Can someone give me an idea of what this finish might be?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Can someone give me an idea of what this finish might be?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 30 Jul 2020, 8:02 pm

Hi guys, I've bought a couple of old Winchesters from a bloke, and he has offered me a 3rd. Not usually something I would buy, but he has caught my interest with this one

So it is an old 1892 half mag carbine that has had a 218bee barrel put on it. I asked if it was nickel finish and he just said not sure. This is the only photo I currently have, obviously looks too good to be original nickel finish on the action and mag tube.

What would this finish be? Can you replate an action with nickel?
Attachments
Resized_20200730_093701.jpeg
Resized_20200730_093701.jpeg (188.29 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Can someone give me an idea of what this finish might be

Post by No1_49er » 30 Jul 2020, 9:32 pm

I'm not going to say, outright, what you might have, But.
Some time ago, and after seeing on-line pics and description, I purchased what appeared to be a lovely old (circa 1908) Winchester Low Wall in 22LR. What I received appeared, somewhat like yours, to be "in the white".
After disassembling for a closer inspection and to understand why, I discovered that somebody with too much time on their hands had polished every last vestage of bluing off every surface that they could get a buffing wheel to make contact with. Yes, it was "in the white", but not in the true sense.
Had to get the barrel sleeved because the rifling was almost non-existent, and turned it into a nice shooter.
My suggestion for you: take it apart and have a very close look at all surfaces, especially what's "hiding" under the stock.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jul 2020, 9:35 pm

Probably wrong but It doesn’t seem to have the lustre of nickel - it looks a bit like highly polished steel - like the type of polishing thst can only be achieved with bench wheels, wax, a lot of hours and such.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cleger » 30 Jul 2020, 10:44 pm

So hard to say, but I'd venture that it's plated.

First, the barrel band looks like it's worn-through in a couple of spots, and whiter there, as steel would be, versus nickel. It also appears tarnished/stained, as does the receiver, back in the vicinity of the saddle ring. I think that if it were plain steel it would look worse, unless polished, in which case I'd expect to see more uniform color.

I'm as likely wrong as not!
Attachments
band.png
band.png (60.08 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by womble » 31 Jul 2020, 3:42 am

Nickel plated.
Matt finish in nickel is not unusual with guns, reduces glare.
I’m no expert but i would think given the manufacture date ,probably a popular option for those with a bit more gold to spend, better than bluing.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 31 Jul 2020, 6:21 am

Thanks guys, I haven't bought this one from him yet, and it's to far away to see it in person.

The seller got back to me last night and said- I don't know about nickel it doesn't look like it, I think it is just bare rubbed steel.

He's an older gent who bought it the way it is. Can't say I've seen anything like that in person.
He is asking $850 for the carbine, a die set and 50 new cases

What did you with you low wall No1_49er? Did you blue it or keep it as is?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 31 Jul 2020, 7:58 am

No point in re-bluing, 'cos I've already got a new Miroku made version with half octagon to round barrel, so kept the oldie "in the white".
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles