I’m learning

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

I’m learning

Post by Blr243 » 04 Sep 2020, 6:40 pm

Weird topic title. Looks like my new Howa Varmint rifle is fitted with a two stage trigger. I have heard of them. I think I tried one in a gun store once. But I def never owned one or hunted with one. Does anyone Here hunt with a two stage trigger ? And another question , when I’m loading for 22250 and I choose to try just neck sizing with a collet die, I imagein that mostly my brass will shrink back a bit after firing each Time and I can use only the collet die mostly but now and then If my cases grow too much I will have to resort back to normal dies to ensure reliable chambering?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: I’m learning

Post by Jarhead » 04 Sep 2020, 6:47 pm

Hey BLR243,

Can't help with the trigger- can help with the die question.

You will get 4-5 firings out of a neck sized only case before the shoulder "grows" long enough to jam the bolt. The result is a heavy lift after firing. I mark those for full length sizing when it happens. Full size back to SAAMI spec once, and then start over- 4-5 firings with neck sizing. This works for me and a few others I shoot with.
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 04 Sep 2020, 9:02 pm

Hi mate, I live and breathe two-stage. I've used them growing up and continue to do so.

Think of it as an inbuilt safety. The blade moves inward to the trigger, first step of the pull. It counts for nothing, pull-weight wise. Once its flush with the trigger, you start the trigger pull proper. Pressure here counts. I favour a lightish trigger and the two-stage helps with this.

Hunting? Yeah, they're good. Take in the blade while you're centering the shot, start applying weight once its on target full. Like I said, think of it as another layer of safet. It means you can have a very light trigger and not worry about an accidental discharge as you have to take up the blade pull first. I've seen far too many single-stage triggers which would not have negligently discharged if they were a two-stage... or had a more careful operator.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by marksman » 04 Sep 2020, 9:41 pm

heres a bit of info on your rifle you may not have seen
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag ... t%20action.

l like the older single stage howa triggers better, but l do use a kepplinger 2 stage set target trigger but that is different because it sets a light trigger

you will be right with the lee collet die and the occasional bump back, but what it is is if its hard to close the bolt the shoulder needs bumping back but if its hard to open the bolt the case head needs squeezing in a tad
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Sep 2020, 10:33 pm

You know you can get Timneys for the HOWA, right blr? Nevertheless if you put in the time though, you can certainly become intimate with when your second stage breaks.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Sep 2020, 10:44 pm

This will fix any and all concerns you might have. It’s easy as piss to fit - and turns into a clean and crisp single stage.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Howa-1500-1 ... SwZlZaRkKY
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duddley75 » 05 Sep 2020, 7:32 am

Whilst I am not hunting yet, I really like the feel of my two stage Howa for target shooting.

The first stage gets me ready and the 2nd is crisp.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 05 Sep 2020, 7:35 am

TT, i already ordered one from gunbloke as per your suggestion the other day ... Only 20 bucks delivered. Unfortunately my marlin trigger from brownells was 240 delivered ......thanks fellas for the input. Very good info.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles