Remington 700 in .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Remington 700 in .223

Post by Ziege » 09 Jun 2020, 11:06 pm

My sub moa 300win is a wonderful walnut stock fitted vanguard.

Would love a mark V but the vanguard us just too sweet, if I buy another high powered it will be another vanguard or howa
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2020, 5:26 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigrich wrote:i'm in the process of swapping over from a 223 sauer 101 synthetic to a 223 weatherby s2 vangaurd . the sauer wasn't bad , but seemed affected by the cold more than my bedded timber stocked rifles .i just didn't connect with the sauer , besides , at heart i like a traditional rifle with a internal mag and floor plate design . there's more aftermarket parts/accessories for the weatherby/howa rifles, which is something i didn't consider with the sauer .also with a timber stock i can customise it easier. if i want to reduce the size/shape of the cheek rest, change recoil pads to adjust length of pull, or shorten /slim down the stock , it's all easier with timber . i looked at a new rem stainless sps, and while the fit and finish was okay , it wasn't great . the weatherby on the other hand was slick and well finished with a good trigger . it wasn't hard to choose between the two .....

between the rem and tikka, i would get the tikka and tweak the trigger,

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

I’m hearing ya BR - it’s easy to get sick of sauers boring .5 moa accuracy and I know you enjoy a challenge of bringing that weatherby into 2 moa. It takes work, but it’s ver my satisfying when you get there :sarcasm:

Well taz, the second hand Weatherby turned out to be a good score, shooting better than my sauer did. The sauer’s have a good rep, mine must’ve been made on a Monday by the apprentice :lol:

Shoots OSA factory ammo under a inch. I full length resized some brass from the sauer and the results are good. I’m thinking this load in the now fire formed for the Weatherby brass should get even better. I’ve heard good things about the Howa/Weatherby rifle, but how this one shoots in a factory non floating synthetic stock is impressive. I’ve got a timber Sporter stock for it, so that’s the next experiment :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpg
Handload in full resized brass at 100
image.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 4345 times
image.jpg
OSA factory at 100
image.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 4345 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2020, 5:46 pm

Fark yeah BR - looking very nice indeed !!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by moudzj » 16 Jun 2020, 7:53 pm

Have an update for you lads

Went into my local with a prejudice against the Tikka.

Am now confident that its the rifle im going to buy in .223. It just feels so streamlined, and its weight is just phenomenal. I cannot get over how light and slender it felt.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 16 Jun 2020, 7:55 pm

moudzj wrote:Have an update for you lads

After holding afew rifles, am now confident that its the rifle im going to buy in .223. It just feels so streamlined, and its weight is just phenomenal. I cannot get over how light and slender it felt.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 17 Jun 2020, 4:30 am

Am now confident that its the rifle im going to buy in .223. It just feels so streamlined, and its weight is just phenomenal. I cannot get over how light and slender it felt.

Good to hear mate, hope she goes well for you!
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 17 Jun 2020, 4:53 am

I don’t think you will be disappointed with the tikka . What twist rate did you get ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by moudzj » 17 Jun 2020, 8:12 am

bigrich wrote:

I don’t think you will be disappointed with the tikka . What twist rate did you get ?

Haven't bought one yet, however maybe the 1in8. What do you recommend?
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 17 Jun 2020, 9:05 am

Both fellas I shoot with have Tikkas. My Sauer groups marginally better, but the Tikkas shoot extremely well.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Jun 2020, 9:21 am

moudzj wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Depending on what you intend to do, 1-12 for light bunny and fox projectiles 40-55 gn , 1-8 for 55 gn and heavier . If you reload the 1-8 twist would give you the advantage of using 60gn soft points as a general purpose “field” load . Nosler and Speer make some, it’s something I’m going to look into. With good shot placement this could be handy.A laminate stock, trigger tweak, and the tikka’s are really good shooters. As with any rifle, handloading will shrink groups. Refer to my previous pictures of the second hand Weatherby I bought with regards to this
Aftermarket parts are readily available for the tikka’s, which also gives them a advantage over some other brands
JMHO :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by moudzj » 17 Jun 2020, 12:47 pm

bigrich wrote:
moudzj wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Depending on what you intend to do, 1-12 for light bunny and fox projectiles 40-55 gn , 1-8 for 55 gn and heavier . If you reload the 1-8 twist would give you the advantage of using 60gn soft points as a general purpose “field” load . Nosler and Speer make some, it’s something I’m going to look into. With good shot placement this could be handy.A laminate stock, trigger tweak, and the tikka’s are really good shooters. As with any rifle, handloading will shrink groups. Refer to my previous pictures of the second hand Weatherby I bought with regards to this
Aftermarket parts are readily available for the tikka’s, which also gives them a advantage over some other brands
JMHO :thumbsup:

I think id go for the 1in8, because I want this to be my general field rifle, as a testament to its weight, or lack there of. Just had a look at my local gunshops ammo stock and it definitely seems to lean toward >55grn projectiles which is good given what I want it for.

Thankyou for all this advice, so much appreciated.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Jun 2020, 2:11 pm

anytime moudzj :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Larry » 17 Jun 2020, 2:29 pm

Just an FYI the faster twist 223's most often have a longer chamber as they are designed to take heavier bullets. This can be a problem if you are shooting lighter bullets and want or need them close to the lands.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by moudzj » 17 Jun 2020, 2:49 pm

Larry wrote:Just an FYI the faster twist 223's most often have a longer chamber as they are designed to take heavier bullets. This can be a problem if you are shooting lighter bullets and want or need them close to the lands.

Larry, thankyou for your input

Could you please clarify what you mean by close to the lands? Thanks... Really hope the twist decision wont get complicated hahahaha

Nature of the game i guess
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Jun 2020, 6:43 pm

Are you sure that the 223 ammo at your funshop is heavier than 55 grains? The 223 does its best work with lighter bullets because it doesn't have a lot of case capacity. All things being equal, a 1:12 will be more accurate than a 1:8. If a 1:14 was available, then it would have an advantage. My next 223 barrel will be 1:14 but I have no interest in shooting 80 grain bullets with a 223.

If you shoot 50 grain bullets from your 223 and you have a bigger caliber rifle available to you, I would get the 1:12. If you want to try 70 or 80 grain bullets, then the 1:8 is what you will need to get.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Jun 2020, 7:39 pm

IMO a good compromise is a 1:9” twist. Can still stabilize a 70gr for 500m shots.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 18 Jun 2020, 12:20 am

SCJ429 wrote:Are you sure that the 223 ammo at your funshop is heavier than 55 grains? The 223 does its best work with lighter bullets because it doesn't have a lot of case capacity. All things being equal, a 1:12 will be more accurate than a 1:8. If a 1:14 was available, then it would have an advantage. My next 223 barrel will be 1:14 but I have no interest in shooting 80 grain bullets with a 223.

If you shoot 50 grain bullets from your 223 and you have a bigger caliber rifle available to you, I would get the 1:12. If you want to try 70 or 80 grain bullets, then the 1:8 is what you will need to get.

I'd say the majority is at 55grns on the mark.

Have purchased a Howa 1500 in .308, just need something lighter. I have interest in the slightly heavier rounds because I'd like the option one day of maybe taking a shot at a medium sized pig if its what I'm carrying.. this isn't going to be my target/paper rifle. Do you think 55grn pills would be okay with the 1in12?
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2020, 6:56 am

just to weigh in on twist rates, my weatherby 223 is 1-9 and seems to shoot 55gn very well, heavier 60-65gn soft points or 69 gn matchkings probably more so. i have a 222 winchester as well that was rebarreled as a 1-12 twist instead of the 222 standard 1-14 twist .55gn are probably the maximum weight that a 1-14 can shoot accurately for most rifles . my 1-12 twist 222 rifle likes more bearing surface on projectiles than 1-14 twist to shoot well. it shoots 50 gn hornady soft points well , 55 vmax even better, they make clover leafs @ 100 , 60gn vmax can make one hole at 100 but the trajectory is not as flat as the lighter projectiles which means i have to allow for holdover at distance . 55 gn should shoot well in a 1-8 twist tikka moudzj, but if 55-60 gn for hunting are what you want it for , i would go 1-12 as it will shoot these better. 1-8 is great for target work with heavier projectiles IMHO . hope this helps. take all views and opinions with a grain of salt though moudzj , as what works well for one person and their particular rifle may be a little different for you :thumbsup:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jun 2020, 8:03 am

A 222 with a 1:14 twist will shoot 55 grain bullets very well, a 60 grain bullet would be pushing it especially longer polymer tipped bullets. A 223 has a little more speed and with a 1:12 twist it may be able to shoot 60 or 62 grain projectiles.

I shoot 55 grain bullets at foxes, goats and the odd pig. In NZ they used the 222 to cull thousands of Red Deer. Placement is the key.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2020, 8:59 am

SCJ429 wrote:A 222 with a 1:14 twist will shoot 55 grain bullets very well, a 60 grain bullet would be pushing it especially longer polymer tipped bullets. A 223 has a little more speed and with a 1:12 twist it may be able to shoot 60 or 62 grain projectiles.

I shoot 55 grain bullets at foxes, goats and the odd pig. In NZ they used the 222 to cull thousands of Red Deer. Placement is the key.

my 222 loves the 60 vmax , but i use the 55 vmax as their still accurate in my rifle but i can use less holdover . out to 200 the 60's duplicate the trajectory of my 6.5x55 which would make it easy to switch between rifles, but speed is a factor in all this as well , which in my case the 55's are a good compromise. the only 50's my 1-12 222 likes are flat base projectiles. i put this down to more bearing surface. the other thing i found with a twist rate change was a switch from ar2207 to BM2 for best accuracy . love the 222, i always wanted a winchester 70 xtr when i was young , only got one a couple of years ago . won't ever part with it :D

a 223 is practicle as second hand brass is cheap or free , and on some property's ammo is supplied for culls which also makes owning a 223 practicle . the weatherby i've got is a project rifle which is going to have it's stock cut down and slimmed with the cheek peice re-shaped for my big fat head :lol:
i'm also going to get the barrel cut and recrowned to 20" . the object is to build a compact portable 223 similar to a rem 7 or a winchester "compact", ruger scout type rifle . i thought about a cz 527 , but i don't like the lack of bolt to scope clearance on that rifle
i have a theory that the 223 with 20" barrel should have similar ballistics to my 222 , but without compromising accuracy ,and result in a lighter more compact rifle for general use , portability and getting in and out of vehicles
i love a new project :P , and some of what i've posted may give some different ideas and perspectives to others :thumbsup:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Jun 2020, 7:54 am

bigrich wrote:
my 222 loves the 60 vmax , but i use the 55 vmax as their still accurate in my rifle but i can use less holdover . out to 200 the 60's duplicate the trajectory of my 6.5x55 which would make it easy to switch between rifles, but speed is a factor in all this as well , which in my case the 55's are a good compromise. the only 50's my 1-12 222 likes are flat base projectiles. i put this down to more bearing surface. the other thing i found with a twist rate change was a switch from ar2207 to BM2 for best accuracy . love the 222, i always wanted a winchester 70 xtr when i was young , only got one a couple of years ago . won't ever part with it :D

a 223 is practicle as second hand brass is cheap or free , and on some property's ammo is supplied for culls which also makes owning a 223 practicle . the weatherby i've got is a project rifle which is going to have it's stock cut down and slimmed with the cheek peice re-shaped for my big fat head :lol:
i'm also going to get the barrel cut and recrowned to 20" . the object is to build a compact portable 223 similar to a rem 7 or a winchester "compact", ruger scout type rifle . i thought about a cz 527 , but i don't like the lack of bolt to scope clearance on that rifle
i have a theory that the 223 with 20" barrel should have similar ballistics to my 222 , but without compromising accuracy ,and result in a lighter more compact rifle for general use , portability and getting in and out of vehicles
i love a new project :P , and some of what i've posted may give some different ideas and perspectives to others :thumbsup:

Why would you be concerned that shortening the barrel may compromise accuracy? The harmonics of the barrel will change, the frequency of the resonating will increase. You may need to change your load to adjust to this but there is a chance that accuracy may increase after you do this. Short range bench rest shooters use barrels just over 20 inches to shoot their amazingly small groups.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2020, 8:40 am

Well I am cautious about modifying stuff SCJ ,sometimes something you didn’t consider bites you on the ass. :D

But I believe from other sources that as you say accuracy could actually get better due the the barrel flexing less due to it being shorter. Some load adjustments may be needed, but I wouldn’t imagine it changing to much :thumbsup:

I think I read somewhere that the 223 was initially designed for a 20” barrel and as you say, lots of comp shooters use a short barrel. I love tinkering with stuff :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 19 Jun 2020, 8:48 am

20" works just fine for 2-300m, you wouldn't be able to spot the difference (in terms of group size). I run a 22" comprimise-length barrel for my comp 223; with the 69gr smk very very consistent out to 400m (and probably further, never tried).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Jun 2020, 10:34 am

Just FYI and slightly to the left - some smarter ppl than me, cut and re crowned the barrel each cut, my 260 tikka from 24” back to 20.5 utilising .50 inch increments, In an effort to get max accuracy from a particular load.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2020, 3:52 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Just FYI and slightly to the left - some smarter ppl than me, cut and re crowned the barrel each cut, my 260 tikka from 24” back to 20.5 utilising .50 inch increments, In an effort to get max accuracy from a particular load.

i've heard of that being done with rimfires taz. i also found a online gun site , "accurate shooter" i think, where they cut a 223 barrel back one inch at a time from 24" to 16" , and tested it . and the accuracy only started to drop off at 16" apparently . the average FPS speed dropped of by 25FPS per inch . i'm pretty sure i'll be right with my project , but that murphy's law thing can pop up when ya least expect it :D

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Troyus » 20 Jun 2020, 12:08 am

Lithgow la102!
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:03 am

Troyus wrote:Lithgow la102!

You have one or you want one?.?.? :unknown:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Jun 2020, 11:42 am

Chris Cornell!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by moudzj » 20 Jun 2020, 3:37 pm

Guys... came across this puppy today

https://www.remington.com/news/2018/rem ... eaded-kuiu

What do we all think about it in .308 with respect to barrel length? It weighs 2.5kg... unreal...
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Jun 2020, 5:39 pm

If your budget would stretch to this Sako, you would be much happier.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=174984
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles