QD rings

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

QD rings

Post by madang55 » 14 Oct 2020, 7:13 pm

QD Quick detachable rings. How good are they. I have a 6.5 Grendel with the scope mounted about half an inch above the barrel. The only spare rings I have are a couple of sets of good quality QD's. Should I be worried that the QD's will "shake loose"?
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: QD rings

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2020, 7:30 pm

probably not IMHO but l dont use them
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 14 Oct 2020, 7:44 pm

QD rings are usually solid as, but they catch on everything, I no longer buy em, still have a few sets but they will be replaced eventually :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2020, 7:59 pm

madang55 wrote:QD Quick detachable rings. How good are they. I have a 6.5 Grendel with the scope mounted about half an inch above the barrel. The only spare rings I have are a couple of sets of good quality QD's. Should I be worried that the QD's will "shake loose"?

If you are using them on picatinny rails they're excellent. I regularly dismount my scopes with no problems.
Doesn't matter how high the scope sits.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rossfrb » 14 Oct 2020, 8:28 pm

I use leupold qrw & qrw2 on a number of rimfires & centrefires (weaver bases) with confidence - but as someone else mentioned they can catch on stuff
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Skinna » 15 Oct 2020, 8:56 am

The Leo QD's i liked the idea of, but now im not fussed on them & prefer normal rings now. Ive mostly got a screw driver handy so getting them off isnt a bother...the reason ive gone back to normal ones is the Leo's have destroyed 2 cases--when i enter & leave a farm on first n last day of visit i often slide the 204 in & out of its case while all my clothes & bedding bags & spotty are on top, so the weight of these on the gun bags causes contact with the sharp edges of the QD thumb screw things & they tear holes in the case...really pisses me off when i hear that rip...

They'd be ok if it werent for that, so if youre only a range type shooter & want to swap out scopes regularly they might the go for you.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Oct 2020, 6:18 pm

The thumb pressure you might apply to the levers Qd mounts is probably similar to cranking an Allen Key I think so I can’t see them rattling loose
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 15 Oct 2020, 7:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:The thumb pressure you might apply to the levers Qd mounts is probably similar to cranking an Allen Key I think so I can’t see them rattling loose

Thankyou, that's what I was after. The current rings are way too high, and the only spares I have are QD, and I don't want to be suspicious of them.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by snag » 15 Oct 2020, 7:51 pm

Good quality QD's should not give you any problems at all - I have mates who use them and reckon they're great. I don't personally use them because I'm a lazy bugger and when I have a successful rifle/scope combo they stay mated for life.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 15 Oct 2020, 8:26 pm

Good thing is I have 3 sets. A lower and a lower still than what's on the rifle. What I don't have is the cash to play around with. If ever I buy another female dog, I'm calling her Covid.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles