Somebody talk me out of this

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Somebody talk me out of this

Post by snag » 12 Jun 2020, 8:23 pm

Bergara 45-70.jpg
Bergara 45-70.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 5146 times

Bergara 45-70 break action.

HEAD SAYS: what do you want that for? You don't need it, will barely use it and you're in the process of thinning out your collection. Don't be a dill.

ARTHUR (the evil demon of arthritis) SAYS: I will punish you with excruciating pain every time you fire this. You will suffer.

HEART SAYS: Oh yes..... I must have it...... my entire existence depends upon it ......

Help!
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Somebody talk me out of this

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jun 2020, 8:31 pm

Sorry, can’t be done. Talk me out of it as well...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 12 Jun 2020, 8:32 pm

you want us to absolve you of your sinful thoughts, your lustful desires and talk you out ofyour weakness for a sexy A.F. bangstick.??

boy did YOU come to the wrong place hahahaha

enjoy your new toy ;)
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 12 Jun 2020, 8:36 pm

be fun with a muzzle brake on :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jun 2020, 8:44 pm

Field use? Game type? What else u already have ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2020, 10:08 pm

Gday Snag...

You stoopid old man...!!!...what the hell are you even asking for...???...
(The sensible outcome to your dilemma lies in how you feel towards my response...if you feel taken back, a little angry toward me & feel defensive emotions kicking in toward the images you have in your head of yourself firing the rifle, then you should buy it...
If however my aggressive blurt arises more feelings along the lines of--oh yea hell, what the hell am i thinking--and who are you to snap at me like that you little loud mouthed ass...then walk away..from the rifle. :lol: ...)

:)

My initial thoughts are a bit mixed...but i dont know the whole story of course...

Is it new & freely available--or a one-off used number in great nik...??...in other words, is this a hard rifle to come by...? (sorry for the stupid question--im just not sure...)

Ill assume affordability is no problem because you havent mentioned it...so if its a hard to come by rifle, just get it...
If its not, you have some time to think it over, & think about how you feel more...

At the end of the day in either circumstance, id rationalise it by asking myself if i would be willing to loose the amount of money on it, that market trends are likely to dictate when you sell it, & also take into account whether the satisfaction of occasional firing will out way the pain...

If the satisfaction will out way the pain (you come home & say--"gee my shoulder is killing me but its worth it cos that was a hoot..!!), as well as help mitigate any financial losses...you have a PTA to fill out...!!... :)

Did i talk you out of it...did I...did I...???
:drinks:

Edit...i passed up a brand new second hand sako once...only a couple of years ago...it was offered to me at the time for near enough to $1k less than new price...i let it go because money was tight--was doable but tight for a month or so...a used Tikka costs more these days...!!
How do you think i feel about that now...
We only live once... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jun 2020, 10:32 pm

Not sure on full bore ammo costs - but it’s time consuming casting projectiles...and then there’s the powder...lotsa powder...and new dies and...new straight wall accessories and...
Stix is right...if the boot can fit without hurting the wallet...pull it on :/)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 13 Jun 2020, 6:27 am

hey snag, i had the cva stainless scout in 45-70 . same rifle , sorta-kinda as bergara make cva's version . accurate, light, breaks down like a shotgun and a really good trigger . they have good recoil pads too. what's not to like ?

i shouldn't have got rid of it . :roll:

damn you snag, i'm gunna have to buy one now :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 13 Jun 2020, 7:15 am

Go for it mate! Load it up with some 400gn cast over a charge of TrailBoss. It'll be a pussycat to shoot.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Jun 2020, 8:44 am

The problem we have as humans is we think physical possessions will make us happy/fill the hole with what's missing, and it does...temporarily.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 9:09 am

Very true Harry The part of our brain relating to happiness is like a petrol tank in my Ute that always need refueling
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Jun 2020, 9:27 am

Blr243 wrote:Very true Harry The part of our brain relating to happiness is like a petrol tank in my Ute that always need refueling

For that reason Blr243 I bought a 4 gun safe, to physically limit how many I can own.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 10:30 am

Unfortunately my small safe became too small so I bought an 8 It’s the type of 8 that u can with a bit of care fit eight rifles into so if or should I say when my rem pump 308 turns up that’s it no more toys for a while .....congrats on your discipline Harry ....well done
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 13 Jun 2020, 11:35 am

snag wrote:
Bergara 45-70.jpg

Bergara 45-70 break action. <snip> Help!

Hey you know that the Ruger American comes in 450 Bushmaster? Not really in the same class as a Bergara but if you're looking at a big calibre round in a fairly small rifle it might be right up your alley.

It'll be a heap of fun to shoot and they tend to get good reviews so far as I have seen.

Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 12:19 pm

I have a ruger America 450 Bm Loaded up with 300 grainers its very close to 308 muzzle energy performance wise .... I have just fitted a new nv scopeto it. Hopefully tues night I will b amongst some action
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Col » 13 Jun 2020, 2:17 pm

Blr

Would love to hear report on how it goes, especially with the NV.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 2:29 pm

The fact that I have only ever shot one fox with this set up , and the fact that u have asked about it prompts me to make an effort with the 450 next week. ..I sincerely hope the pigs are cold hungry and hitting the crops hard
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 13 Jun 2020, 7:39 pm

The only thing I would say against it is 45-70 ammo is extremely expensive something like $50 a box of 20 for the cheapest stuff. If that isn't a problem for you then the way I look at it is my guns I will keep forever so a few thousand dollars for a life time of enjoyment is worth it.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Bill » 13 Jun 2020, 8:01 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Very true Harry The part of our brain relating to happiness is like a petrol tank in my Ute that always need refueling

For that reason Blr243 I bought a 4 gun safe, to physically limit how many I can own.

my 5 rifle gunsafe fits 13 when all the gunstocks are removed :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Jun 2020, 8:17 pm

Bill wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

my 5 rifle gunsafe fits 13 when all the gunstocks are removed :drinks:

:D I'd like to see that salad
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 Jun 2020, 10:58 pm

Harrynsw wrote:The problem we have as humans is we think physical possessions will make us happy/fill the hole with what's missing, and it does...temporarily.

This is true my friend. Shoot comp, and that void becomes filled, particularly if it’s a comp that requires a degree of physical exertion, very humbling indeed. Much like golf actually. I know I’m taking the moral high ground, but consumerism is kinda rotten. Meh, do what makes you happy though fellas - who am I to judge :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by FNQ » 14 Jun 2020, 9:56 am

DO IT....
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Jun 2020, 9:59 am

FNQ wrote:DO IT....

+1
yep just do it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 14 Jun 2020, 11:14 am

It is a scientifically proven fact that the correct amount of firearms to own is one more than the number you currently possess. On that basis you need to own that Bergara. It will be impossible for you to self actualise without it.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2020, 11:37 am

Is it 30 rifles or more that u have to turn one of your rooms into a miniature armoury ? If so there are probably a lot of people stopping at 29
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Jun 2020, 11:59 am

Its been a couple of days...well one-n-a-half...so where is he...?...Snag...?

Sitting back with a cuppa reading all the responses...?
Hunched over in a ball of indecision, dealing with great levels of procrastination...?
Out in the paddock shooting it...?
Or in the emergency room having a cortisone injection & some pain relief...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by linkoln » 14 Jun 2020, 7:17 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:It is a scientifically proven fact that the correct amount of firearms to own is one more than the number you currently possess.

We call that formula x+1 where x is the number of guns you currently own.
So the correct number of guns a person should own is x+1.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by snag » 14 Jun 2020, 8:39 pm

Where is he Stix? I'm here now, spent the weekend in the paddocks and off the grid. Thanks everybody for your advice and input - really enjoyed reading it all - this is why this forum is so good. Just gunna reply to a few of you:

TassieTiger - If I can't talk myself out of it, how can I influence you?

CrackThump - Yes... yes, I did come to the wrong place for advice.

Bill - Yeah...nah. Muzzle breaks defeat the purpose for me.

Blr243 - Field use - probably not. Game type - n/a. What else do I already have - way too many to list. A lifetime collection that covers everything from mice to water buffalo.

gunnie - That's the sort of info that really influences my decision..... Champion.

Harrynsw - I'm not sure what planet you are on, but I suspect it's in a galaxy far, far away from mine. Live well and prosper.

boingk - Hey thanks for that, it looks like a great thing but just doesn't have that break action, single shot appeal.

Lincoln - I could not agree with you more, when you enjoy using them the purchase price becomes less and less relevant over the years. Ammo cost is not a consideration for me, I handload for every firearm I own.

FNQ & marksman - Will you please stop reading my mind. I'm gunna have to make myself a tinfoil hat soon.

Bruiser64 - Were we brothers in a previous life?

Stix - I left you until last because you are, if you'll excuse the expression, a little bit special. "You stoopid old man ...!!!." you started your post with. I take umbrage at that - you don't know how old I am. Sure, I may predate television, still convert measurements into feet and inches and vividly remember the conversion from "pounds, shillings and pence" into this weird decimal currency but does that make me old? Okay, yes, I guess it does, but I don't consider myself "old". Just "well used, a good example for it's age, nicely patinaed". The "stoopid" bit I hear from my wife everyday so that's irrelevant. Anyway, as usual, really enjoyed your post. Keep playing the "devils advocate" mate and stirring things up.

So, the end of a long-winded post -

Am I going to buy a gun that I don't need, have no practical use for and will cause me enormous physical pain every time I do fire it?

(drum roll please......)

OF COURSE I AM !!! Life is short and getting shorter by the day. Don't die wondering or regretting.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 14 Jun 2020, 9:10 pm

:D :D
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Jun 2020, 3:34 am

Fukn great. Great for you snag.
Guess I’m putting in a pta as well this week then. Sheet.
“I’m too darn young, to be feeling this dam old” Garth Brooks.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles