Any 22 hornet shooters?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Any 22 hornet shooters?

Post by mickb » 12 Jul 2020, 1:31 pm

Hoping to pick the brains of you guys on a few things. Loading down to 22WMR levels can be done I assume, but at 1875fps will any/all of the hornets bullets still be expanding at 22WMR ranges( 100-150)? Also is accuracy is temporamental as they say?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Any 22 hornet shooters?

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2020, 1:46 pm

mickb wrote:Hoping to pick the brains of you guys on a few things. Loading down to 22WMR levels can be done I assume, but at 1875fps will any/all of the hornets bullets still be expanding at 22WMR ranges( 100-150)? Also is accuracy is temporamental as they say?

As long as you use varminting bullets, and keep the range reasonable so the bullet is still within its design velocity at the target. VMax for example requires 1600fps from memory.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Jul 2020, 4:41 pm

40 gn vmax is a excellent bullet , but too long for most magazines . single loaded but it's very accurate . the 35 vmax is very accurate in some rifles , but velocity might be higher than you want due to the light weight . sierra make hornet specific bullets with thinner copper jacketing . the 40gn soft points worked great for me . be very carefull though, sierra make them in .224, AND .223 for older hornet rifles . use the .224 unless your rifle was made in the 1930's .any of these projectiles should work okay at reduced speed . pistol primers and a light crimp help with accuracy. i tried trail boss in the hornet and got velocity's around 1500-1600 fps, but due to the small case and the very light nature of trail boss i found it hard to get reliable and consistant case fill to get decent groups . i hope this helps :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by safeshot » 25 Jul 2020, 5:55 pm

I used win .22 mag proj and they were boringly consistent/ accurate.
Load was Fed SR Primer. Win brass, ADI powder being 2205 and the Win .22mag proj. I pereferred the Sierra Hornet proj but they were a lot more expensive than the win.
I never did any down loading.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 26 Jul 2020, 3:44 pm

This made me look in my lockup cupboard and I found some projectiles and new brass. Don't shoot the old 22 hornet anymore. When i did I really liked it but for some reason I sold the rifle to someone who was looking for same. Will have to dispose of cases etc, I guess cause I won't buy another one.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Ausmade » 26 Jul 2020, 6:35 pm

mickb wrote:Hoping to pick the brains of you guys on a few things. Loading down to 22WMR levels can be done I assume, but at 1875fps will any/all of the hornets bullets still be expanding at 22WMR ranges( 100-150)? Also is accuracy is temporamental as they say?

Try Hornady .224 45 gr HP BEE as they go well in my Sportco. I use AR2205 and get a bit over an inch at 100 metres however I have a fair build up of crud in my barrel. Devastating on rabbits, turns their insides to mush with no exit wound generally.

Aus
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles