Finally Finished

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Finally Finished

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 Jun 2020, 5:45 pm

G'day all, I may have mentioned that I had replaced the barrel and action on my rifle (22-250) with a new barrel and action as the old barrel was about to go bad so redone the stock, put it back together and started working up a load for it and finally today I've finished settled with the one on the right 36gr BM2 50gr Hornady sp, the pic on the left is min load at 33.5gr with same projectile so ''min-max'' I've settled for the max on right at somewhere near 3900 according to the good book but will chrony it later, but now i'm ready for the dog season up here :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Attachments
WIN_20200609_16_56_36_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200609_16_56_36_Pro.jpg (181.17 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Finally Finished

Post by Stix » 09 Jun 2020, 6:16 pm

Bloody fantastic Grandad...!!

Very happy for you mate... :thumbsup:

Have you got pics of the stock...??...(or did you post them already & i missed it...??...)

Anyway...you cant be unhappy with that for gods sake...a decent performing cheap bullet that is punching out ragged holes with any load & all within an inch of each other...you'll turn all the dogs into Christians with one crack mate--as holy as they can be... :lol: :thumbsup:

Only thing is, im sorry to say, this proves youre a bloody liar...!!!...you are a much better shot than youve always claimed...!!...think youre the "pool shark" (as in pub 8-ball) equivelant of the dog shooting world eh..!!.. 8-)
:lol:

Good Stuff...!!... :) :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 Jun 2020, 6:22 pm

No stix it's all luck just had a lucky day, you know what they say ,''He who brags Bullshits'' :lol: :thumbsup: :wtf: i'll put a pic of the finished rifle up in a few minutes if I can remember how :?
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 Jun 2020, 6:32 pm

There ya go stix it's the best I could do :thumbsup:
Attachments
WIN_20200609_18_28_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200609_18_28_23_Pro.jpg (179.15 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 09 Jun 2020, 6:42 pm

Very nice, well done.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 Jun 2020, 6:53 pm

Thanks Harrynsw
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 09 Jun 2020, 7:07 pm

Very nice work mate - and nice shootin'. Hope you aren't shooting the same areas as me, getting harder to bag dogs as it is!
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 Jun 2020, 7:11 pm

Thanks snag so where you from i'm from Eungella rd Mackay area
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

GDB. Your al BS! I reckon that's gonna be a safe queen. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by snag » 09 Jun 2020, 8:41 pm

Hey Grandadbushy,
I'm from Somerset shire in SE Qld, so we ain't gunna compete. Down here the council drops 1080 twice a year, don't trust us to take care of business. Love your work mate.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jun 2020, 9:52 pm

Snag, I occasionally visit a place for dogs at cross dale near Somerset. Last time quite a few months ago they were suffering big time with drought ... has that area had some good rain? I m hoping so for the people there
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jun 2020, 12:19 am

Yeah snag mate the councils always seem to think they know almost everything there is to know about wild dogs but mate I've proven several times that dogs learn not to take baits and also teach their young not to take them also, yes you will get dogs when you first bait an area but after a year or so they learn not to touch them, I shot 11 dogs in 7 days off a block that had been baited twice in 5mths, I also watched a bitch belt her pup to within an inch of it's life because it walked up to a bait hanging on a fence. What I have found though is if you shoot the dogs that have lived in an area for awhile you will get a lot of new comers with bait provided they don't come from a baited area nearby otherwise they won't touch them also baits kill a lot more than dogs
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jun 2020, 12:29 am

Yeah OB i'd like to keep her for a safe queen but unfortunately she's gonna be a work horse same as the last one, but my 7mm has been a safe queen lately ,not much use until it gets dryer and the wild cattle move down onto private property from the ranges and national parks because we're not allowed to shoot in the national parks up here they keep them for breeding ferals :crazy: :thumbsup: .
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Jun 2020, 12:53 am

Grandadbushy wrote:There ya go stix it's the best I could do :thumbsup:

Looks pretty good Grandad...
Now im kind of remembering you putpics up before... :oops:

Anyway...im impressed--looks like you got good ol''Jack Absalom to hold your rifle... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jun 2020, 1:05 am

I’m generally against the grain (omg I crack myself up) with wood stocks, preferring polymers for their durability and weight (I know, I know) - but I can’t deny the beauty in the grain - she’s artwork GDB!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jun 2020, 8:08 am

Yeah TT it used to have checkering on the forehand and back hand grip but I rubbed it off there was a lot of misses in the checkering pattern, ''like I said before'' sako's aren't like what they used to be in quality but they still shoot well ''AND cost plenty'' I don't like synthetic stocks I've got one on my 7mm and would change it straight away if I could but costs out weigh need .
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Jun 2020, 10:46 am

well done Grandad
it shows the worth of keeping a good rifle and putting a new tube on, the 22-250 is a good round :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jun 2020, 11:46 am

Yeah marksman I've found the 22-250 is a very versatile caliber and ideal for dogs and most stuff around that size using one weight projectile if you want more go to a 243 or 25-06 although there are more calibers out there but each to their own I suppose
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 10 Jun 2020, 5:00 pm

Hey Blr243, yeah mate, we got real useful rain a while back that brought on good feed. Dried out a bit since, but raining as I type and looks like more coming.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jun 2020, 5:16 pm

Thanks snag. That’s sounds like my people there were rescued. They did not have to sell cattle but come awfully close and spent a ton on feed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jun 2020, 7:37 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Yeah TT it used to have checkering on the forehand and back hand grip but I rubbed it off there was a lot of misses in the checkering pattern, ''like I said before'' sako's aren't like what they used to be in quality but they still shoot well ''AND cost plenty'' I don't like synthetic stocks I've got one on my 7mm and would change it straight away if I could but costs out weigh need .

I have a couple of beautiful timber stocks - it pisses me off every time I bump them, rub a tree, others handle them...that’s the only reason I prefer composite.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jun 2020, 9:32 pm

Yeah TT I know the feeling mate I've just finished this one and the other day working up loads I bumped the stock on the window of my car and now have a new mark on the fore end of the stock ''yeah not happy jan'' but it being a work rifle i'll get over it when the next one goes on
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jun 2020, 9:56 pm

How many hours do you reckon you put in ? Would you do it again ? I’ve got my uncles old sxs that’s best up after 50 years and his 60th is coming up so I have toyed with the idea...or getting someone...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jun 2020, 10:30 pm

About a full week like 7days but I suppose it would depend on the condition of the stock it could take longer, would I do it again, probably if I had the time , preparation is everything, having no oils soaked into the stock also helped, if you had that you'd have to remove as much as you could before starting with the final process, but all said and done it does lift the looks of a rifle, I put 6 or 7 coats on and give each coat 24hrs to dry.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2020, 10:40 am

Well done old Mate,,,,,
Have you got any "before" pics of the stock ??

By the way, I see your a man after my own heart when it comes to choice of scope.
Is yours one of the original Duralyts ??

I have four of em on the rifles that I use during the dark hours (so its extra quick and easy to swap the Pulsar from one to the other) dependent on
what caliber I need at the time.

I have found that the newer Duralyts aren't as good as the early ones,,,, but then again, any of them seem to perform far better when behind the Pulsar
than other brands of scope.
I only use Zeiss with the Pulsar because of that very reason.

I have found that one of my Swarovski's is the worst of all when coupled with the Pulsar,, yet love it for day time use.
Apparently the performance of the Pulsar varies according to the different lens treatment/coatings on the particular scope attached to it.
So far I haven't found anything better than the Zeiss Duralyt.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 12 Jun 2020, 11:07 am

Year DJ it is the Original old Zeiss probably 10-15 yr old it's one of the best I've ever used as far as low light days, my Swarovski on the 7mm is just as good, it is a Z3 and has increments etched on the lens, learn how to use it and it can be quick to use, no I haven't got any pic's of the old stock, I don't think , anyway i'll have a look and see, yes a pulsar is next on my list, will have to convince the minister for love and finance to agree but that should be ok, been a bit quiet on the dog front lately hey ,our crush starts fairly soon so it should pick up shortly
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2020, 2:54 pm

Look at it this way Mate,,,,,,,, when you get a Pusar, (If you get the clip on version) you won't have to get another scope, cos you've already
got the best one suited.
Remind the Minister that the forecast depression is coming,, and you'll need a thermal to put tucker on the table. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 13 Jun 2020, 8:15 pm

Yeah i'll do that DJ but she's a tough old coote :silent: :lol: but it might work :thumbsup: :)
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles