Barrel Twist

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Barrel Twist

Post by madang55 » 14 Oct 2020, 4:17 pm

So,Hypothetically, if a .223 needs a 1:9 twist to stabilize the heavier projectiles, 60 grain and upwards....What does it do to a 40 grain projectile?
Is it worth it to even try using 40g in a 1:9 twist? Does this also apply to all calibers? Faster twist for heavier projectiles, but what about the lighter ones?
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Barrel Twist

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2020, 4:34 pm

madang55 wrote:So,Hypothetically, if a .223 needs a 1:9 twist to stabilize the heavier projectiles, 60 grain and upwards....What does it do to a 40 grain projectile?
Is it worth it to even try using 40g in a 1:9 twist? Does this also apply to all calibers? Faster twist for heavier projectiles, but what about the lighter ones?

35gn NTX works just fine in my 8"-twist, alongside the 80gn ELDM.

Twist-rate stability is determined by bullet length, not its weight. Monolithic bullets for example are much longer than lead/copper bullets of the same weight. A heavier blunt-nosed bullet may stabilise whereas a lighter VLD or ELD probably won't.

It comes down to bullet construction and RPM.
RPM is derived directly from twist-rate and velocity. If you have a bullet that is disintegrating, back off the velocity until it's okay.
I use a .224" 52gn bullet swaged from .22LR brass in .223Rem. Over 3300fps they disintegrate, at 3000fps they're fine. The range in between is random, some survive, some don't.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 14 Oct 2020, 4:44 pm

Good stuff. That's probably why 40V-max in my 223 suck. Too short especially as they are a boat tail.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2020, 4:55 pm

madang55 wrote:Good stuff. That's probably why 40V-max in my 223 suck. Too short especially as they are a boat tail.

How do you mean they suck? Not accurate? Have you tried reducing the velocity a little?

The 35gn NTX is a copper bullet and is .725" long.
The 40gn VMax is copper-jacketed lead with a poly tip and is .686" long. It should shoot just fine.

The 80gn ELDM is 1.180" long. Shoots well in my 8"-twist, don't know how it'd go in a 9"-twist, but the 77gn SMK at .994" should be good.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 14 Oct 2020, 5:21 pm

Just didn't work, huge groups at 100, where the 53 and 55 worked from the get go. And that was before I started working the loads up. No problem really, I might look for 35 NTX and see how they go.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Oct 2020, 5:54 pm

It's been said that a twist that's theoretically "too fast" for a given weight can over stabilise the projectile.

It apparently causes the projectile to fly nose high therefore causing extra drag which messes with the BC.

It's not a problem most shooters would need to worry about unless your into long range.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2020, 7:12 pm

although 80gr bergers shoot very accurately in my 1:8" twist 55gr vmax shoot nearly as well
when l rebarrel this one again it will still be 1:8" twist although l shoot a lot more 55gr bullets
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 Oct 2020, 11:19 pm

madang55 wrote:Good stuff. That's probably why 40V-max in my 223 suck. Too short especially as they are a boat tail.

Try the nosler 40BT as they are a bit longer because of the solid base
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles