What are the go to affordable calibres for Australia?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What are the go to affordable calibres for Australia?

Post by Bremen » 20 Jul 2020, 7:56 pm

Hi
My go to cartridges have always been .22lr, 223, 308 and they seem to cover most of the game I've ever encountered. They also, to my knowledge, were the cheapest to feed for there given purposes. Possibly due to popularity.
Are there more affordable chamberings out there that achieve the same or better ballistics?
Bremen
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: What are the go to affordable calibres for Australia?

Post by snag » 20 Jul 2020, 8:11 pm

Probably the 243 would be next in cheap ammo, but if you've got a 223 and a 308, you gotta think what it would do that your other guns don't?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 20 Jul 2020, 8:11 pm

Its all supply and demand. With the rising popularity of rounds like 6.5 Creedmoor, it will eventually see prices lower as it becomes the norm like 308 or 223. Which from my recent poking around it seems to be competitively priced.

You can also pass comparison to whats common in military and LE use. 223, 308 and 9mm are fairly affordable and available in fairly bulk quantities from factory. Id attribute this to them being semi compatible with manufacturing for large quantities for government use, and on lines that probably never stop churning them out. Whereas something that was once common say 222 is now more niche. Less new guns chambered in it, and manufacturers probably aren't churning it out 24/7.

Most calibers i see common rifles chambered in at the moment are military round centered. 300 BLK, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 223, 308 all military aimed cartridges that have entered the sporting shooting world.

The 303 was the staple, then came the 308. And one might say the 6.5 is its future.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jul 2020, 8:37 pm

Bremen wrote:Hi
My go to cartridges have always been .22lr, 223, 308 and they seem to cover most of the game I've ever encountered. They also, to my knowledge, were the cheapest to feed for there given purposes. Possibly due to popularity.
Are there more affordable chamberings out there that achieve the same or better ballistics?

9mm is probably the cheapest factory ammo overall, but not really suitable for hunting.
If you aren't loading your own ammo I'd stick with those three.
If you load your own ammo you can shoot any cartridge you like for around the same ballpark. Bigger rounds use more powder and have heavier bullets (copper and lead are expensive) so they do cost more to shoot, but you tend to shoot less of them. Most other stuff you can shoot for about the same as good .22LR ammo if you want to.

I got 5000 62gn bullets in the mail on Friday for $569 - 21kg of bullets. Postage was $35 but it also included 500 pieces of .303 brass and 100 9mm cases.
At twelve-cents each that's some pretty cheap shooting in any of the .22-caliber centrefires, just add a primer and some powder..
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 20 Jul 2020, 8:39 pm

Hard to go past the well mannered 222 brass isn't all that much more expensive than 223 a little less powder and just a great all round calibre.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 20 Jul 2020, 8:40 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Its all supply and demand. <snip> The 303 was the staple, then came the 308. And one might say the 6.5 is its future.

Pretty much this. I don't see the 308 going anywhere right now but the wave of popularity for 6.5 is pretty decent.

22LR, 223, 308, 30-30, 9x19mm would be the go to rounds at the moment.

Niche things like the 300 Whisper / AAC Blackout always pique my interest. Thats a round developed for special forces who have a need to put many subsonic rounds into a target, possibly through light armor or tactical cover (eg walls/doors/furniture), and retain decent muzzle energy whilst utilizing existing weapons platforms.

That use case makes sense - neck a 5.56mm NATO into a 30-cal round and call it a day. Swap out the barrel of your M4 and you're in business.

What doesn't make sense with stuff like that is using it in a totally opposed use case - civilian bolt action rifles, for example.

Anywho, rant over. Yes, the affordable cartridges will always be the mid-ground bulk produced stuff.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 20 Jul 2020, 8:48 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Hard to go past the well mannered 222 brass isn't all that much more expensive than 223 a little less powder and just a great all round calibre.

+1 if ya reload , why wouldn't ya have a 222 ? :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by FNQ » 20 Jul 2020, 9:22 pm

I'd be willing to bet that most country towns stock;

.22, .22WMR, .223, .308, 12GA & 9mm (probably also .177 pellets)

Sure good chance of getting .243, 30/30, .303, 30-06 & .410 but you would pay a lot more.

6.5 Creedmoore & .300 Blackout I just don't think has made a mark in the rural community. Not saying they aren't a good calibre just not mainstream..
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Jul 2020, 10:23 pm

I saw a specials bin on counter of local other day - $12 for 20 x 300 blackout...thought that seemed cheap..? I don’t shoot it so paid no Attention to brand.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Flyer » 20 Jul 2020, 11:59 pm

Officially, I think 243 is behind 223 and 308 in terms of centrefire popularity in Australia. When I lived in the bush, most places stocked it, and it was even the calibre of choice for the indigenous communities who used 243s to shoot everything from bush turkeys to camels.

When I was l looking for a new rifle a couple of years back for metallic silhouette (coz the 243 wasn't cutting it on the rams out to 500m), I short-listed 7-08, 6.5 x 55 and 6.5 Creedmoor. So every gunshop I went into I would ask: "What have you go in the following calibres?"

It soon became clear there was a lot more 6.5CM factory ammo and brass out there than 6.5 Swede or even 7-08. Some of the 6.5CM factory stuff was cheap, too, like Federal 140gr ammo for $29 a box of 20. Since then, 6.5CM offerings have only increased.

Now that SOCOM is using 6.5CM – making it a defacto Military round – I see no reason why its popularity won't continue.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by mickb » 21 Jul 2020, 2:25 am

If you reload the pistol calibre lever actions can have some of the best economy. The 357 can be loaded to more than 223, it obviously doesnt have the legs, but hits medium game harder at medium range and does it with less powder and several times better barrel life...

You can also drop down to a load near the speed of sound to use it like an oversized 22LR. 3-5 grain loads of fast burning powders means 1500-2000 reloads per can of powder, brass life is into the dozens at these low pressures, barrel life will be into 6 figures, no lube needed to resize its cylindrical cases and cheap cast bullets. For a few hundred bucks you can harvest game at close range for decades.

This is why the yanks are so big on it for their End of the world or s**t hit the fan scenarios.It handles game and self defence with stout loads, and with low pressure loads it backs up 22LR as the gun you never have to run out of ammo for.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by solarpak » 21 Jul 2020, 9:01 pm

You answered your question Bremen...........

the only addition was the old surplus 7.62x39 round - which came in crates of 1200 rounds for around $140 ........
With the popularity of this round in the modern bolt gun it once again in the mix.

I have a Howa Mini in this round and the only factory ammo i could find was the PPU stuff. But i managed to stumble upon a crate (1200 rounds) of the Norinco FMJ steel core gear for $450.
Found some Hornady Z max 123 gr projectiles on clearance for $160 per 500 as well as some sierra 123 gr SP's ......i provided the norinco rounds, a mate supplied the z max and sierra projies and pulled the FMJ steel core crap and reseated the new projies.
They shoot ok - at 100 m three-shot groups between 0.5MOA - 2 MOA (yes that variable !!!) but for culling goats all that we really need and do the job nicely.

The cases are left where they fall to rust away.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by targetshooter900 » 21 Jul 2020, 9:03 pm

in order: 22LR, 9mm, .223, .243, .308
Check out PPU, they're usually the cheapest ammo and aren't bad
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 21 Jul 2020, 10:08 pm

223 has a lot going for it, just sayin.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 22 Jul 2020, 2:03 am

.22Lr - no brainer, .223Rem - I have one because it's brilliant, 12G shotgun - it's the standard. As for a heavier rifle, I have a .270W just because I liked all the stories growing up in the 60's and 70's. There may be more affordable calibres out there but I like that one and I can't see a reason to change. I reload everything I can - even 12 G because I have the gear on my bench. It's probably not economically sensible but I do it because I can.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2020, 4:50 am

in2anity wrote:223 has a lot going for it, just sayin.

For most people, with shot placement, it’s probably the most versatile, affordable round in this country. I recently bought a weatherby vanguard in 223 , cause it’s accurate and cheap to run , and is a well finished rifle. I reload, so I don’t worry about ammo availability too much . My 6.5x55 does very well as a all round hunting rifle, but if I had to buy ammo naturally 308 is the most widely available. But I would prefer 270 Winchester as a do-all caliber as a choice of store bought ammo .You can still get 222 in regional areas as a lot of old rifles are still out there. I find in reloading I can get better accuracy out to 200 with the one 222 I own than the several 223 I’ve owned. And I’m talking sporters, not bull barreled “tac” rifles. At least this has been my experience
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by mickb » 22 Jul 2020, 1:11 pm

I recerntly enquired of some QLD gunstores what their fastest movers were and it was 22LR, 223, 308, 30-30. Surprisingly the 303 got a decent showing as well.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2020, 3:30 pm

mickb wrote:I recerntly enquired of some QLD gunstores what their fastest movers were and it was 22LR, 223, 308, 30-30. Surprisingly the 303 got a decent showing as well.

last time i was in tenterfield (about a year ago ) , there's a small gunshop in the main street . from memory , the ammo he had was 22lr, 222,223, 22-250 , 243 , 30-30 and i was suprised to see 303, 6.5x55 and 7x57 mauser . i'm thinking some regional areas have quirks with ammo supply. 30-06 , 300 mag and 270 win in sambar country , 22-250 and such in flat cropping country and 30-06 , 308 and 45-70 in the north :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 23 Jul 2020, 8:01 am

These sorts of questions attract a lot of prattle.
So your simple question deserves a simple and comprehensive answer which is:
No
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Jul 2020, 9:18 am

straightshooter wrote:

These sorts of questions attract a lot of prattle.
So your simple question deserves a simple and comprehensive answer which is:
No

It’s not as much fun though, debating and discussing the topic :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bremen » 23 Jul 2020, 10:42 am

Thanks everyone.
I was tinkering with the idea of buying a couple of used but newish rifles and getting rid of my tired gear. It seems the .223 is still a great choice but I'm pretty certain I would go 6.5CM instead of .308.
I used the 6.5 with a few benchrest guys a long time ago and it's now becoming very popular as indicated. Plus it could double as a club gun. It might even even replace the .308 in price considering how popular it's become with the AR guys in the states.
My LGS is in love with WSSM but I don't see the point.
I'm seeing rifles popping up chambered in 300BO; I can understand the interest from the AR guys in the states but what role, if any, does it fit here?
Bremen
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 23 Jul 2020, 11:26 am

Bremen wrote:I'm seeing rifles popping up chambered in 300BO; I can understand the interest from the AR guys in the states but what role, if any, does it fit here?

From Oz perspective, it's pretty much a handloader's cartridge. Here's some perks:

1. Reduced powder consumption (~18gr / full case)
2. Lighter, cheaper 30-cal pills, for example a budget 125gr Speer/Sierra/Hornady
3. Negligable recoil; one can easily see the fall of their shot, slower shooter fatigue.
4. Trim away the split neck, and recycle your old 223 brass into 300bo!
5. Excellent brass life; hardly a shoulder on it.
6. Cartridge is physically small, less to carry out bush
7. Better stopping powder on medium sized game compared with 223.
8. The whole "heavy subsonic" concept; which BTW I don't subscribe to. For all but "fun plinking" gimme supers any day over subs.

For the factory shooter, meh. I agree with your observation. Just shoot cheap 7.62x39 factory ammo. In fact, the 7.62x39 is in many ways superior, except projectile choice, .311 is more limited compared with .308 (if you intend on rolling your own).

7.62x39 vs 300bo; meh, "tom-aye-toe","tom-a-toe”. I have the bo and I make it work. If I had the rusky, I'd make that work too. Take your pick. Both moderately reliable to 300m for field positional.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 23 Jul 2020, 4:26 pm

Bremen wrote:Thanks everyone.
I was tinkering with the idea of buying a couple of used but newish rifles and getting rid of my tired gear. It seems the .223 is still a great choice but I'm pretty certain I would go 6.5CM instead of .308.
I used the 6.5 with a few benchrest guys a long time ago and it's now becoming very popular as indicated. Plus it could double as a club gun. It might even even replace the .308 in price considering how popular it's become with the AR guys in the states.
My LGS is in love with WSSM but I don't see the point.
I'm seeing rifles popping up chambered in 300BO; I can understand the interest from the AR guys in the states but what role, if any, does it fit here?

My "manbun" 6.5CM is probably the most accurate (consistent) rifle I have ever owned. And it is a stock Sako A7 Roughtec Pro with a sporter barrel. The alloy bedding block system obviously works as advertised, and Sako barrels are renowned for their factory finish, but the 6.5CM is an inherently accurate cartridge to begin with, wth tighter SAAMI tolerances than other cartridges and better ballistics and more energy than a 308 past 400m. Recoil is closer to 243 than 308, so there is alot to like about the cartridge, especially the choice of large rifle primer and small rifle primer brass. You can also buy very good match-grade factory ammo for it.

JimTom has the same rifle and calibre as I have, and I know he's very happy with his, too. Anyone who makes fun of my "manbun" I just let them shoot it and they quickly change their mind about the calibre.

Four shots at 100m. Each square is half an inch
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG (52.74 KiB) Viewed 14814 times

Six shots at 100m
IMG_2330.JPG
IMG_2330.JPG (58.72 KiB) Viewed 14814 times

IMG_2320.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG (325.57 KiB) Viewed 14814 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2020, 8:31 pm

22LR, .223, .243, .308 12g
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Jul 2020, 9:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:22LR, .223, .243, .308 12g

in the context of the OP's original question , your post sums it up OB :thumbsup:

i find shop bought ammo convenient , but boring . i've gotten lazy lately , which is one of the reasons i bought myself a weatherby vangaurd in 223 . i just buy the OSA 55 gn GK blister packs from my local GS . $73 for 50 rounds . reloading for it does give me tighter groups, but the OSA load shoots at least , but usually under MOA . buying ammo frees up my time a bit, and lets me concentrate on the three other calibers i'm loading for ATM

i think realistically , with what i know now , my caliber line up would be 22lr , 223 , 6.5 CM . that's it . with shot placement the creed would do it all on medium game .i must admit , i haven't paid too much attention to the "man bun" :P , as i already have a swede . creedmore is going to get cheaper probably , as according to wikapedia the creed is being adopted by US military for it's special forces and the 308 is being fazed out in the minimi sqaud support light machine gun for the creed . if that's true and the creed is standardised as a military round it may put preasure on the 308 in popularity as it gets cheaper and easier to obtain . but hell will freeze over before i part with my CRF 6.5x55 winchester 70 :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 23 Jul 2020, 11:15 pm

bigrich wrote:i think realistically , with what i know now , my caliber line up would be 22lr , 223 , 6.5 CM . that's it .

Yep, I reached the same conlcusion. Throw in a lever gun for fun and a nice little CZ453 varmint in 17hmr for bunnies, and that's my exact lineup.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 24 Jul 2020, 7:31 am

Have to agree with you there Flyer. If I had to narrow mine down the Sako A7 in 6.5 Brittany would be the first one I’d keep.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Jul 2020, 10:32 am

As I reload , if I had to go to a bare minimum, my list would be 22 lr, 222 , 6.5x55
As a option I’m thinking 17hmr instead of the 22 if not a lot of plinking is going on . It’s not particularly loud, but has good reach and accuracy
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2020, 1:08 pm

I was asked recently what my favorite centrefire cartridge is.
As I don't buy centrefire ammo, I tend to think of all centrefire ammo as a single entity, I just modify it to suit whatever I'm wanting to do at the time - choose the case, bullet and powder, assemble it and go shoot it. It helps of course to have a fairly large range of firearms to shoot them in.

It really matters not a jot to me how common a cartridge is in the market as I'm not a consumer of that market. The only ammo I buy is rimfire and shot shell, and I'm starting to delve deeper into shot shell reloading as well, normally I just buy bulk loads and swap out the payload for slug or buck as required.

As I also like to go shooting whenever I want, I order bulk components regularly, not because I need them now, but because when I do decide I want to try something I already have it on hand. If I were buying centrefire ammo, I would do the same as I do with rimfire ammo, order it in bulk and keep a decent stock on hand. And because I'm ordering what I want, I don't care whether any shops keep it on the shelf.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jul 2020, 2:15 pm

Personally, I’d keep it simple...
.22, .17hmr, 222, 223, 243, 6.5 (add in variant) 280, 300bo, 7mm, 308, 30-06, 300win, 300rum, 338 varying, 12g(varying), 45/70 and / or 30/30 and maybe giggles a 500 nitro.
Oh - and a air rifle.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles