The triplets

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

The triplets

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Sep 2020, 12:17 am

I now (as of recently) own three HOWA's, and only just finished my usual treatment of all my rifles, of bedding and floating the latest aquisition.

Took it out tonite for a short hunt to field test it AFTER duly sighting in and zeroing.

I am pleased to say that as per usual for a Howa,,,, it was very pleasing to use.
In the short duration of being out there the only thing that popped up was a little multi colored pig.
I settled the cross hairs on the base of the ear,,, and squeezed off a shot.

The job was done adequately with the whole crown of its head and one ear simply disappearing.

Lasered range of 126 meters,, .223 Polymer tipped factory.

I am now looking forward to using it as my main go to,,, for Dingoes/Feral Dogs.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: The triplets

Post by in2anity » 28 Sep 2020, 8:16 am

I shoot all kinds of actions in Service comps, ranging from 1800s milsurp dinosaurs right through the most state of the art "tacticool" things, and the HOWA 1500 is just an awesome platform. It ticks the three boxes; reliable, precise and consistent, which is critical to taking home the medals.

I suppose it's more reflective of the Sako Finnbear design, but the past in is in the past.

In terms of competitiveness, my HOWA 1500 with a Lothar-Walther match barrel is stunningly good. It'll shoot V-bulls all day long on the 300 and 400m mound (if you can), no exaggeration.

IMG_0149.jpg
Howa 1500 SA + Lother-Walther
IMG_0149.jpg (685.4 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 29 Sep 2020, 7:01 pm

there's nothing wrong with the howas
they are every bit worthwhile spending the money re-barreling as well
IMHO it is making a good rifle better

l've put this up before but its 2 smaller pigs shot with a howa 1500 that l tricked up for a friend in 223 using factory OSA ammo

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 29 Sep 2020, 8:12 pm

Nice timber on that one marksman :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 29 Sep 2020, 11:56 pm

in2anity wrote:Nice timber on that one marksman :thumbsup:

the rifle was new with a synthetic stock and l imported that stock from the US to make the rifle for a mate who used it for a while then another mate wanted one like it and bought it off him, he has used it flatout on everything for around 2 years now using the OSA ammo, he is also the guy who had me do up his 308 that l did the post about
l like the howas but wish their barrels were like the tikkas, the howa barrels can be a bit ordinary but they really come to life with new barrels :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles