SMLE MkIII* Mount

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

SMLE MkIII* Mount

Post by Keystroke » 26 Jul 2020, 11:08 pm

Hi, I recently managed to pick up my grandfathers SMLE MkIII* after getting my firearms license and, while it's dirty, it is in really good condition. Are there any non-destructive ways to mount a scope or picatinny rail on it? I'm slightly short-sighted in my right eye which makes the iron sights hard to use and would prefer not to shoot left-handed. The only mounts for the Mk III I've seen online required drilling a hole in the receiver or taking a dremel to the forestock, and I've only seen a non-destructive mount for the No. 4 and 5.

This possible to buy or even make, or do I just have to suck it up and deal with it?

Thanks!
Keystroke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: SMLE MkIII* Mount

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Jul 2020, 1:14 am

G'day Keystroke,
Yes, it is possible to mount a scope to a SMLE without ruining the originality. Mounts can be found at Lynx Optics, Arctic Fox Optics and RPG Firearms. I have also seen a scout scope mounted to the original rear sight base that didn't need drilling but I don't know where he got the mount, perhaps try Addley Precision in Canada for that, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 27 Jul 2020, 9:56 am

Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Keystroke » 27 Jul 2020, 10:39 pm

Thanks for the replies, none of these mounts showed up for me in just an online search for "MkIII SMLE Mount". Which one would you recommend overall? I don't know much about mounting equipment, would the fewer notches on the RPG and Arctic Fox affect what can be mounted to them? Is there anything else to take into consideration when buying a mount other than the rail width?
Keystroke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles