17 Remington whats working well???

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

17 Remington whats working well???

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Jun 2020, 8:35 pm

ok so had been sitting on the fence for probably 18 months playing with the idea of getting a 17 a little bigger than the 17hmr. Had looked at the hornet wasnt a huge fan of the savage rifle. Found a Remington 700 in reasonably good nick for a reasonable price and decided to jump on it.

Are there any 17 remington shooters out there whats working well for you ie proj and powder combos. Im hopefully going to pick the rifle up by the weekend and hopefully pick up some projs and powder to start the process any help greatly appreciated.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: 17 Remington whats working well???

Post by southwest shooter » 23 Jun 2020, 8:45 pm

204 is the answer.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 24 Jun 2020, 7:54 am

The answer to what?
It's seems more a flash in the pan marketing exercise.
The 17 Rem is not a "do all" caliber but in it's niche of game size and range it can't be beaten.
Projectile choice seems to still boil down to just 25 grain. The light bullets at top velocities foul a lot in CrMo barrels and the heavier bullets don't stabilise in the common twist.
I use BM2 and haven't tried any others such as 2208.
With BM2 the difference between a safe reliable load and 'watch out' can be less than 1/2 a grain so watch out.
With load development don't be mesmerised by an occasional small group but prefer repeatable reliable accuracy and tailor your zero such that you never have to think about trajectory or wind within it's effective range.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 24 Jun 2020, 6:13 pm

Sounds good i have some bm2 to play with and hopefully pick up some 25g pills. Im not chasing crazy speeds too but interested in seeing ehat this calibre is capable of.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Jun 2020, 6:26 pm

sorry l cant help you out with info on this case as l dont have any experience with it
what l remember from guys who used them for fox skins was to slow them down a little to stop the backs being blown out
l dont see that as a problem now so just go for an accurate fast load, l like the hornady 25gr hp if you can find any now
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 26 Jun 2020, 12:52 am

Im about to sell my Tikka m55 17 Rem with a new SS barrel in it and a Geoff Slee thumbhole stock and rebarrel one of my Sako 85 204s to a 17 Rem.....
But plus one for the BM2 though....and iv been using 25 grn V-maxs with pretty good success....same with the 25 grn hollow points....
They are more of your small game varmint cal....cats, foxes etc...Lot of blokes dont like them...can be tempremental and strong wind effects them distance shooting....
But if you are aware of your limits with them....they are a great cal....Im a fan....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jun 2020, 9:49 am

straightshooter wrote:The answer to what?
The 17 Rem is not a "do all" caliber but in it's niche of game size and range it can't be beaten.
Projectile choice seems to still boil down to just 25 grain. The light bullets at top velocities foul a lot in CrMo barrels and the heavier bullets don't stabilise in the common twist.
With BM2 the difference between a safe reliable load and 'watch out' can be less than 1/2 a grain so watch out.
With load development don't be mesmerised by an occasional small group but prefer repeatable reliable accuracy and tailor your zero such that you never have to think about trajectory or wind within it's effective range.

Are there any advantages in using a 17 over the 204?

The 204 has grabbed a fair market share for a flash in the pan, are you expecting it to disappear any time soon?

The accuracy I experience from my 204 is reliable and repeatable. What are your experiences with the 204?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 26 Jun 2020, 8:49 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

The 204 has grabbed a fair market share for a flash in the pan, are you expecting it to disappear any time soon?

The accuracy I experience from my 204 is reliable and repeatable. What are your experiences with the 204?

Just want something different i love my 17hmr but just wanted a little more punch and a little more distance. I do intend to keep skins so whilst the 204 would do the job the 17 will do a lot less damage to pelts.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Jun 2020, 8:54 pm

Hornady 25gn Vmax are widely used, and can produce very small groups. Easily found here too. I have a container of W760 which meters well and with the Vmax shot a nice group when I tested it. But, W760 is not being sold any more, so when it runs out I will have to find a substitute. 2208 is widely used with very good results, as is Hogdon CFE223. The ball powder sure is nice to use in that small case though. My research found many long term users of the .17 Rem concluded that keeping your velocity to 4000fps helps with copper build up and barrel life. If you get on the Predator Masters forum in the Us, there is a wealth of info on the .17.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 9:15 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

Just want something different i love my 17hmr but just wanted a little more punch and a little more distance. I do intend to keep skins so whilst the 204 would do the job the 17 will do a lot less damage to pelts.

G'day Azza... :)
I had an interest in the 17 cal centrefires...but it was a vague interest only...

That interest increased dramatically when i discovered the potential of the 204... :clap:

So i still have a hankering for a 17, but now its only back to a vague one because i find the 204 just so versatile in what i can shoot with it....
Id be confident of taking deer at night at a good decent distance with it--down to close range around buildings etc safe bunny dispatching with reduced loads.

Ive found the nosler 32's enviro friendly bullets are fantastic as they dont have a solid core--rather i think they have like a copper-alloy ball powder filling, & it does brilliantly on skins provided you dont spine them... :thumbsup:
I even knocked a average sized cat last time out at only 90 yds & i had to skin it to see the entry... :thumbsup: (thats pretty close--a 40 gn'r would blow big holes at that range)

Anyway...i dont say that to detract from the 17 youve got--im really interested to see how you get along, & see the results you get on paper & in the field.

I just say that if you like the 17hmr & the 17 CF chamberings, that you will love the 204- :clap: -so you should get a 204 one day--trust us 204 users on this... :thumbsup:

Good luck & look forward to the results... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Hercl » 27 Jun 2020, 9:01 am

SCJ429 wrote:Are there any advantages in using a 17 over the 204?

A fraction less recoil?

Obviously that's not an issue with either of the cartridges you're talking about though.

So, not really?
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 27 Jun 2020, 3:45 pm

GQshayne wrote:Hornady 25gn Vmax are widely used, and can produce very small groups. Easily found here too. I have a container of W760 which meters well and with the Vmax shot a nice group when I tested it. But, W760 is not being sold any more, so when it runs out I will have to find a substitute. 2208 is widely used with very good results, as is Hogdon CFE223. The ball powder sure is nice to use in that small case though. My research found many long term users of the .17 Rem concluded that keeping your velocity to 4000fps helps with copper build up and barrel life. If you get on the Predator Masters forum in the Us, there is a wealth of info on the .17.

Thanks Gqshayne for the info thats bang on for what im after.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 28 Jun 2020, 10:36 am

SCJ429 wrote:

Of course there are! It would have died long ago if there weren't, bearing in mind the niche it occupies.

The 204 has grabbed a fair market share for a flash in the pan,
By what metric

are you expecting it to disappear any time soon?
No, but interest will peak, if it hasn't already, and the hype will gradually fade from users memories allowing more scrutiny of what may be considered it's shortcomings with a decline in interest. If after all the hype, it manages to become a niche caliber then it's going to be a very narrow niche.

The accuracy I experience from my 204 is reliable and repeatable.
Oh by that metric.

What are your experiences with the 204?
NONE.
Whatever the 17 is deficient for can be dealt with by my 223 or 243 or various 25's.
Although the 243 was the wonder caliber of the 70's and 80's it might soon be making room in my safe for something else due to it spending all it's time rarely touched at the very back .
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jun 2020, 6:14 pm

You are just going to have to accept that the 204 is a commercial success and has had wide acceptance among varmint shooters looking for a fast flat shooting case.

It is very accurate and most reloaders should be able to get reliable repeatable accuracy out of it using hunting bullets.

Is a 17 a giant leap forward in case design or ballistics over the 204? No, they are very similar and the choice come down to personal choice.

By what metric do you say that the 204 is the incorrect answer to someone looking for a varmint caliber? If you could bring yourself to try this flash in the pan, you may find that it is actually pretty good.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jun 2020, 8:51 pm

A few random thoughts as they occur to me. I only bought my Tikka .17Rem last year as a project, so I am a relative newcomer to the cartridge. I had intended to buy one at the right price, and convert it to .204. But once I had the .17 and started looking into the "obsolete" cartridge, I soon realised it had a lot to offer, and many dedicated fans. So I kept it as .17.

You will likely have a cleaning rod for it already, however for anyone looking for a .17 rod, you can get male and female rods. Hoppes is a male thread, which limits what brushes you can use, as most brushes have a male thread and need a female threaded rod. I bought a Gunslick rod for this reason.

Marksman clued me up to the fact that cotton buds when cut in half fit perfectly in the end of the cleaning rod, and are the perfect size for a .17 patch. Works great!! I bought some hopes patches to use, but they were a loose fit, so I ended up buying shotgun patches and cutting four .17 patches out of each one. Works out cheap and you can have the size you want.

Plenty of reloaders note that when working up loads, it is best to use less than half grain increases. Plenty of them use 0.3 grain variations. It seems to be an inherently accurate round too, with plenty of shooters getting very small groups.

Hodgdon CFE223 powder was developed specifically for the 223 case, so it appears to be the favourite powder amongst US based .17 shooters. The claims of reduced fouling are backed up by many users. I was intending to try some, but I could not get any locally, so went with W760 instead. Maybe next time I will look for the CFE again.

You can get 30gr projectiles, which are highly regarded, made by Berger and Kindler, but no doubt they would be hard to get here. The vast majority seem to use the 25gr Vmax, and note that they are more accurate than 20gr stuff. My test group before stripping the rifle for refurbishing, was with the Vmax 25gr and W760, and it put 3 holes into a group about the size of a 5c piece. And I am no target shooter let me tell you. Very impressive given the field condition it was shot in being less than ideal.

Once again you may have one already, but I found a dedicated small rifle loading block was much better than my normal sized one.

They clog up with tumbling media more so than larger cases. A bit of extra tapping is needed to get out the corn cob or whatever it is out. Maybe a different media would work better.

I read a bit of comment about how tricky it is to seat a projectile due to how small they are to hang on to. You can buy a thing called a windowed seating die that works better apparently. I had no trouble with my normal die though.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 29 Jun 2020, 7:28 am

SCJ429 wrote:You are just going to have to accept that the 204 is a commercial success and has had wide acceptance among varmint shooters looking for a fast flat shooting case.

It is very accurate and most reloaders should be able to get reliable repeatable accuracy out of it using hunting bullets.

Is a 17 a giant leap forward in case design or ballistics over the 204? No, they are very similar and the choice come down to personal choice.

By what metric do you say that the 204 is the incorrect answer to someone looking for a varmint caliber? If you could bring yourself to try this flash in the pan, you may find that it is actually pretty good.

I have no choice but to succumb to the power of your case for the 204 .
Your arguments are as compelling as they are brief. Namely that you own one, aaaand, it is accurate.
Like all firearms it makes holes in things at a distance so that need not enter into the conversation.
But I don't have the temerity to advise the original poster to now throw away his Rem 700 in 17Rem or foist it onto someone too imbecilic to ever contemplate owning a 204.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Banger » 22 Aug 2021, 10:42 pm

17 Remington
I know I’m a bit late joining , but please let me explain something
I’m an ex Pro Shooter from years ago ( so I’m an old bastad
I had a Tikka Mod 55 in 17 Rem fantastic , but being a fool I sold it when moving overseas to live now back in the land of Aus , I have recently purchased a Remington 700 BDL in 17 Remington the barrel is cactus , so I have the option of going anything up 223
But Sako Tikka and others have stopped manufacturing 204cal
My argument to you young blokes ( I’m 64 ) the 17 Remington people still want them you can buy brass and projectiles for Hornaby make 20grain and 25 grain in VMax
The 25 grain is the pick for the Remington rifle , my mate at a gun shop re-barrelled his 17 Remington to a 204 3 years ago now he regrets it , says he’s going back to 17 Remington because the 204 is too expensive to run dearer than the 17 Remington
Is you young blokes pick up an old Remington mod 700 BDL in 17 Remington ( im talking a 1970s mod ) you have got a good gun , a lot will need barrels replaced, but that’s not hard and generally under $1,200 then you have a brilliant gun , put a Ziess scope on it and you should be very happy
Banger
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Aug 2021, 6:50 pm

Banger wrote:17 Remington
I know I’m a bit late joining , but please let me explain something
I’m an ex Pro Shooter from years ago ( so I’m an old bastad
I had a Tikka Mod 55 in 17 Rem fantastic , but being a fool I sold it when moving overseas to live now back in the land of Aus , I have recently purchased a Remington 700 BDL in 17 Remington the barrel is cactus , so I have the option of going anything up 223
But Sako Tikka and others have stopped manufacturing 204cal
My argument to you young blokes ( I’m 64 ) the 17 Remington people still want them you can buy brass and projectiles for Hornaby make 20grain and 25 grain in VMax
The 25 grain is the pick for the Remington rifle , my mate at a gun shop re-barrelled his 17 Remington to a 204 3 years ago now he regrets it , says he’s going back to 17 Remington because the 204 is too expensive to run dearer than the 17 Remington
Is you young blokes pick up an old Remington mod 700 BDL in 17 Remington ( im talking a 1970s mod ) you have got a good gun , a lot will need barrels replaced, but that’s not hard and generally under $1,200 then you have a brilliant gun , put a Ziess scope on it and you should be very happy

Interesting i hadn't hear anything regarding the 204 being dropped by tikka and sako i can still see them as a option. (Perhaps till they sell out) great little round and as you said brass and bits are still easily obtainable. I haven't been able to take it out to see what she'll do compliments of covid but eager to see what she'll do.

No recoil and flat shooting no problem hitting targets at 300 even with a wind blowing. No intention to see or move away the 17 is here to stay in the safe and i won't be moving it on any time soon.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 23 Aug 2021, 6:59 pm

Must admit, I toyed with the idea of acquiring 17 Remington, but decided on the 17HMR. It was due to the amount of hunting I would do with a 17....not that much, but IO still like the round.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Aug 2021, 8:07 pm

Bugman wrote:Must admit, I toyed with the idea of acquiring 17 Remington, but decided on the 17HMR. It was due to the amount of hunting I would do with a 17....not that much, but IO still like the round.

17hmr out to about 150/200 17 remington 300 easily and with enough push to do the job. I couldn't part with my hmr though. The Remington is like it just more punch at those longer pieces.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Banger » 23 Aug 2021, 9:28 pm

G’day
Young fellows
As I mentioned Sako / Tikka have stopped manufacturing the 204
Yes you can still buy old stock at the moment but are getting harder to find
I have a 17 Remington as well as a 17 HMR
The 17 HMR is great fantastic rabbit/fox /CAT rifle out to about 150 metres, but sometimes you can surprise yourself, I have a fox problem where am killing my chooks
A month ago I grabbed the 17HMR went for a want , a fox that had been causing a lot of problems was in the neighbours property, so I took a rest with the Hornaby and took the shot
I heard the projectile hit home but wasn’t real sure , so being swamp country I waited until next morning, with a GPS walked and found the fox , shot between the eyes with the 17 HMR but what amazed me it was 295 metres
I would never have taken the shot except for the fact that this particular fox had killed 35 of my chooks over 4 occasions
That type of range I should have left to the 17REMINGTON but I had the hornaby in my hand
I’ll probably never pull of a shot like that with a HMR again, but if you are capable it’s capable
Banger
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bello » 24 Aug 2021, 5:46 am

Hello

A mate of mine had a 17 Remington. He loved it.
One day, one came my way, so I bought it at a great price. Bought some loaded ammo, brass projectiles, dies etc etc. Took it to the range and sighted it in at 20 meters. It key holed. Cut a long story short, the barrel was gone. Found another barrel for it, bought it to the gun smith, he said that barrel was shot out as well.

I ended up selling it (A guy wanted the action to built a project, I told him the barrel was shot out, he was ok with that) and getting a 204. :crazy:

My mate ended up selling his 17 Remington. He said it was great if you wanted to save the pelts, but wind or a blade of grass would knock the projectile off course to easily.

I hope your project goes better than mine.

Just my experience :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles