Just in case the inquisitive individuals out there are wondering why I'd like to know such a thing.. Well, it's simple, I'd like to know there are plenty of spare parts around should things get tough.

My bets (no money); Remington 700, Tikka T3, Howa 1500. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Re: Most Popular .308 in Australia?

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Jun 2020, 10:32 pm

G'day BangWhizzCrack,
Welcome aboard, the 3 you name are surely popular, but most? Impossible to say, even if you could get importers and retailers sales figures. A group of rifles commonly seen and seldom complained about would be the best you can expect, and the 3 you named would be in that group, along with the Savage, Sako and Ruger, as well as a few others. Spare parts are seldom a problem with current models of rifles, and many of them are imported by the same wholesaler so no one rifle would have "better" support than another. Visit a large shop and shoulder a few, you may be surprised at just how bad a rifle may feel to you, where others swear by it, for myself I really like the Ruger 77 MkII paddle stock, but many hate it. Best of luck.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 03 Jun 2020, 10:50 pm

Tikka t3x or the howa 1500 cant go wrong with either rifles. Although my 308 took a bit of work to get the booring 1/2 inch consistency of a tikka rifle the price difference is hard to beat.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 04 Jun 2020, 12:27 am

Howa 1500 and Weatherby vanguard are almost identical if that helps.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2020, 4:02 am

Spare parts ? In today’s world? Google is your friend...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 04 Jun 2020, 6:04 am

Truth is that all guns made today are capable of acceptable hunting groups, the gun that's right for you will depend on how you intend to hunt, (stalking through scrub or sitting over a dam) the likely distance to your target (if a pigs close a lever might be better than a bolt) and most importantly how it feels when you pick it up (is it heavy?, does the stock give you a good cheek weld?, is the stock too long or short?) Not to mention budget.
You've probably nailed three of the most popular but I'd be inclined to look at everything to find just right rather than just popular, a new gun is exciting but make sure to look more than once before buying.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 04 Jun 2020, 6:57 am

Be sure to consider the Lithgow.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jun 2020, 7:13 am

For aftermarket or genuine accessories it may be logical to buy something common but for original spare parts be mindful that most are well made and will likely last a few decades before you have a part failure .....they are not like tvs , or iphone charging cables
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 04 Jun 2020, 7:54 am

One would have to consider that the only part on a rifle subject to wear is the barrel and it would be a rare situation where one would seek out a manufacturer's replacement barrel in preference to a custom barrel.
Other parts on modern rifles generally don't break unless subjected to hamfisted ignorance.
If you actually need a spare part for a commonly available modern rifle then it's an arm and a leg as well as an indeterminately long wait. If it's a discontinued or short production run rifle then it's arms and legs if available or if you can find somebody to make it for you.
However high production volume military actions such as M98 and Lee Enfield when used in sporters are well served with the availability of parts but they don't fall within the original poster's selection criteria unless he were to consider a Zastava M98 but even then if he wanted an original factory part for it then reread the previous sentence.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jun 2020, 7:55 am

Unfortunately the most popular are going to be the cheapest, and the better rfiles are going to be more expensive and less popular. If there was a $150 Chinese built 308, it would sell like hot cakes. A $6,000 custom action rifle is less popular but the after sales service is likely much better.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Aliqua » 04 Jun 2020, 6:01 pm

Just make sure when you are researching reviews etc you check the review date, sometimes they may be outdated.

No one mentioned the browning and I love my browning - it is heavy especially with the scope so probably not a rifle you want to carry around without a sling for too long unless you are planning on proning.

Goto a gun shop and handle all the guns. So much makes up for their comfort specific to you -- including things like stock, cheek rest, balance... once you have a list of a couple do your research on the indicidual products.

When I was looking at 308s I wanted the rem 700 pcr, but some guys on here stated the quality of barrel may not be as it used to be -- all the reviews I saw said good things - but they were in fact popular reviews prioritised by google from 2013-15. When I typed in 2019 review I did actually find some negative reviews.

Good luck in your search! One last thing I'll add '"most popular" doesn't make it the best, it could also be the most affordable to the masses. Have a budget in your head, and look at rifles in that range - if you dont have a budget and you handle something more than you can afford it may make it harder for you to select one you want to buy. Oh and also dont forget to budget for a scope (my scope cost more than my rifle)? bipod? and cleaning assessories... there are PLENTY of topics on these forums re: scopes for your purposes whatever they may be (range, hunting, distances, weather, durability etc).
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 04 Jun 2020, 8:02 pm

In my opinion get the Howa if you want value for money and outstanding accuracy (with a bit of tweaking) Out of the box accuracy cant be beat with a tikka,

Also dont underestimate the Ruger American/ranch/Predator - value and accuracy - some people hate the trigger but you can swap it out for a Timney or Jard if budget permits . Heard good things about the new(ish) Mauder entry level M18 (?) and the Sauer 100XT - both offer 3 or even 5 shot MOA guarantees

I think it comes down to intended use but all the above rifles are hunting oriented. At the end of the day the buyer needs to go to the shop and find out which one feels the best as they all shoot well and for hunting, minute of deer is good enough
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Urbanbushman » 05 Jun 2020, 3:56 am

Never mind all things American, how about staying with the Ozzie Lithgow 102 in .308, mine is a tack driver with Hornady Whitetail. The only down side is Lithgow are very poor with aftermarket add ons. Any one know where I can get a heavy varmit barrel for the 102? Oh and trying to find an up grade stock, don’t even go there :lol: :lol:
Urbanbushman
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jun 2020, 7:39 am

Urbanbushman wrote:ns. Any one know where I can get a heavy varmit barrel for the 102? Oh and trying to find an up grade stock, don’t even go there :lol: :lol:

You can get a barrel from Maddco, Hardy, Benchmark, Pac Nor or Lilja to name a few. See your nearest gunsmith.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 05 Jun 2020, 4:52 pm

Howa's dime a dozen
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 05 Jun 2020, 5:07 pm

Bloody hard to go past my Sako Finnlight....one of the best 308s ive had....and ive had a few....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Jun 2020, 9:43 pm

I've seriously considered the Lithgow LA102 and then a LA105 for competitions further into the future. I own a LA101, having issues with aftermarket and genuine magazines not seating properly which causes feeding issues. I just figured that perhaps something quality that most people have would mean I could trade parts with people. Thanks for your insights guys!
Member-Deleted

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Jun 2020, 8:36 am

Howa for good value, Tikka if you want something a bit nicer. Don't neglect your optic,spend as much as you can afford, vortex, Burris and Leupold all ha e great warranty.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2020, 11:02 am

Geez fellas, I’m supprised no one else knows the answer, it’s Holden that made the best 308 . Especially the HQ series :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 11 Jun 2020, 11:27 am

SLR will always be my fav.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Jun 2020, 3:12 pm

bigrich wrote:Geez fellas, I’m supprised no one else knows the answer, it’s Holden that made the best 308 . Especially the HQ series :D

:lol: :clap: :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duddley75 » 11 Jun 2020, 3:51 pm

I can't wait to pick up my Howa 308 in a few weeks. Mine is set in an MDT ESS chassis , so it looks a little different....
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2020, 5:00 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:SLR will always be my fav.

i had a modified LH torrie with a worked up 253 and a UC rts front end grafted on . V8 powered go kart :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Jun 2020, 7:27 pm

bigrich wrote:
AussieCapitalist wrote:SLR will always be my fav.

i had a modified LH torrie with a worked up 253 and a UC rts front end grafted on . V8 powered go kart :D

Ah the good ol' 253...good cos its a holden V8...and also because...well...err...ah crap...!!... :lol:

With something like the bore of a 186 & stroke of a 202, they were good at guzzling fuel...the only difference i ever noticed from a warmed up 253 was an incredible excess of noise which made them look like they went even slower...cos you'd look up assuming to see a car speeding off in the distance, only to be amazed that a V8 powered car could make that much noise for that long & still only be 15 metres from where it took off & already be needing a re-fuel... :lol:

Sorry...im a Holden man so i hate to say this, but my girlfriends gas converted, ...stock as a rock, ...straight 6, ...250 powered, ...typical Ford understeering & dropping door horrible door latching, ...disgusting mission brown coloured Cortina, ...seriously embarrased any 253 powered H-series Holden or Torana... :unknown: :problem: :oops:

I hated that car...but i loved its off the line torque...
:lol:
8-)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Jun 2020, 4:52 am

My mildly modified 253 when fitted in a HQ sedan made 200 rear wheel horsepower and ran 15.6 on the quarter mile stix. It was noticeably quicker in the torana but I never got the chance to run it on the quarter mile. I had a mate who built a 253 skid car engine that went in a Gemini, solid cam with big heads and a cain tunnel ram with a pair of 390 four barrel holleys. That made 171 rear wheel horsepower at 7800 rpm , in first gear !
Cortina’s could go hard, but they didn’t go round corners as well as a torana.
Of coarse if you want a real missile , a centura with a 265 hemi is hard to beat.
They definitely don’t go round corners
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jun 2020, 6:42 am

I saw a 253 do 11 secs in 400m once...

Of course it had a rope attached and the depth sounder was varying between 395 and 405m :friends:

What a waste of steel.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 12 Jun 2020, 7:22 am

bigrich wrote:My mildly modified 253 when fitted in a HQ sedan made 200 rear wheel horsepower and ran 15.6 on the quarter mile stix. It was noticeably quicker in the torana but I never got the chance to run it on the quarter mile. I had a mate who built a 253 skid car engine that went in a Gemini, solid cam with big heads and a cain tunnel ram with a pair of 390 four barrel holleys. That made 171 rear wheel horsepower at 7800 rpm , in first gear !
Of coarse if you want a real missile , a centura with a 265 hemi is hard to beat.

What times, I remember the Chrysler put downs of the 253 such as "having the power of a six and the economy of an eight".
But the big two got even for those taunts. When Chrysler had a prospect it would clean up at Bathurst with a 340 in a Charger, mysteriously the homologation rules got tinkered with and worldwide Chrysler, that was in financial trouble at the time, couldn't cope. So we got an E55 that even with a detuned and corked up auto 340 could still pull 14 second quarters.
File that under woulda, shoulda, coulda.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Jun 2020, 9:13 am

I hear ya straightshooter, I was a Chrysler guy when I was younger. I had a 67 VC with a modified 318 that used to eat 351’s and 308’s for breakfast
The E55 or even a nice 318 vh or vj 770 would do me now
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2020, 9:34 am

bigrich wrote:My mildly modified 253 when fitted in a HQ sedan made 200 rear wheel horsepower and ran 15.6 on the quarter mile stix. It was noticeably quicker in the torana but I never got the chance to run it on the quarter mile. I had a mate who built a 253 skid car engine that went in a Gemini, solid cam with big heads and a cain tunnel ram with a pair of 390 four barrel holleys. That made 171 rear wheel horsepower at 7800 rpm , in first gear !

Haha...!! :)
Good stuff bigrich... :thumbsup:
Im not sure what you mean about running the quarter though...you say it ran 15.6 but you never got to run it... :unknown:

Anyway...a 253 running in the 15's is pretty good... :thumbsup:
But at the end of the day, you have to admit getting a 253 to go fast would be like trying to get a 310 cadet to perform like a...well...like a 308... :lol: ...
The amount of money youd spend on one just isnt worth it--if you wanted fast, youd put your money into a 308 or go a Chev 350 or something...

And i hope you know im mucking around mate with my silly stirring banter... :thumbsup:

Speaking of Hemi's...
For something different, to compete down the quarter I wanted to build a sooper dooper 265 powered HR Ute & call it "Sacrilege"--sacrilege for doing that to a holden... :lol:
I rekon if couldve got power to the ground it wouldve built a funny little fan club & done well as theres not much weight in a HR Ute...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jun 2020, 9:44 am

Stix wrote:[
The amount of money youd spend on one just isnt worth it--if you wanted fast, youd put your money into a 308 or go a Chev 350 or something...

Ahem. 10.23 @ 143mph at willowbank on a K3 gsxr1000...got the trophy to prove it lol.
Show me a bent 8 that can do that for under $10k.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles