First .223 rifle advice?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

First .223 rifle advice?

Post by PATTY » 19 Mar 2014, 7:03 am

G'day people,

I'm looking at purchasing my first rifle in a .223 calibre and I'm wanting to get some information from those of you who have been in the game for longer than I have.

I'm looking at doing mainly dog and roo shooting with the occasional target shooting to keep my eye in on the off times.

I've done a bit of research regarding different brands and I like the sound of the Howa 1500 Varmint but as they only come in a 1:12 twist and the more I read, If I want to push a heaver pill it may be a bit of concern.

As for the savage and Remington 700' I've heard multiple differing opinions. I've got experience shooting accurately out to 350-450 yards with a .22 mag, but just need something with a bit more whack.

Any opinions and advice would be relished.

Cheers.
PATTY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: First .223 ?

Post by Supporter » 19 Mar 2014, 7:46 am

On the subject of twist.

FYI some of Tikka's rifles like the Forest which come in .223 are offered in 1:12 and 1:8 twist barrels for heavier pills.

For those distances and game I say you really want the faster twist...
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 19 Mar 2014, 7:52 am

Supporter wrote:FYI some of Tikka's rifles like the Forest which come in .223 are offered in 1:12 and 1:8 twist barrels for heavier pills.

Yup.

Forest

Hunter Fluted and...

Hunter Stainless Fluted all come in 1:8 twist barrels.

I recently picked up a Stainless Fluted action in the Forest stock (7mm-08, not .223) and I love it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 19 Mar 2014, 8:01 am

PATTY wrote:I've done a bit of research regarding different brands and I like the sound of the Howa 1500 Varmint but as they only come in a 1:12 twist and the more I read, If I want to push a heaver pill it may be a bit of concern.

It will be. These are rough numbers but as a guide for your thoughts...

1:8 should comfortably shoot 80gr pills.

1:12 twist rate you're likely to be limited to something around the 55gr mark.

Rough numbers, but you get the idea.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Mar 2014, 10:13 am

There is a lot of options when it comes to the 223, barrels, profile, type, etc. just work out when your going to shoot & what your going to shoot it from. That should narrow it down plenty. I've got an x-bolt in varmint coming if you want any info on them, happy to help
Member-Deleted

Post by 1290 » 19 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

Do you have a larger calibre centrefire?
If you want to push heavier projjies maybe go to a 243??
I have a 223Rem-1:9 and shoot 55 to 69grainers.... Any heavier I'd be considering a move to a 243 or even a quaterbore.

223Rem55gr@3200 or 243Win80gr@3300??

Riflewise do you want a heavy barrel / shortbarrel / DBM? / plastic stock? / timber?
Savage have a good range, Zastava as well with a 223Rem option of 1:12/1:8....dont feel compelled to go with a Howa/Rem/Tikka to fit in with the crowd...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

Go on be diffrent & get a Stevens that will show them howa/tikka people. Lol
Member-Deleted

Post by PATTY » 19 Mar 2014, 11:00 am

Fist off let me say thank you for everyone's advice so far..

I don't necessarily want to push a bigger pill but would be nice to have that option.

As for going up to a .243 I have considered it but have had the chance to test one out and it just seems to be too loud and you only get one shot before you send them all to the hills...

I know I know, one shot should be all you need but when you have 80 odd Roos at a time you'd like to get more than one ha ha...

I have been considering a heavier barrel and a thumb hole stock, weather it's laminate or timber doesn't really phase me.

I have looked at the X bolt but I think it's just starting to get a bit out of my price range, I was looking also at the tikka varmit stainless fluted but again it's pushing the budget, maybe I need to wait a bit longer and save a bit more coin.
PATTY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by PATTY » 19 Mar 2014, 11:24 am

Jaso wrote:There is a lot of options when it comes to the 223, barrels, profile, type, etc. just work out when your going to shoot & what your going to shoot it from. That should narrow it down plenty. I've got an x-bolt in varmint coming if you want any info on them, happy to help

Majority of firing will be from stationary position either on ground or over the tray of ute
PATTY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Mar 2014, 11:30 am

Wow, common sense on a fourm. I applaud your decision. But if the howa suites you & is in your price range then I can't see why you wouldn't get it. I just noticed your reply to my first post, the reason I ask is if you are shooting from a vicheal you won't be so concerned about having a synthetic stock. I choose my x-bolt for pretty much the same reasons as you have noted.
Member-Deleted

Post by PATTY » 19 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

Cheers I think I might go in and have a feel of a few and see what feels most comfortable now I've narrowed down my list and I have them on paper
PATTY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm

Sounds like a plan, good luck with it
Member-Deleted

Post by Monty » 19 Mar 2014, 1:53 pm

PATTY wrote:Cheers I think I might go in and have a feel of a few and see what feels most comfortable now I've narrowed down my list and I have them on paper

Getting a feel for them is a must.

Just about anything will fit the bill on paper, but night not gel with you when it's in your hands.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 19 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm

I have two rifles in .223. The Tikka Hunter is a solid, accurate rifle, at least sub MOA, probably more like 2/3rds MOA. The Remington 5R is heavy as f*ck but is far more accurate and can shoot many more rounds before heat becomes an issue. Before I ran out of 75grain projectiles I was getting 1/3rd MOA.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 19 Mar 2014, 5:02 pm

PATTY wrote:maybe I need to wait a bit longer and save a bit more coin.

This would be my advice mate.

Nothing worse than saving a few bucks and ending up with something you don't like or doesn't shoot well. In the end you just end up selling it at a loss and buying what you should have got the first time.

If you've got the time I'd say save a few more $$$ and get the one you want most. Be it Browning, Tikka or whatever.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 19 Mar 2014, 6:50 pm

Jaso wrote:common sense on a fourm.

The what now?

:lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: First .223 rifle advice?

Post by Westy » 20 Mar 2014, 6:52 am

I have a 223 in Tikka Varmit and a Howa 1500 both 1:12 twist hate to say it but Both shoot equally as well as each other,only thing was one did it for 1/2 the price!!!!! Howa 1500 is a great rifle for the price!!!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Press » 20 Mar 2014, 9:05 am

lole wrote:Nothing worse than saving a few bucks and ending up with something you don't like or doesn't shoot well. In the end you just end up selling it at a loss and buying what you should have got the first time.

If you've got the time I'd say save a few more $$$ and get the one you want most. Be it Browning, Tikka or whatever.

+1

I used to do that (the bad option) heaps when I was young impatient (read: stupid).

But better to be patient for a couple of months and get the one you'll love.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles