Somebody talk me out of this

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Somebody talk me out of this

Post by CrackThump » 15 Jun 2020, 5:33 pm

Harrynsw wrote:The problem we have as humans is we think physical possessions will make us happy/fill the hole with what's missing, and it does...temporarily.

from an existential point of view, this "posession" doesnt fill holes, it makes them.. Ergo, therefore and to-whit, all is balanced in the universe
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 15 Jun 2020, 7:48 pm

CrackThump wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:The problem we have as humans is we think physical possessions will make us happy/fill the hole with what's missing, and it does...temporarily.

from an existential point of view, this "posession" doesnt fill holes, it makes them.. Ergo, therefore and to-whit, all is balanced in the universe

Hilarious, must take my hat off to that one.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 15 Jun 2020, 8:31 pm

Wise comment.
I do just that but then spend many happy hours in the shed at the reloading bench, idle hands being the tools of the devil and all.
I try to produce durable stuff from my happiness purchases.
My late Dad instilled in us "Some people will buy poop on a stick", not sure I would hunt pig in the scrub with a single shot 45/70, septicaemia from being gored up the shin could easily turn a bloke into a monopod.
Absent the rifle having any use apart from as a toy I wonder why one would spend the $$$ ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 15 Jun 2020, 8:57 pm

Tiger650 wrote:

Absent the rifle having any use apart from as a toy I wonder why one would spend the $$$ ?

To fill the hole....temporarily....with poop on a stick
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm

Yep fair enough snag.
Apologies for that..

T'was only meant for theatrical purposes...i thought the preceding "analyses" pointed that out...obviously not...

I could be wrong, but seem to remember you did give hints as to your vintage some time back...

Enjoy the rifle...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 21 Jun 2020, 7:27 pm

For the record, I just got a Marlin 1895 in 45-70.

I put some mild PPU loads through it, I think they're quoted as 405gr projectile at 1300fps or so. They really weren't too bad too shoot and if you have a decent butt pad you'll be pretty happy. Bonus there is that they're the cheapest factory ammo, too.

Hope that helps mate.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by mickb » 21 Jun 2020, 9:46 pm

A reason not to buy it. Upcoming economic downturn, soon we wont be able to afford as many toys as we do now.
A reason to buy it. Upcoming economic downturn, better buy the toys now because they are going to get more expensive.

Ok I wasnt much help was I :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles