Straight pull left or right side?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Straight pull left or right side?

Post by Ronan » 08 Jul 2020, 11:52 am

Now I'm looking to buy a Warwick wfa1-l and have the option of a left side charging handle or right side. I have a impala plus shotgun with the handle on the right side. Now I'm right handed and saw the impala doing the right thing (pulling with trigger hand), however the Warwick default config is to have it on the left (pulling with the handguard hand). I've heard opinions of both sides, coming from lefties and righties. I feel that this gun having a pistol grip and that it is going to have a 14" barrel will really balance it out better for a left side handle, but I'm at a lack of experience. Does anyone have some ideas on what would be better to learn and/or what would give more control of the gun long term. Even information if you have experience with straight pulls or anything similar. Cheers
Ronan
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Straight pull left or right side?

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jul 2020, 2:09 pm

My straight Pull shotgun allows the user to fit handle left or right. I decided to fit it on the left. I’m right handed. I liked it enough on the left that I have not bothered to change it ....I can shoot it with my left hand always on the handle and I cycle like that never touching the Forend grip ..it’s a little bit retarted but faster to reload
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Medb » 09 Jul 2020, 4:32 pm

I've got a WFA1-L with the 14" barrel and I run it on the left side, I'm right handed. I purchased the right hand charging handle as well, and tried running it on both sides to see what works better for me. In terms of keeping the rifle on target for quick follow up shots, speed of which you can cycle it, and generally which is more comfortable and intuitive, running it on the left side was the clear winner for me. As you've said with it having the pistol grip it makes it a very nice platform to run it on the left hand side, I wouldn't run a straight pull on the left without a pistol grip. If you do want to run it on the right some sort of vertical or angled foregrip also works nicely to drive it back into your shoulder to keep it more stable when cycling it.

20200529_000024.jpg
20200529_000024.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 6396 times
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Jarhead » 09 Jul 2020, 5:08 pm

Hi Ronan,

Let me start off by saying I am very jealous! I want one of those and can't have it here in NSW. :problem: You can make them here......but not shoot them here..... :unknown:

I am familiar with your which side dilemma.

I am left handed. I shot right handed M16A2's for years in the USMC. When doing annual rifle qual rapid fire, I watched in envy the right handers change magazines with a simple extension of the forefinger to press the mag release, watched gravity pull the spent mag out, a small reach back to the magazine pouch with the right hand to grab the new mag and effortlessly slip it into the magwell and finger the bolt release- click!. All without ever taking the stock out of the shoulder or moving the body. So elegantly done and the natural point of aim maintained right through the movements.

I looked like something between a contortionist and a deer on ice skates doing the same. I had to twist rifle with the magwell pointing at the sky just to reach the mag release. Gravity didn't help me at all and it only got worse as I went on...…

I also have scars on my face from 7.62 rounds coming out of an M60E3. Don't ever shoot one of those left handed!

But I did find that shooting the M40A1 from a bipod was great as I could keep my left hand on the grip and cycle the action with my right hand. I found I could maintain NPA better than the right handers with this setup.

I was excited when I got out of the military and could buy left handed versions. I have a LH Tikka T3 and often think that for benchrest, I would prefer a right hand version.

You need to think about what you will be doing with it. If it is mainly F class or benchrest (shooting from a front rest, or bipod) get a left hand pull. If you are shooting offhand of big-bore- where you support the gun with your left hand, get it on the right.

Or go back to LithgowArms and ask them if you can have one on each side. The answer will probably be no, but maybe they have some development staff free who are looking for a special project...….. I have seen that setup before but can't recall what firearm it was on.....
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 09 Jul 2020, 7:09 pm

Jarhead wrote:Hi Ronan,

Let me start off by saying I am very jealous! I want one of those and can't have it here in NSW. :problem: You can make them here......but not shoot them here..... :unknown:

Damn it.... I saw the picture and thought hello next purchase....

Anyway, I had a feel of an Adler(B220 i think it was) the other day at my LGS. It had the handle on the left hand side (I am right handed). It felt very natural charging on the left as my right could hold it up and remain on target.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 09 Jul 2020, 8:39 pm

If you're right handed have the action left handed, if you're left handed have the action right handed. That simple
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 09 Jul 2020, 8:39 pm

If you're right handed have the action left handed, if you're left handed have the action right handed. That simple
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 09 Jul 2020, 10:49 pm

I’m right handed and my Warwick has the oem handle on the left and the iceng handle on the right. Don't think I've ever used the one on the left. Given you really need to let it go to cam the bolt, I don't find the left side practical.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jul 2020, 10:56 pm

One day somebody will produce a rifle with a cocking handle on both sides, then everybody will be either very content or very confused
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 10 Jul 2020, 12:54 am

Check out the Frankolin BT3000, also a straightpull 12G.

It comes with two handles, one for each side. You can configure it as you like.... basically go see a dealer and get them to fit both handles, see which feels better.

I'm right handed and like the charger on the left as otherwise you're constantly seating and unseating your trigger hand. I feel like that is an accidental discharge waiting to happen and doesn't allow for fast followup shots at all, at least for me anyway, as you have to put everything back into place to take the shot whereas with your off-hand you've still got your firing hand ready to go and you're only missing the forestock support.

Short version? Go left side if you're right handed.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by perentie » 10 Jul 2020, 7:17 am

I have the handle on the left on my C-More (Its held by a spring loaded pin and can be swapped over easily)
I am right handed and with it mounted with a sling and shot from the hip, the left hand stays on the handle for cycling. Very fast as its not spring return.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 10 Jul 2020, 10:50 am

You want to maintain a positive purchase on the rifle so you don't ever let your dominant hand go. Build your strength and train to shoot with it on the left side.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by MontyShooter » 10 Jul 2020, 12:54 pm

linkoln wrote:You want to maintain a positive purchase on the rifle so you don't ever let your dominant hand go. Build your strength and train to shoot with it on the left side.

Holding the rifle with your outstretched left arm maintains the positive purchase for me. I can then pull it into my shoulder. Trying to do this with a flimsy moving left side bolt doesn't make much sense.
Left side handle might help you mag dump quicker...maybe. But I'd much prefer to keep a light grip with my trigger hand. Each to their own.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jul 2020, 3:35 pm

I think it’s quite possible straight pull firearms were originally designed with the handle on the right / same as ejection port ....to be a faster type of bolt.....and for righthand people it’s always on the right ......and as soon as manufacturers started offering ambidextrous bolt handles,there is some part of our brains that remembers the good ol days , and perhaps without even realiseing it , maybe we are chasing the fantasy of having the pumps again, and a handle on the left is currently the closest thing we can have to that function, that we enjoyed many moons ago
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 10 Jul 2020, 4:47 pm

Pump rifles are legal though
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 26 Jul 2020, 11:33 am

I have a WFA1L that i run both off hand and from a vehicle with a rifle mounted Olight. I bought the right hand bolt and i've found it more comfortable with standing and prone shooting. However, i leave the left hand bolt on as well, as from a shooting platform (a home made buggy we call "The Thing") i find it faster to ring keeping my right hand on the trigger and my left on the left bolt handle. Its just whatever works for you and how you shoot.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 26 Jul 2020, 11:56 am

I am familiar with your which side dilemma.
16 " barrel ok IN Nsw ?
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 26 Jul 2020, 12:40 pm

Blr243 wrote:I think it’s quite possible straight pull firearms were originally designed with the handle on the right / same as ejection port ....to be a faster type of bolt.....and for righthand people it’s always on the right ......and as soon as manufacturers started offering ambidextrous bolt handles,there is some part of our brains that remembers the good ol days , and perhaps without even realiseing it , maybe we are chasing the fantasy of having the pumps again, and a handle on the left is currently the closest thing we can have to that function, that we enjoyed many moons ago

I think the majority being right at least stock is that most straight pulls are derived from a neutered semi auto guns. The only one here that i can think may not be a semi auto derivative might be the impala. But there is probably a semi version that its based off. And then manufacturers have caught the idea that the user may want to use either side with a straight pull, whereas bolt manipulation on a semi would be very infrequent in comparison so right side is good enough.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 28 Jul 2020, 1:26 am

Why cant you purchase one of these in NSW
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2