Marlin 336SS Extraction Issues

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin 336SS Extraction Issues

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Aug 2020, 11:58 am

Hi Fellas,

So I purchased a new Marlin 336SS recently and I've been running snap caps through it to loosen everything up, I've come across an issue that happens when extracting a snap cap, it kind of gets grippy but won't eject the casing. I have to run the lever a couple times then it will eject, but not pick up the next round until I run the lever once more, I haven't tried it with live ammo as I have not had the chance to hit a range or field. Anybody have any suspicions? :violin:
Member-Deleted

Re: Marlin 336SS Extraction Issues

Post by CAVEMAN » 29 Aug 2020, 12:08 pm

You will often find snap caps don't replicate real rounds all that well. Dimensional correct but materials and weights are often off. I wouldn't read into it too much till you have done it for real.

I know 22 levers hate them and i've had to extract them out after jamming on the lifter.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Aug 2020, 1:23 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:You will often find snap caps don't replicate real rounds all that well. Dimensional correct but materials and weights are often off. I wouldn't read into it too much till you have done it for real.

I know 22 levers hate them and i've had to extract them out after jamming on the lifter.

Okay, will do. Thanks for the advice. I've also noticed my 22 bolt tends to push usually 1 every 5 rounds in sideways bending the round. Snap caps are fine, just the rounds themselves.
Member-Deleted

Post by CAVEMAN » 30 Aug 2020, 12:58 pm

That could be how you manipulate the bolt, 22 being short and stubby it may not like being ran how you do. Try a vit slower faster or such and you will find what it likes.

My little ruger loves being run like a behind time freight train.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Aug 2020, 1:39 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:That could be how you manipulate the bolt, 22 being short and stubby it may not like being ran how you do. Try a vit slower faster or such and you will find what it likes.

My little ruger loves being run like a behind time freight train.

Okay, so it's a fairly common thing for 22's?
Member-Deleted

Post by boingk » 30 Aug 2020, 2:33 pm

Yep, 22's I run gently but centrefires get all the effort for an ejection followed by a nice quick cycle for loading. And yes snapcaps will often run poorly.

Nothing unusual.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Aug 2020, 12:45 am

boingk wrote:Yep, 22's I run gently but centrefires get all the effort for an ejection followed by a nice quick cycle for loading. And yes snapcaps will often run poorly.

Nothing unusual.

- boingk

Okay, thanks mate.
Member-Deleted

Post by straightshooter » 31 Aug 2020, 7:29 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:Hi Fellas,

So I purchased a new Marlin 336SS recently and I've been running snap caps through it to loosen everything up, I've come across an issue that happens when extracting a snap cap, it kind of gets grippy but won't eject the casing. I have to run the lever a couple times then it will eject, but not pick up the next round until I run the lever once more, I haven't tried it with live ammo as I have not had the chance to hit a range or field. Anybody have any suspicions? :violin:

Your question doesn't make sense to me.
These marlins have a blade ejector which works very reliably. The only way it would fail to eject is if you don't operate the lever through it's whole travel or if the ejector spring were broken.
Do you have a problem with terminology? Instead of eject do you mean extract?
Extraction is a whole other issue.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Aug 2020, 8:23 am

straightshooter wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:Hi Fellas,

Your question doesn't make sense to me.
These marlins have a blade ejector which works very reliably. The only way it would fail to eject is if you don't operate the lever through it's whole travel or if the ejector spring were broken.
Do you have a problem with terminology? Instead of eject do you mean extract?
Extraction is a whole other issue.

So as I start to pull the lever down it gets tight and won't extract it properly, thus not ejecting the round. It's definitely an extraction issue, not an ejection issue.
Member-Deleted

Post by in2anity » 31 Aug 2020, 10:33 am

The strength the ejector has when comparing an empty shell with a snap cap is night and day. For ejector analysis, one must test use an empty shell.
Last edited by in2anity on 31 Aug 2020, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Aug 2020, 3:35 pm

in2anity wrote:The strength the ejector has when comparing an empty shell with a snap cap is light and day. For ejector analysis, one must test use an empty shell.

Gotcha, well I'll collect when when I hit the range and test. Thanks :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by boingk » 31 Aug 2020, 7:14 pm

Exactly. Hopefully this will resolve itself by you putting a box of factory rounds through it at the range and walking away with a big smile.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Sep 2020, 2:36 am

boingk wrote:Exactly. Hopefully this will resolve itself by you putting a box of factory rounds through it at the range and walking away with a big smile.

Here's to hoping! :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Return to Centerfire rifles