Break-action cartridge issues

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Break-action cartridge issues

Post by lister50 » 27 Jul 2020, 6:23 pm

Hi everyone,
Freshly back into shooting after a many-decade hiatus, and recently picked up a NEF Handi-rifle in .308 as my third rifle. It's the first break-action I've ever had, and I was trying out some different ammo, when I encountered an issue.

I was shooting OSA and Winchester, and found that the Winchester cases were not ejecting after firing, where the OSA was fine. I tried re-inserting the spent cartridges, and found the Winchesters were really tight, where the OSA was still a good fit.

I weighed the empty cases and noted that the Winchester brass was 10% lighter than the OSA. I did run a very accurate vernier caliper over the both but couldn't pick any
real difference in diameter.

I'm wondering if the lighter brass might have expanded more, causing the case to be difficult to extract, where the OSA retained a better shape.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar or have any ideas they might be able to share.

I have checked that the ejector and shelf are clean and dry, and a small tap with a cleaning rod ejected the Winchester cases cleanly. The OSA cases all ejected a good three or four metres away. So I think the ejector is fine and the action locks up really well.

Very much appreciated.

Cheers.
lister50
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Break-action cartridge issues

Post by marksman » 28 Jul 2020, 4:09 pm

l dont have any real answers for you but the cases should really be shooting at a very similar PSI so l do not know :unknown:
as you said the win cases are much thinner than the OSA but l doubt that would be the cause
when l see this type of thing happening l usually look at polishing the chamber
maybe just use the OSA and things will be good :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by lister50 » 29 Jul 2020, 4:49 am

Thanks Marksman. Would polishing the barrel be a gunsmith job? Wondering whether it might also need a really good clean as well.

Cheers
lister50
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2020, 8:39 am

a gunsmith can do it but you can also

a 308 nylon cleaning brush wrapped with large patch smeared with autosol and spin it in the chamber on a cleaning rod
you can use a drill just be careful and take your time
its better not to over do it and have is to shiny :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by lister50 » 29 Jul 2020, 9:28 am

I do have a dremel :D

Would a very low speed setting, and the bore brush/patch combo do the trick?

I take it you were thinking the whole barrel length? Or is it just the breach end?

Thanks again.
lister50
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2020, 5:45 pm

no
only the chamber where the case sits, do not do this in a drill or dremel in the throat or bore
it can ruin your barrel :wtf:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by lister50 » 29 Jul 2020, 6:00 pm

That makes perfect sense thankyou :thumbsup:

Will give it a look and see what I can work out and let you know if works.
lister50
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by lister50 » 30 Jul 2020, 4:23 pm

Well, I tracked down a nylon bore brush, some extra large patches, some Autosol and had at it this afternoon. I went very slowly, and a whole lot of crud came out on the patches. Everything looks cleaner now and it is cleanly ejecting all but one of the spent cases. I'll give it a shoot over the weekend and see if it has improved things at all. I must admit I didn't go hard and I didn't polish it for very long, as I wasn't confident in doing more than that, but hopefully a polish, a good clean and lubricating everything afterwards will help :D
lister50
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Jul 2020, 5:41 pm

keep us informed lister
when the chamber is cut it will usually get a polish but sometimes it wont because of time and money ect...
l did this with a 223 handi rifle and it sorted it out
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jul 2020, 7:01 pm

lister50 wrote:Well, I tracked down a nylon bore brush, some extra large patches, some Autosol and had at it this afternoon. I went very slowly, and a whole lot of crud came out on the patches. Everything looks cleaner now and it is cleanly ejecting all but one of the spent cases. I'll give it a shoot over the weekend and see if it has improved things at all. I must admit I didn't go hard and I didn't polish it for very long, as I wasn't confident in doing more than that, but hopefully a polish, a good clean and lubricating everything afterwards will help :D

I’m sure your aware, it’s much easier to revisit the process and polish more material out than put it back in lol.
Not long ago I did a similar - cautious, toe dip into the world of autosol...I too probably went a bit easy but you can tell if things are getting a % better...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles