243 scope

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

243 scope

Post by Shootermick » 08 Oct 2020, 8:27 pm

I bought a new 243 today, a Ruger Compact 18” barrel. I like the compact as it’s easy to manoeuvre around in the ute and just handy in its shorter all round length. I’ve got a Leupold 3-9x40 that’s basically brand new that I bought originally for a 22 bolt action, and I was thinking this would match up well with the new compact Ruger.
Is there any reason why the rimfire scope with no parallax would not suit the 243? Is no parallax a problem, or will there be too much recoil for it? Or will it be fine?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: 243 scope

Post by Blr243 » 08 Oct 2020, 8:56 pm

I put a 3-9 on my first 243. Small stuff. Pig hymalan thar, red deer ,Fallow close up or spotlighting It works. It was just an embarrassing to admit Nikko I don’t even know what parallax is but I heard bout it a lot .....once when I hit a boar on my motorbike I flew over the handlebars and as I did so the scope smashed into the back of my head , but it still held zero
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 08 Oct 2020, 9:03 pm

if it is not an adjustable parallax scope, yes

because the parallax is set at around 60y for a rimfire scope and on a centerfire (243) the parallax is set at around the 100y
as l said is the scope has an adjustable parallax it will be ok if not you may have difficulties
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 08 Oct 2020, 9:10 pm

marksman wrote:if it is not an adjustable parallax scope, yes

because the parallax is set at around 60y for a rimfire scope and on a centerfire (243) the parallax is set at around the 100y
as l said is the scope has an adjustable parallax it will be ok if not you may have difficulties

It definitely not adjustable, I know that much. I’ve probably still got the box and book that came with the scope. So MM are you saying that if it’s set at 100 yards it would be suitable?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Oct 2020, 10:11 pm

yes
setting it isn't that hard it is just adjusting the objective lens, but having the tools is the problem, maybe give nioa a ring?
but that scope is worth heaps more than a centerfire scope, it would sell very quickly and you could get another
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 08 Oct 2020, 10:38 pm

A 3-9 scope would be fine.
I have an old Burris 2-7 On an 18" Ruger. Does a great job.

You only need a scope with paralax adjustment for either close up shooting on small targets or fine accurate shooting at longer ranges.

Shooting bunnies with a .22 you don't need it and shooting decent sized animals with a .243 with a 39 on it you won't either.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 09 Oct 2020, 7:14 am

Thought about this some time back, with regard to my 243. I ended up installing a Leupold VX Freedom 4-12 x 40 and have not looked back. Suits my style of hunting.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2020, 1:37 pm

IMHO the 243 deserves a good scope to shoot out to at least 300y
l would be looking at something like this for xmas https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=178233 if you've been a good boy ;)
l see a few on abused guns for sale cheaper second hand and being a leopold it has the warranty thats makes it worthwhile :drinks:

and just for your information, not saying to do it but this is what the tools look like to adjust your parallax on a fixed parallax scope looks like

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Oct 2020, 2:04 pm

Mate, I've got a 4-12x44 Vortex on mine with factory supplied Tikka mounts and about the only times I use 12x is at the range. Mostly used at 4-6x. in the field.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 09 Oct 2020, 2:20 pm

marksman wrote:IMHO the 243 deserves a good scope to shoot out to at least 300y
l would be looking at something like this for xmas https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=178233 if you've been a good boy ;)
l see a few on abused guns for sale cheaper second hand and being a leopold it has the warranty thats makes it worthwhile :drinks:

and just for your information, not saying to do it but this is what the tools look like to adjust your parallax on a fixed parallax scope looks like

MM I’m tending to agree with you, new rifle should be treated to a new scope that’s properly suited. Your link didn’t seem to work for me, but I’m starting to think down the line of a 4-12x40/44. I’ve got a Meopta 6-18x50 on my Lithgow 223 and I rate it highly. But it’s got a bit of size about it and another one of them might work against the whole idea of the new compact rifle. So maybe a size or so down from that. Leupold and Meopta would be first choice, however I’ve got a Vortex 3-9x40 on my 22 mag and it’s quite a good scope too.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2020, 2:29 pm

Shootermick wrote:I bought a new 243 today, a Ruger Compact 18” barrel. I like the compact as it’s easy to manoeuvre around in the ute and just handy in its shorter all round length. I’ve got a Leupold 3-9x40 that’s basically brand new that I bought originally for a 22 bolt action, and I was thinking this would match up well with the new compact Ruger.
Is there any reason why the rimfire scope with no parallax would not suit the 243? Is no parallax a problem, or will there be too much recoil for it? Or will it be fine?

I imagine it should be fine unless you plan on using it beyond about 250. Who knows what error to expect beyond say 150?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2020, 4:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Shootermick wrote:I bought a new 243 today, a Ruger Compact 18” barrel. I like the compact as it’s easy to manoeuvre around in the ute and just handy in its shorter all round length. I’ve got a Leupold 3-9x40 that’s basically brand new that I bought originally for a 22 bolt action, and I was thinking this would match up well with the new compact Ruger.

I imagine it should be fine unless you plan on using it beyond about 250. Who knows what error to expect beyond say 150?

one way to see OB is to get one of your scopes and set the parallax at 60y then have a shot at different ranges using different positions :unknown:
it may be 4" @ 100 maybe more but maybe less, the only way it would be fine is if you do the exact same shot every time and it takes a hell of a lot of practice to be able to get behind a rifle exactly the same every time, especially when hunting, l know you understand how important parallax is and why you want to make every shot the best you can do

this is a screenshot of the scope l had picked out for you Shootermick, l like spending other people's money :lol:

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 09 Oct 2020, 5:16 pm

Cheers MM.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2020, 5:52 pm

"set the parallax at 60y then have a shot at different ranges using different positions
it may be 4" @ 100 maybe more but "

Mmmm, surprised its that much. I was thinking half that.

Edit: So I was thinking if correct at 100yrd, maybe out 2" or 3" worst scenario at say 250.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2020, 6:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"set the parallax at 60y then have a shot at different ranges using different positions

depends on a lot of things, scope quality especially, some will look like the reticle is bending :unknown: some shooters dont realise how much there groups will improve just by learning how to setup the scope properly and getting into position the same every time
eg... set the rifle up and crawl into it dont get into position and bring the rifle to you, no stress on the rifle
the reason why you have to have an adjustable parallax for long distance shooting
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by grumpy308 » 10 Oct 2020, 7:11 am

Hi Shootermick. You did not say the Leupold 3-9x40 was a specific rimfire scope with parallax set to a shorter distance, just that you bought it to use on a rimfire. A model number would identify it either way or it is easy to check the parallax setting. Just get a cardboard or wooden box and cut a "V" notch in two ends to sit the scope in. Sit it on the ground or a table and set it up to look at a fence or something 50 or 60 yards away. Put magnification on 9x and look through the scope while moving your head sideways and/or up and down.If the reticule appears to move in relation to the target then the parallax is not set to that distance. The parallax setting will be what ever distance you can do that and the reticule does not move in relation to the target. If you check it at numerous distances you will see how much error there is either side of the scopes actual setting. Easy to do with just a bare scope or with it on a rifle sitting on bags or set up on a bipod. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 10 Oct 2020, 8:07 am

grumpy308 wrote:Hi Shootermick. You did not say the Leupold 3-9x40 was a specific rimfire scope with parallax set to a shorter distance, just that you bought it to use on a rimfire. A model number would identify it either way or it is easy to check the parallax setting. Just get a cardboard or wooden box and cut a "V" notch in two ends to sit the scope in. Sit it on the ground or a table and set it up to look at a fence or something 50 or 60 yards away. Put magnification on 9x and look through the scope while moving your head sideways and/or up and down.If the reticule appears to move in relation to the target then the parallax is not set to that distance. The parallax setting will be what ever distance you can do that and the reticule does not move in relation to the target. If you check it at numerous distances you will see how much error there is either side of the scopes actual setting. Easy to do with just a bare scope or with it on a rifle sitting on bags or set up on a bipod. Regards Malcolm.

Thanks. That’s what I’m trying to work out now. I thought I had the box and book but I don’t. If the parallax is set further it’ll go on my 243 if not it can stay on the 22 it’s currently on. I’ll be down at the shop I bought it from today, so I might ask them. It was about $350 18 months ago I think. I’ve got the serial number off the bottom of it but I don’t think that’s much help to me.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2020, 8:30 am

I'm going to check mine too.
I have 2 with the adjustment but Ive just set and forget. 223 & 22lr.

The ones on both 30-06 Don't have the adjustment. Will check but since the targets are much bigger less critical I guess. Specs say fixed at 100yards.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Oct 2020, 8:35 am

marksman wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:"set the parallax at 60y then have a shot at different ranges using different positions

depends on a lot of things, scope quality especially, some will look like the reticle is bending :unknown: some shooters dont realise how much there groups will improve just by learning how to setup the scope properly and getting into position the same every time
eg... set the rifle up and crawl into it dont get into position and bring the rifle to you, no stress on the rifle
the reason why you have to have an adjustable parallax for long distance shooting

Parralax drives me mad. When your really dialled in and you think you have it set perfectly - shoot 5 shots then wait for barrel to cool...then sit back down and realise that you didn’t actually have parallax set properly in the first instance...even if it moves the reticle .5 of a mm, that’s now a different setting...arggghhhhh
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 10 Oct 2020, 12:11 pm

So I just checked at shop where I bought my scope and it’s set at 100, not 50 or 60. So I’ll put it on my 243 when it arrives and see how she goes.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Oct 2020, 2:02 pm

Just a notw - scopes for rimfires, like 22lr etc. are usually set for around 50 yds and centrefire around 100yds.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2020, 4:04 pm

sounds like you're onto it mick but now you have no excuse for a new scope :lol:
best of luck with it :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2020, 8:20 pm

this would have to be one of the best explanation's of parallax I have ever heard

showing parallax using a quality scope and how to correct it :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRfWpuFTeqI
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 10 Oct 2020, 8:20 pm

marksman wrote:sounds like you're onto it mick but now you have no excuse for a new scope :lol:
best of luck with it :drinks:

Yeah MM. I’ll start with the 3-9 and see how it goes. If I’m happy with the set up I’ll leave it and if not I’ll go 4-12 or something else. Ozzie Reviews did a review on the Ruger Compact 243 with a leupold 3-9 on it recently. He spoke pretty well of the gun but didn’t mention much about the scope. I think he even said it was a 4-9 in the introduction, which might have been a slip of the tongue.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 11 Oct 2020, 3:15 pm

marksman wrote:this would have to be one of the best explanation's of parallax I have ever heard

showing parallax using a quality scope and how to correct it :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRfWpuFTeqI

That’s actually really good. Anyone trying to learn about parallax (like me) should watch it.
Cheers MM.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 15 Nov 2020, 7:39 pm

Just to round off the thread, I picked up my rifle yesterday and topped it with a Leupold Freedom 4-12x40 tri moa scope. It was blowing a gale here today so I couldn’t sight it in, but will get a chance at some stage during the week hopefully.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Nov 2020, 8:56 am

I find that if you get your comb adjusted perfectly, up underneath the cheekbone, you tend to fall into the same hold. Also using a correctly adjusted stabilizing sling helps with this; it "straps" you into that consistent cheek weld. I find it helps with possible parallax error.

I have the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm, and I agree it's not ideal for cross-armed, benchrest style shooting under 100m - you have to concentrate pretty hard to stack them. If that's your jam.

Nevertheless If I strap up, the same parallax problems seem to evaporate. Granted this is largely because the shooting requirements change to unsupported (and of course, by definition, groups open up to a degree), but parallax error is far from my immediate concern when in that "mode", so to speak.

My point is, out in the sticks, I wouldn't be getting too hung up on it, so long as you've got the rest of the gun adjusted up nicely.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles