Moly Bullets

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Moly Bullets

Post by JohnV » 06 Feb 2021, 9:49 am

straightshooter wrote:Moly coated bullets are now really passe.
They never delivered what they promised except in the imagination of their true believers.
The 'new kid on the block' is boron nitride coating which I expect will deliver much the same benefits as moly coating.

That is so totally wrong . Only the uninformed promised unreal expectations not based on science or 30 years of experience.
Last edited by JohnV on 06 Feb 2021, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Feb 2021, 9:59 am

Jarhead wrote:Thanks In2anity,

I have a bottle. I had a look. I am still in the same place scratching my head.

Lead is an inert metal. I get lead fouling out with elbow grease and a brass wire brush.

Copper is a reactive metal and Sweets or Hoppes can tackle it. Patches used with Sweets on copper come out blue- copper oxides - which tell you it is working and you know the copper is gone when there is no more blue on your patches.

Molybdenum disulfide is not reactive like copper. It is fairly inert like lead. Are there any similar "blue patch" like tell tales with moly? I.e. how do you know when you barrel is free of moly?

Regards......

You can clean till your arm falls off and you will not remove every bit of Moly powder from the bore . That is not a problem as once the bore is thoroughly cleaned of 99% of the Moly it's good to shoot uncoated bullets again but will take 20 or so moly bullets fired to coat again , enough to settle down .
Bore solvents like Sweets also dissolve some of your brass brush and brass jags so that can show a slight blue colour all the time . Looking down the bore before , during and after cleaning is a good indicator and learning curve of what copper is still showing . After a while you get to know how much cleaning you need each session to restore accuracy . A 100 % clean barrel is not really possible or even practical as it can take a fouling shot or two to settle best accuracy anyway .
From this you can see that for say a stalker that might fire one or two shots at a trophy and then go home , Moly is a waste of time . But for the shooter that fires long strings of up to hundreds of bullets it has advantages .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Feb 2021, 11:03 am

Bill wrote:used some Moly coated 100gr BT in a 250 Savage once, clocked 3340fps out of a 24 inch tubed L579. Had no trouble srcubbing it out, previously owner told me to never leave the stuff barrel in the barrel. I havent found the need to use it since :thumbsup:

Previous owner did not know anything about the use of Moly . It don't do anything if it's cleaned out often BUT you must oil the barrel each time before short term storage then dry patch it out before shooting . NEVER put a dry tight patch into a freshly shot molly coated barrel , it will grip like hell which is consistent with how Moly works . First cleaning patch should always be soaked in either oil or solvent especially if it's a tight patch .
Visually you think you got all the Moly out but that's not possible a very small amount stays in the pores and fire cracking of the steel but it does no harm to firing uncoated bullets again .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2021, 3:22 pm

You certainly sound like you are a fan of moly coated projectiles there John. Are you shooting them in competition? If so, how is that working for you? Are you winning? Are you seeing any increase in accuracy? Are your barrels keeping peak accuracy for any longer?
I don't see anyone using coated Bullets in competition let alone winning with them. That tells me all I need to know.

I also did not know that shooting moly coated Bullets at kangaroos was illegal. Are you able to post the legislation where it states that this is an offence?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 06 Feb 2021, 6:36 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You certainly sound like you are a fan of moly coated projectiles there John. Are you shooting them in competition? If so, how is that working for you? Are you winning? Are you seeing any increase in accuracy? Are your barrels keeping peak accuracy for any longer?
I don't see anyone using coated Bullets in competition let alone winning with them. That tells me all I need to know.

I also did not know that shooting moly coated Bullets at kangaroos was illegal. Are you able to post the legislation where it states that this is an offence?

I don't shoot competitions . I am an ex soldier and an experimenter from way back . Competition shooters tend to want to clean very often like say BR shooters so Moly under those circumstances is a waste of time and money . But a full bore shooter who may want to fire long strings of shots over several days and not have to scrub the bore endlessly , can get an advantage if the rules allowed it . Your concepts are wrong .
I fire about 300 shots from my 223 spotlighting rifle before I have to clean or I clean when convenient after a few days or more .
The big caveat is Don't put the gun away DRY , swab the bore with oil and patch it out dry the next time you need to shoot .
It has worked good for me over the years and my current 223 is at 7000 odd rounds now and is still very accurate .
Barrel manufacturers , gunsmiths etc. have done everything in their power to stamp out Moly coating , gee I wonder why ?
Most people try moly without any knowledge of how and when to use it and what is a good coating process to use . This invites poor performance . If you think that only competitions shooters know what they are talking about you are making a huge mistake . This is what precision hand made properly Moly coated hunting bullets look like that shoot like target bullets but don't have as high BC which makes FA difference at hunting ranges .
Note the solid coating that is just pure fine Moly and nothing else and does not come off on your hands , however the black colour does get darker with age as the high shine goes off the jacket underneath . Freshly coated on perfectly clean jackets are a bit lighter than this at first .
Coated bullet are only illegal on roos for professionals shooting for meat . It's in the roo shooting code of ethics some place but I can't remember exactly where .
See the other image of a batch of freshly made 243 projectiles and they are still very shiny and lighter in perceived colour but if you take the bullet out into sunlight for a good coating you should not see any jacket brassy colour through the Moly coating . If you can see jacket colour the coating is not so good . Slight colour variations in the 243 bullets in the SS tray is just a trick of the light in the workshop .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Feb 2021, 7:16 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I also did not know that shooting moly coated Bullets at kangaroos was illegal. Are you able to post the legislation where it states that this is an offence?

I'd imagine you'd find that information in John's book of ethical guidelines for kangaroo shooting in Australia. I guess its to help prevent humans from consuming Molybdenum Disulphide when they eat kangaroo heads?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 04 Jul 2021, 4:05 pm

From vague memory it says coated bullets not specifically moly coated . So that's any coated bullet . Only affects pro meat shooters .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles