Swedish M96 threaded barrel protector (cap?)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Swedish M96 threaded barrel protector (cap?)

Post by ThatNewGuy » 07 Jun 2020, 4:42 pm

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if the Swedish M96(/38?) thread protectors are a must or should I be fine firing without one?

All of my googling tells me that the US has a fair few of them but as a new shooter, I have no clue what the laws are regarding imports and the like.

Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Swedish M96 threaded barrel protector (cap?)

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jun 2020, 10:35 pm

You don't need it for shooting, it just protects the thread from impact damage.
I bought a flash hider off Ebay for about $20 to do the same job. From memory it's an M14 thread.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Jun 2020, 10:51 pm

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by ThatNewGuy » 08 Jun 2020, 10:05 am

I had no clue that they had them I will give them a ring to see if they have any in-stock.

bladeracer wrote:You don't need it for shooting, it just protects the thread from impact damage.
I bought a flash hider off Ebay for about $20 to do the same job. From memory it's an M14 thread.

Ah, I'll look on eBay to see if there is any that appeal to me if rebel doesn't have any.

Thanks for the info you two.

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jun 2020, 1:44 pm

My M38.
Attachments
M38 Husky flash hider.jpg
M38 Husky flash hider.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 2342 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 08 Jun 2020, 3:04 pm

Wattle grove must have read your post. He put one up on used guns today. Not cheap though.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThatNewGuy » 08 Jun 2020, 4:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:My M38.

That flash hider is really clean If all else fails I think I'll be picking one up.

deanp100 wrote:Wattle grove must have read your post. He put one up on used guns today. Not cheap though.

I saw that and sent an email I'm hoping to see if it's still there if so then it's gonna save me time and it's cheaper than the one rebel has.

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jun 2020, 4:57 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:

That flash hider is really clean If all else fails I think I'll be picking one up.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=14mm+flash+hider&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=M14+flash+hider

This appears to be mine, though it's listed as CCW thread, the picture looks like standard thread to me.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A-P-S-Phantom-Muzzle-Airsoft-Toy-Flash-Hider-14mm-CCW-NOT-For-Real-APS-BB004A/282258793057

Standard M14x1mm thread - don't get AK ones, they're left-handed/CCW/reverse thread.
My intention was to turn it down to just a protector so I could still fit the bayonet, never got around to it :-)

Or anybody with a lathe can turn you up a protector cap pretty easily.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThatNewGuy » 08 Jun 2020, 6:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
ThatNewGuy wrote:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=14mm+flash+hider&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=M14+flash+hider

This appears to be mine, though it's listed as CCW thread, the picture looks like standard thread to me.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A-P-S-Phantom-Muzzle-Airsoft-Toy-Flash-Hider-14mm-CCW-NOT-For-Real-APS-BB004A/282258793057

Standard M14x1mm thread - don't get AK ones, they're left-handed/CCW/reverse thread.
My intention was to turn it down to just a protector so I could still fit the bayonet, never got around to it :-)

Or anybody with a lathe can turn you up a protector cap pretty easily.

I was thinking about getting a machinist to make the cap because my metalwork skills are sub-par at best but for now, I wait for Wattle grove to see if it's still in stock

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles