Remington 700 in .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Remington 700 in .223

Post by moudzj » 20 Jun 2020, 7:00 pm

Hhahah, probably not. The Kuiu here can be found for around $1300 which is actually quite intruiging for me. Just trying to figure out if the balance of a 20" Model 7 would be better than the lighter weight of the 16" for freehand shooting. I think the 16" would handle better for my shorter stature and scrawny arms, lol. Would be really nice to have this rifle for walking around in the scrub and quick hog offhand shooting.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2020, 10:03 pm

i looked into rem 7's, they are a light weight carry rifle . i got onto some american forums for opinions , and like winchester featherweights, after the first two shots the groups open up because of the light barrel profile . in the tradition of the 303 jungle carbine or cut down 8x57 mauser , it would be a good pig gun i guess ;)

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2020, 10:08 pm

308 ruger scouts aren't bad, the one i had was accurate and had a tweaked trigger, but their not that light and the stainless action on mine wasn't nice, it was gritty. i had a 8x57 1938 ankara turk mauser ( originally 1903 german made ), that was slicker and smoother
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Jun 2020, 11:10 pm

Could you buy another rifle and have your gunsmith dock the barrel for you. Mine charges me $90 for a cut and recrown.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 26 Jun 2020, 12:37 am

moudzj wrote:Guys... came across this puppy today

https://www.remington.com/news/2018/rem ... eaded-kuiu

What do we all think about it in .308 with respect to barrel length? It weighs 2.5kg... unreal...

I'll tell you right now, you're gonna have a sore shoulder. My Ruger American 'Ranch' in 450 Bushmaster is similar in terms of size, weight & muzzle energy and its thoroughly unpleasant to shoot. Thats with a howitzer-sized muzzle brake and big cushy recoil pad too.

Maybe I'm just a 6'2" 100kg pussy but 2700ftlb in a 2.5kg rifle is a bit too much for comfort.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by in2anity » 26 Jun 2020, 9:34 am

boingk wrote:Maybe I'm just a 6'2" 100kg pussy but 2700ftlb in a 2.5kg rifle is a bit too much for comfort.

FWIW, I fibreglass filled the honeycomb forend of my ranch to stiffen it up. That added a few hundred grams alone. My ranch is 3.7kg scoped w. sling, muzzle brake and cheek riser - tbh I'd prefer it a little lighter, but it will group, good enough for a splash of sling comp every now and again. :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 26 Jun 2020, 2:16 pm

moudzj wrote:Hhahah, probably not. The Kuiu here can be found for around $1300 which is actually quite intruiging for me. Just trying to figure out if the balance of a 20" Model 7 would be better than the lighter weight of the 16" for freehand shooting. I think the 16" would handle better for my shorter stature and scrawny arms, lol. Would be really nice to have this rifle for walking around in the scrub and quick hog offhand shooting.

go the blackout, and just shoot supers.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 26 Jun 2020, 4:41 pm

Ended up getting the Model 7 Kuiu in .308. Comes in with 16.5" barrel weighing in at 2.5kg unscoped. Felt amazing when i held it at the shop, they had it scoped, and the weight, size and balance was perfect for my scrawny short arms. Interested in shooting it within 100m, and rarely to 200 (scrub shooting). Hope my PTA comes in next week so I can pick it up before next weekends trip.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles