F-Class Shooting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: F-Class Shooting

Post by simmo » 05 Aug 2020, 8:32 am

SCJ429 wrote:What do top notch optics look like Simmo?

I have a Kahles k1050. An amazing bit of glass. Would love another Kahles on another rifle but other commitments in play.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 05 Aug 2020, 8:36 am

My wife and I both use Nightforce optics on her 6BR and my 6.5/284
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Aug 2020, 9:10 am

Starting to see a few Khales competition optics on the line. I considered the Khales 50x myself, beautifully put together scope.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 05 Aug 2020, 1:07 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Starting to see a few Khales competition optics on the line. I considered the Khales 50x myself, beautifully put together scope.

I adore it. The detail, clarity and fidelity of the object in focus (usually a target face) is exceptional. I enjoy looking past our target mound into the hill line beyond (1100-1200m) and the ability to spot things still amazes me. Absolutely worth the money.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 05 Aug 2020, 5:07 pm

This one should probably go in the "regrets" thread (wish I'd bought a slightly lighter rifle), but I bought my Sako 85 Varmint in 223 initialy to compete in F-Class Standard, Open and (later) Hunter class thinking one rilfe would open up all disciplines. With a Swarovski Z5 5-25 scope it shot well, but I ended up gravitating back towards Field Rifle and other offhand events where the heavier rig can be a bit of a disadvantage as each event wears on.

The point being, if you get yourself a decent varmint barrel 223 or 308 it gives you greater opportunity to shoot and hone your skills until such time as you think you might want to build a custom rifle in whatever calibre you prefer. It can also double as a hunting rifle – even offhand target rifle – so you'll get good use out of it. 223 and 308 won't burn your barrel out any time soon, either, so you can do a lot of practice.

Otherwise, just go along to a few events and talk to the guys and see if anyone has something for sale. You might be able to pick up a decent Omark or Savage FC or other single-shot target rifle that won't break the bank but will still keep you reasonably competitive. If your barrel is over 26" I don't think you can compete in Hunter class, but there's always Standard and Open.

If you can, invest in a good scope. It will make a difference and you can transfer it from one rifle to the next. My 25x was fine up to 400 yards but a bit marginal after that. A Sightron III 10-50x60 is probably the cheapest semi-decent magnification I can think of, or perhaps a fixed-mag Weaver T-series (48x etc) which quite a few of the guys and girls had where I used to shoot (though 48x fixed is limited outside F-Class). You could probably find a decent second-hand Nightforce for similar coin, but it's also worth mentioning that clarity trumps magnification, so a slightly lower-powered scope with better glass is preferable to a higher powered one with average glass. My $0.02
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by MrSavage » 12 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:
Robin wrote: Im hoping Brisbane will have this, it would be good to have a rifle that i can hunt with and at the same time enjoy target shooting on a competive side.

I think SSAA Belmont has F class however I'm not sure.

The f-class isn't at SSAA it's on the next door QRA range
But SSAA has the 300 and 500m fly shoot.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MrSavage » 12 Aug 2020, 7:32 pm

Robin wrote:I'm wanting to do F-Class Shooting and not sure on what rifle or scope I should be getting, what is recommended, is the HOWA
1500 BRAVO LONG RANGE, any good, and what about scope.

My advice is go along and talk to the people doing it and watch a match and look through some scopes.
People are usually helpful.

Also feel free to come to the 300 or 500m fly match at SSAA Brisbane.

It has a light gun class you can shoot hunting rifles in.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jarhead » 12 Aug 2020, 7:52 pm

Hey Robin,

Did you make any decisions yet? Let us know what you get!
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 13 Aug 2020, 7:45 am

Yes. I am also interested as to how you got on.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 13 Aug 2020, 5:39 pm

Like everything, I take a very long time to decide , not yet but I will soon i hope
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Robin » 13 Aug 2020, 5:41 pm

Altho I have seen the Remington 700 long range
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2020, 7:15 pm

If you want a Remington, get one that is at least 30 years old. You should be able to get one that someone has already modified for competition with a used match grade barrel for about a grand. Go to some local matches and ask around. Someone always has something decent they want to move on.

What case are you looking at? 223? 308?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 13 Aug 2020, 7:34 pm

SCJ429 wrote:If you want a Remington, get one that is at least 30 years old. You should be able to get one that someone has already modified for competition with a used match grade barrel for about a grand. Go to some local matches and ask around. Someone always has something decent they want to move on.

What case are you looking at? 223? 308?

I was told 308 is the way to go.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jarhead » 14 Aug 2020, 8:07 am

Robin wrote:Like everything, I take a very long time to decide , not yet but I will soon i hope

I'll bet your birthday is in September or October.......
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 14 Aug 2020, 8:52 am

Jarhead wrote:
Robin wrote:Like everything, I take a very long time to decide , not yet but I will soon i hope

I'll bet your birthday is in September or October.......

Haha. Depends when my tax return hits my account
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2020, 5:59 pm

Would the tax return stand the price tag of this beauty. Not exactly an entry level rifle but a lovely bit of gear.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=178008
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 14 Aug 2020, 8:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Would the tax return stand the price tag of this beauty. Not exactly an entry level rifle but a lovely bit of gear.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=178008

Looks nice, might need to run it by the minister of war and finance first.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles