Another go at the Creed.....

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Another go at the Creed.....

Post by solarpak » 03 Jun 2020, 7:12 pm

Decided to get a small project going and will be picking up a Howa stainless sporter barrelled action in 6.5 CM.

Have used the Creed before and not a bad hunting round - and would be a nice stalking round as such for what i do.

Even though the howa barrelled action isnt known as the lightest one around i need to know what stock option would be the lightest??
I would think that either the old 'tupperware" synthetic stocks or a walnut stock would be the lightest (in a Short Action)

The howa barrelled action weighs 2.3 kgs(approx) - and my ideal overall weight scoped is 4kgs- thus i have 1.7 kgs to play with regarding a stock, scope and rings.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Another go at the Creed.....

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jun 2020, 7:23 pm

A Boyd laminate stock would be fairly light.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 03 Jun 2020, 8:30 pm

I see the boyds thumbhole FT are listed at around 2.2 lbs (1 kg ) and the new boyds spike camp stocks at 2.5 lb ..the thumbhole FT could be a goer - provided the weight is correct .

As a aside - for all users of the Boyds laminate stocks - are they used as is or glass bedded / pillars installed? Years ago i had a boyds which i added pillars and glass bedded - expensive work - but improved it immensely.

Will look into this further
C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jun 2020, 9:19 pm

I have a thumbhole Boyds stock which I used as is and she shoots great. If I had any problems I would have bedded it.

There is a NZ company that makes Carbon stocks which would be the lightest around. Slightly dearer than the Boyds however.

https://m.facebook.com/southfortlabs/?_ ... om.au&_rdr
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 03 Jun 2020, 9:31 pm

A Bell & Carlson will set me back around $600 - but having said that no further work would be needed regarding the bedding. But do i want to spend that that much coin on a stock ?? (is a budget build in this case )
A boyds laminate OR a walnut stock may be the candidates - the laminates run at around 1kg (2.2 lb) but if the walnut stocks are lighter then that could be the way to go - and just get the recoil lug glass bedded??

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jun 2020, 10:14 pm

Personally, if weight was crucial - I’d settle on a scope / base / rings set first to understand what was left over for stock. You can manipulate a stock if need be.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by RUGGA » 04 Jun 2020, 2:44 pm

I used my boyds without bedding. It cracked across grip in under 12 months, the internet tells me bedding would have prevented this so probably worth doing. A lower recoiling cartridge might not have the same problem though. Mine was .270 win, so pretty mild.

Was a great handling stock and improved accuracy while it lasted.
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by solarpak » 04 Jun 2020, 6:55 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Personally, if weight was crucial - I’d settle on a scope / base / rings set first to understand what was left over for stock. You can manipulate a stock if need be.

Good point Tassie,

i found out that the Howa SA walnut stocks that OSA bring in weigh around 800 grams - so with that in mind the bare rifle weight will be around 3.1 kg - and that gives me 900 grams to play with.

Will probably go for this option and get the recoil lug glass bedded for extra piece of mind.

Up top - looking at Talley 1 inch low rings and either a 2-7 x 33 or 3-9 x 40 - If i can find an old redfield revolution 2-7x 33 that would be the mustard.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 05 Jun 2020, 5:59 pm

I know that weight is an important consideration for a rifle that has to be carried up hill and down dale, but in my case, I have found balance to be more important than weight when it came to the shooting, rather than the carrying.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 06 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback thus far....

I have decided to fit the Howa creedmoor barrelled action to a McMillan Mcswirley stock which is currently on a weatherby vanguard 243. Both short action calibres the McSwirley weighs in at 850 grams or so - thus would be a better option. I ordered a walnut Short action howa stock also which will go onto the weatherby (these weigh in at 950 gr or so according to the dealer - but will wait and see when it arrives)

The weight saving by using the McMillan on the creedmoor barrelled action means that i will be able to use a Hawke Vantage 4-12 x50 scope i currently have and i should achieve a final weight around the 3.8 kg mark.

With the Weatherby Vanguard and the walnut stock, fitting a scope in the order of a 2-7 x 33 will be perfect - on a 243 i seldom use any magnification over 7 or 8X and the weight saving will be appreciated. Have my eye on either a Redfield Revolution or a Leupy VX1

These days the 243 is a back-up rifle that comes out with me and shooting 100/105 gr factory loads at fallow and red deer it does the job nicely - if need be.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2020, 5:25 pm

RUGGA wrote:I used my boyds without bedding. It cracked across grip in under 12 months, the internet tells me bedding would have prevented this so probably worth doing. A lower recoiling cartridge might not have the same problem though. Mine was .270 win, so pretty mild.

Was a great handling stock and improved accuracy while it lasted.

was this a laminate stock :wtf: that puts me off buying a boyds :thumbsdown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by RUGGA » 07 Jun 2020, 6:41 pm

Yeah, laminated classic shape. I seem to be one of very few who had a negative experience. Only a 30 day warranty on them.

I really liked it but couldn't stomach buying another. Had to buy a horrible 2nd hand hogue for top dollar to keep hunting.
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2020, 7:21 pm

RUGGA wrote:Yeah, laminated classic shape. I seem to be one of very few who had a negative experience. Only a 30 day warranty on them.

I really liked it but couldn't stomach buying another. Had to buy a horrible 2nd hand hogue for top dollar to keep hunting.

that's p!ss poor of a boyd stock. laminate are supposed to be fairly strong . if i get something non-timber i think i'll go B&C

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles