Ruger Ranch 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger Ranch 223

Post by MAC13 » 07 Jun 2020, 10:35 pm

Hi guys,
I have a Ruger Ranch rifle in 223/5.56.
my issue is i cant seem to shoot it constantly.
while shooting a target it's ok.but not that good .As soon as I try to shoot a fox or something. I seem to jerk the trigger. it has been adjusted by my local gun smith.
but it's still heavy trigger to squeeze.
I'm not sure if I should buy a new trigger or just get rid of the rifle.
MAC13
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ruger Ranch 223

Post by in2anity » 07 Jun 2020, 10:48 pm

Put the Timney in it. I have one in mine and it is sublime, and amazingly crisp. That’s the best upgrade you can do on the budget Rugers.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 07 Jun 2020, 10:49 pm

Cool little gun btw - love me a carbine for real-world shooting.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 07 Jun 2020, 11:02 pm

If that trigger is the same as in the American, there are two springs, one larger one smaller, remove the larger and put the smaller in its place, this will eliminate all the creep and should make the trigger less than 1lb whilst the safety and tang safety should still work perfectly. Cheers
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jun 2020, 4:36 am

I literally just used one of these kits on my 2 stage howa and I cannot believe the difference.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... spheader=1
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 08 Jun 2020, 8:01 am

I have Ruger American Ranch and find the trigger quite satisfactory. No doubt there is room for improvement however it does the job.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 8:18 am

MAC13 wrote:Hi guys,
while shooting a target it's ok.but not that good .As soon as I try to shoot a fox or something. I seem to jerk the trigger. it has been adjusted by my local gun smith.

The way i read your post, you have 2, or maybe even 3 issues...

1--the trigger is heavy

2--you are suffering a good deal of anxiety/(buck fever) when shooting live animals, that is causing you to yank at the trigger...
--if i interpret right, you may be missing or injuring the game you shoot because of this...?
(no harm in being honest here... :thumbsup: )

And maybe 3--the rifle aint that accurate.

Id suggest practice & be very aware of the "feel" of the trigger, & when in front of a fox, dont rush the shot...take your time, as much as is needed to get that adrenal gland to stop pumping electricity through your system..be aware of your breathing & heart rate ...then when you are settled, concentrate on that reticle being steady & "feel" that trigger as you gently squeeze until it goes orf..
Dont worry if it gets away--if a fox gets away without you having fired a shot, you'll have a much better chance of getting it next time, & learning to controll yourself will pay dividends soon enough. :thumbsup:

What sort of groups are you getting at what distance, out of the rifle at the range...?
...& can you put up some pics...?
:drinks:

Personally, i think if you are suffering buck fever badly enough that your accuracy is considerably worse than off a bench under no pressure, you wont help yourself at all with a lighter trigger...

Because to be blunt, if you shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100m off a bench, but miss a fox at 80 metres, its not a trigger weight issue... :)

You need to get the buck fever out of the way &/or learn to controll the trigger while experiencing that change in your physiology...& a heavier trigger is good for learning that controll.

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jun 2020, 10:11 am

When shooting in a paddock you should try and use some sort of rest, a tree, fence post or bring your own. Bipods can be useful but often you are too low to see your target and grass or the ground obscures it. I take some sticks so I can shoot sitting or kneeling. Practice shooting like this at the range.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Jun 2020, 3:11 pm

The combs are low on the Rugers; not great for a high-set scope. To compensate, I added a kydex cheek riser. I also added a Timney Trigger, a muzzle break, a larger more ergonomic bolt knob. I sanded the barrel channel to better free float the barrel. I fibre-glassed the honeycomb forend to stiffen it. I glass bedded the recoil lugs.

Last but not least, for out in the sticks, I added my favorite quick-entry stabilising sling called a "safari ching sling":

latest.jpg
latest.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 4723 times

Learning to effectively use a stabilising sling is IMO one of the most important aspects of practical marksmanship - somewhat of a lost art in the modern era of "lazy shooting". I shoot service and non-service 3-P every Saturday, and to omit the sling, even in the standing offhand postion, is kinda laughable. Simple, no sling = low score.

USMC Gunny Carlos Hathcock had a small piece of paper which he called his “Bible”. It consists of a credit card sized list of instructions for proper marksmanship. The tips were simply put as follows:

Body Alignment – Natural Point Of Aim
Firm Hand Shake Grip
Firm In Shoulder
Eye Relief – Spot Weld – No Shadow
Stare At Crosshairs – Target Is A Blur
Slow Steady Pressure On Trigger To Rear
Normal Respiratory Pause
Follow Thru

Practise makes permanent.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MAC13 » 08 Jun 2020, 6:40 pm

Stix wrote:
MAC13 wrote:Hi guys,

The way i read your post, you have 2, or maybe even 3 issues...

1--the trigger is heavy

2--you are suffering a good deal of anxiety/(buck fever) when shooting live animals, that is causing you to yank at the trigger...
--if i interpret right, you may be missing or injuring the game you shoot because of this...?
(no harm in being honest here... :thumbsup: )

And maybe 3--the rifle aint that accurate.

Id suggest practice & be very aware of the "feel" of the trigger, & when in front of a fox, dont rush the shot...take your time, as much as is needed to get that adrenal gland to stop pumping electricity through your system..be aware of your breathing & heart rate ...then when you are settled, concentrate on that reticle being steady & "feel" that trigger as you gently squeeze until it goes orf..
Dont worry if it gets away--if a fox gets away without you having fired a shot, you'll have a much better chance of getting it next time, & learning to controll yourself will pay dividends soon enough. :thumbsup:

What sort of groups are you getting at what distance, out of the rifle at the range...?
...& can you put up some pics...?

Personally, i think if you are suffering buck fever badly enough that your accuracy is considerably worse than off a bench under no pressure, you wont help yourself at all with a lighter trigger...

Because to be blunt, if you shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100m off a bench, but miss a fox at 80 metres, its not a trigger weight issue... :)

You need to get the buck fever out of the way &/or learn to controll the trigger while experiencing that change in your physiology...& a heavier trigger is good for learning that controll.

No doubt mate, I may be suffering buck fever a little. But I have no problem busting bunnies out to 120 meters with my 17 hmr. but I still struggle to do the same with the ranch rifle. I dont think I would suffer buck fever hitting bunnies.
unfortunately I dont have pics of my groups.
At a guess I would be around 1 to 2 inch at 100 meters with 3 or 4 rounds. I have never actually measured them though.

I have checked the stock is not touching the barrel.
but I do find it does not shoot aswell with a bipod on. I was not sure spending the money on a trigger would be worth while that's all.
MAC13
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MAC13 » 08 Jun 2020, 6:48 pm

Thanks is for the tips in2anity.
I'm pretty sure I'm doing most of that.
I will consider put a raised cheek piece on it.
I do find it easier to get a clear view through my 17 Hmr with a vortex scope. compared to my Leopold on the 223, so it may help.
MAC13
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 7:05 pm

in2anity wrote:The combs are low on the Rugers; not great for a high-set scope. To compensate, I added a kydex cheek riser. I also added a Timney Trigger, a muzzle break, a larger more ergonomic bolt knob. I sanded the barrel channel to better free float the barrel. I fibre-glassed the honeycomb forend to stiffen it. I glass bedded the recoil lugs.

Last but not least, for out in the sticks, I added my favorite quick-entry stabilising sling called a "safari ching sling":

latest.jpg

Learning to effectively use a stabilising sling is IMO one of the most important aspects of practical marksmanship - somewhat of a lost art in the modern era of "lazy shooting". I shoot service and non-service 3-P every Saturday, and to omit the sling, even in the standing offhand postion, is kinda laughable. Simple, no sling = low score.

USMC Gunny Carlos Hathcock had a small piece of paper which he called his “Bible”. It consists of a credit card sized list of instructions for proper marksmanship. The tips were simply put as follows:

Firm Hand Shake Grip
Firm In Shoulder
Normal Respiratory Pause
Follow Thru

Do you have or have shot a Howa mini action...???

How do these Rugers compare to the howa...(i ask out of curiosity as one day id like to get a short barrel spotlighting rig set up...ive had a few shots out of a Howa Mini & the shorter barrel was absolute bliss when it came to switching windows to shoot out of...Switching windows to shoot out of in a hurry with my Tikka is like a short episode of Mr Bean goes spotlighting... :lol: )
I dont like the Mag catch on the Howa though---it hits the door rest & the mag drops out--pretty poor design i think...

Happy to hear from anyone here...& i dont mean to hijack a thread but im only after a quick answer,,,

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 08 Jun 2020, 7:07 pm

Nothing beats trigger time, getting good costs money and time, I personally have been culling pest birds off orchards, my eye is in brilliant at the moment, 25 shot 22 mag and maybe miss 1 out of 25 between 10 and 120m, but nothing replaces taking shot after shot
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by MAC13 » 08 Jun 2020, 7:47 pm

that's exactly why I got the Ranch Stix.

I will have to do a lot more trigger time with it.
MAC13
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Jun 2020, 7:53 pm

Stix wrote:
Do you have or have shot a Howa mini action...???

How do these Rugers compare to the howa...(i ask out of curiosity as one day id like to get a short barrel spotlighting rig set up...ive had a few shots out of a Howa Mini & the shorter barrel was absolute bliss when it came to switching windows to shoot out of...Switching windows to shoot out of in a hurry with my Tikka is like a short episode of Mr Bean goes spotlighting... :lol: )
I dont like the Mag catch on the Howa though---it hits the door rest & the mag drops out--pretty poor design i think...

Happy to hear from anyone here...& i dont mean to hijack a thread but im only after a quick answer,,,

Stix the entry level Rugers are definitely not the quality of a Howa. I have a Howa 1500 (custom barrel) for comp in 223 which I adore - wish I could shoot it more. It has the lucky-13 kit, and the mag release is rearward - highly recommend. Both my guns have the Timney single stages - but it’s much easier to install an aftermarket trigger in the Howa than the Ruger - the Rugers have roll pins which need careful removal. For your application (i.e. ute-shootin) if you can afford a mag kit, 100% go the Howa mini over the Ruger ranch. Sorry Ruger - you know I still luv yu - love that flush mag across the back. :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 20 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm

in2anity wrote:The combs are low on the Rugers; not great for a high-set scope. To compensate, I added a kydex cheek riser. I also added a Timney Trigger, a muzzle break, a larger more ergonomic bolt knob. I sanded the barrel channel to better free float the barrel. I fibre-glassed the honeycomb forend to stiffen it. I glass bedded the recoil lugs.

latest.jpg

Firm Hand Shake Grip
Firm In Shoulder
Normal Respiratory Pause
Follow Thru

Put a red dot n magnifier on it!
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2022, 4:49 pm

Tubs wrote:Put a red dot n magnifier on it!

That would be great too! Although a little scope works well on the little girl - here's my mate shooting the blackout out to 520m:

https://youtu.be/9urwpURf3aI
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 20 Jan 2022, 8:47 pm

in2anity wrote:
Tubs wrote:Put a red dot n magnifier on it!

That would be great too! Although a little scope works well on the little girl - here's my mate shooting the blackout out to 520m:

https://youtu.be/9urwpURf3aI

Nice shootin' Tex! Does the 223 have the same barrel profile? Was looking at a BCL Bison then I saw the Ranch, looks like a great little carbine
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm

Tubs wrote:Nice shootin' Tex! Does the 223 have the same barrel profile? Was looking at a BCL Bison then I saw the Ranch, looks like a great little carbine

I think it’s the same - about 0.75” just before the threads. Means you may even get more meat than the 30cal because it’s a smaller hole. So more stiffness. They are accurate, but lack in velocity. This hurts on a blustery/fishy day beyond 100m.

My criticisms of that rifle are 1) weak ejector 2) crude push feeding. Nevertheless they are quite cheap.
Last edited by in2anity on 20 Jan 2022, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 20 Jan 2022, 9:12 pm

in2anity wrote:
Tubs wrote:Nice shootin' Tex! Does the 223 have the same barrel profile? Was looking at a BCL Bison then I saw the Ranch, looks like a great little carbine

I think it’s the same - about 0.75” just before the threads. Means you may even get more meat than the 30cal because it’s a smaller hole.

My criticisms of that rifle are 1) weak ejector 2) crude push feeding. Nevertheless they are quite cheap.

It's either that or a Howa I think
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2022, 9:15 pm

Tubs wrote:It's either that or a Howa I think

Howas are a bit better overall I found. I guess the mini action is what you’re looking at? There are more of them, in field positional that there are Rugers. Probs good to shoulder both of them before buying.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 20 Jan 2022, 9:23 pm

in2anity wrote:
Tubs wrote:It's either that or a Howa I think

Howas are a bit better overall I found. I guess the mini action is what you’re looking at? There are more of them, in field positional that there are Rugers. Probs good to shoulder both of them before buying.

Ive shot a 308 Howa before, really liked it. Not sure about the mini or not, I reload so it would be good to be able to run heavier bullets ie: longer OAL's out of a 1 in 8 twist 223 if I can.

I spend more time on range than in the field so Im looking for short (20 inches or less) but thick barrel that I can still lug around one day.

Would put a LPVO or red dot on it probably as per my scout thread

Would probably buy it off Cleaver - been looking at their page, so many to choose from! https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Product ... &Brand=113
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2022, 9:34 pm

Howas are great. They “just work” - no complaints. Yeah a 1:8” is desirable if you get more into comp - I have a 1:9” Howa and it loves the 69gr SMK - but at distance, that pill suffers noticeably more in the wind, compared with a 80.5gr fullbore pill. Like a difference of 3 minutes or more at 500m with say a 20km/h crosswind.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by str8shutr » 20 Jan 2022, 9:58 pm

in2anity wrote:

I think it’s the same - about 0.75” just before the threads. Means you may even get more meat than the 30cal because it’s a smaller hole. So more stiffness. They are accurate, but lack in velocity. This hurts on a blustery/fishy day beyond 100m.

If the question is asking about muzzle end, external barrel dimensions check here:
https://nodakspud.com/Ranch%20Sights.htm
There's relevant info at the bottom of the page.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles