New Build

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Build

Post by PaddyT » 05 Oct 2020, 8:22 pm

Evening all, at some point in the next few months ive decided i want to go down the rabbit hole of getting a custom rifle built - and have given the thought towards a 338-06, (which will also mean im going down the reloading warren too!!). I have a smith in mind here in Sydney who has been recommended to me but am yet to have a chat with him-ive done a fair bit of research on line (yeah i know its not real world) but am open to suggestions. Main purpose will be as a heavier hitter than my 308 (with the aim of chasing Sambar when i can get into Vic). Now-first criteria is that i am a dyed in the wool lefty- i do own a LA102 in 308 but much prefer to walk and stalk with my leftys as they fall to my shoulder so much more easily. So question 1. Action-the main actions ive seen in lefty are Remingtons and a few Zastava's-(both reasonable prices)-are these options to be persued or should i be looking elsewhere , q2-barrel maker-? suggestions and finally 3-Stock- was thinking a Bell and Carlson if i go down the Rem 700 road but are there Zastava/Mauser options . I will have more questions but hit me up fellas.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: New Build

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Oct 2020, 8:26 pm

Budget ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 05 Oct 2020, 8:35 pm

Ruger Hawkeye if ya want to go CRF, otherwise grab a Tikka/Remington in 270/30-06 and get it rebarreled

https://www.ozusedguns.com/ads/left-han ... -condition
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 05 Oct 2020, 9:41 pm

why not 318 westley richards over the 338-06
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by snag » 05 Oct 2020, 10:06 pm

cracker wrote:why not 318 westley richards over the 338-06

No. Sorry cracker, but the 338/06 A-Square is the ultimate cartridge for Australian big game. Mild recoil, big hit with 200 and 225 grainers and the 250 grainers stop a scrub bull or a buff like a sledgehammer. Form your cases from 30/06 with one pass of the die. Has worked for me for many years and will always be my favourite. Sold off my other big guns because this does everything you need in Australia.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 06 Oct 2020, 12:27 am

G'day PaddyT mate i've looked at rebarreling various rifles to a larger caliber at times but cost is a big factor, just saying but wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy a 338, 7mm, or something up around that ? :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Oct 2020, 3:51 pm

l have handled the original Elmer Keith 338-06 rifle that he took to africa, also known as the 338 OKH
it will drop any sambar you shoot, l would do the rifle the same as Elmer in a mauser 98
here's a photo of it, the rear mount does not touch the ocular that is floating inside the rear ring

and here's a photo from his african trip with it

here's a lefty action for your build ready to go
https://www.sunburyfirearms.com/product ... -left-hand
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 06 Oct 2020, 4:42 pm

go up one more step , 35 whelen on a model 70 . one pass die forming cases . that'd be my preference anyways , for what it's worth

regardless on the caliber choice ,there's nothing more satisfying than doing your own custom build , or even restoration on a older rifle

once upon a time qaulity rifles were built to a standard , not a price :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Oct 2020, 5:41 pm

338-06 dies should come with a tapered expander button in the sizer die,
this enables you to neck up 30 cal to 338 in one pass through the die. of course if necking down 35 Whelen it won't matter

the left hand action l put up in my previous post $395,
a lothar walther barrel $480,
richards microfit old classic style stock in exhibition grade american black walnut $540 AU plus post, can be cheaper by not using exhibition grade
gunsmith work around $400 and some fitting work done by yourself to make it yours, a cheap custom left hand rifle
this is just a rushed off the head estimation but it works for me, just have to find a smith with a reamer

https://www.sunburyfirearms.com/product ... -left-hand
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=177581
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/oldclassic.htm
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 06 Oct 2020, 8:25 pm

Send the action to Allan Swan gunsmith and for a bit over $500 you ll get a quality barrel chambered. :thumbsup:

If you do go ahead with it I know where there is some 338 06 A square brass
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 08 Oct 2020, 2:33 pm

Thanks for the replies-Marksman-i did see that Action and thanks for the info on the stock/barrell-am thinking 225 grain pills so 1 in 10 twist? Big rich i did look pretty hard at the idea of a whelen , may still be worth considering ., saving up the pennies-aiming for about a 2K spend on the rifle before i look at optics.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles