Newbie deer hunter rifle and advice

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Newbie deer hunter rifle and advice

Post by markg » 27 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and relatively new to the hunting scene, although many of my friends are mad on it. After much thought and input from them I have decided to join their ranks and go deer hunting. Have bagged a few goats and a few pigs on my mums place but never thought of it as a hobby as such, for myself any way. I mostly fish. So I am now going to give it a go, besides , I love being in the bush and this fits in nicely. I have been looking at some rifles and have decided on a Tikka stainless in 308. I have read a lot of good stuff about them and they are in the budget I'm willing to spend initially. Scopes I have looked at are Leupold vx3i 4.5.14x40 or 3.5.10x40. I happened on a post here tonight about sight mounts on the Tikka , judging by the replies the rings don't seem to be the go,or is the picannini the best option? How do my choices look so far. I really like the backpacking style of hunting and figure this will be the mainstay of it for me. The first scope has a side adjustment too btw. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Lots of good reading in here too btw.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Newbie deer hunter rifle and advice

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Oct 2020, 8:10 pm

IMO Any quality 308, 270 or 30-06 will me fine.
I think the 3.5.10x40 is the more suitable.
I use a 3-9×40 myself but depends on the environment and your hunting style.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 27 Oct 2020, 8:16 pm

just get a 270
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 27 Oct 2020, 8:23 pm

Or maybe get something a little less clitoral, maybe a .284win, 300 weatherby, 7mm rem, or go full ape s**t and get a 338rum or 378 weatherby lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 27 Oct 2020, 9:03 pm

stainless T3 in 308 Win. Can't go wrong. A 2.5-10x50 is a better choice, if you come down to Vic to hunt.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bello » 28 Oct 2020, 6:56 am

HI Mark G
Welcome to the community.
I am cautious with new hunters and shooters. I believe, when new to this sport, one should start with a lighter calibre and build up.
I have seen too many people, especially at the range, trying to sight in rifles, they have been told to buy by friends and have a noticeable flinch because the calibre they have is too big for them at this point in time.
If you have used milder calibres first and are competent with them, the natural progression to a 308 if fine. The 308 will do all you want it to. Using good quality ammunition. Don't skimp out on ammo. I have seen guys go hunting with new rifles and scope combinations costing a small fortune only to use the cheapest ammo they could fined and wonder why they weren't having much luck.
The rifle you have chose is also good quality and leupold scopes are also fine. Scope magnification will depend on the distance you want to shoot.
Spend some time at the range getting familiar with your new rifle, try different types of ammo. See which one shoots best in your rifle.
Read lots and talk to lots of people and make up YOUR own mind.
Happy hunting
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Oct 2020, 6:58 am

You are going to need rings, even if you get a picatinny rail. I have the standard Tikka Picatinny rail on my Tikkas and I use Nightforce rings.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by eddievic » 28 Oct 2020, 7:11 am

308 is one of the most versatile calibres imho. But as bello said, getting a 308 as your first firearm might develop bad habits esp if it's a light weight barrel.

I would suggest either a 6.5 calibre (as long as you don't shoot samba deer in vic) or getting a muzzle break. Practice a bit at a range or your mums farm with the muzzle break on, then you can take it off when hunting
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juano86 » 28 Oct 2020, 7:59 am

The tikkas are excellent rifles! As mentioned above, perhaps looking at something a bit lighter recoiling might be a good place to start. The Tikka's come in 7mm-08 which is legal for all deer and recoils less than the 308. The VX3i 3.5-10x40 is a great all-round scope and they pair well in some 'low' Talley lightweight rings (do away with the rail / ring combo).
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 28 Oct 2020, 8:13 am

A 50x obj is wasted on most. A greater than 10x mag is a hindrance in the sticks. Stay away from all that "tacticool" baloney. Leave the target stuff to target shooting. Aim for light carry over "long-range capability". Cold bore precision is all you need.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2020, 8:55 am

l'd be happy with what you are already thinking about,
l'd even go the vx3i 4.5-14x40 because you can always go down in power but cant go up if its not there
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Oct 2020, 9:02 am

marksman wrote:l'd be happy with what you are already thinking about,
l'd even go the vx3i 4.5-14x40 because you can always go down in power but cant go up if its not there

You do a fair bit of bunny and fox bashing, don't you MM? I agree that scope would better cover off that use case. Excellent all-rounder scope, that one.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 10:06 am

Bello wrote:HI Mark G
I am cautious with new hunters and shooters. I believe, when new to this sport, one should start with a lighter calibre and build up.
I have seen too many people, especially at the range, trying to sight in rifles, they have been told to buy by friends and have a noticeable flinch because the calibre they have is too big for them at this point in time.
If you have used milder calibres first and are competent with them, the natural progression to a 308 if fine. The 308 will do all you want it to. Using good quality ammunition. Don't skimp out on ammo. I have seen guys go hunting with new rifles and scope combinations costing a small fortune only to use the cheapest ammo they could fined and wonder why they weren't having much luck.
The rifle you have chose is also good quality and leupold scopes are also fine. Scope magnification will depend on the distance you want to shoot.
Spend some time at the range getting familiar with your new rifle, try different types of ammo. See which one shoots best in your rifle.
Happy hunting

In that case he should definitely get a 22lr and a 338 he can practice with the 22 then head out with the 338
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Oct 2020, 10:23 am

I'd prefer a 30-06 over the 308 (yawn) and forget the magnums. Scope wise - 3-9, 2-7 etc will do the job.. Remember Deer have minimum caliber rules...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 10:32 am

RoginaJack wrote:I'd prefer a 30-06 over the 308 (yawn) and forget the magnums. Scope wise - 3-9, 2-7 etc will do the job.. Remember Deer have minimum caliber rules...

Feel you on the 308 stuff, cracks me up how many are obsessed with it when its ballistic performance is mediocre. over where I am its usually a fairly pricey round too, so I've never understood the line people keep having about "cheap and plentiful ammo" cos just dont see it. How is something that 1000+ customers will pilfer be cheap and plentiful? and as people found with the covid nonsense, it was sucked off shelves as faster than anything else leaving little to none for anyone coming through the door, I however walked in and bought as much .270 as I wanted.... I think a lot of reasons people buy 308's are foolhardy
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bello » 28 Oct 2020, 10:39 am

lol :lol:
I have wonder if I should get a 338 Lapua and a 50 cal.
No room in the safe AND apart from some fun, can't see what I could do with them.
For hunting, my 223 is magic. It has the ability to down everything I point it at within 200 meters.
I rarely use anything bigger these days. Occasionally I introduce a pig to the my 308. Never had any complaints there.
BUT I did put a muzzle break on my light weight 308 so its more comfortable to shoot and the kids will also use it.
Sorry to go off topic :unknown:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Oct 2020, 2:59 pm

Nah, Bello, Don;t go much on the 338 etc but I find that the 375 H&H is just that little bit more versatile and saves work. For example, get the odd rabbit in the veggie pack amongst the Carrots, Spring Onions, Parsley, Lettuce and Celery. One shot and Hey Presto, warm meat on a tossed salad with Mayo. :roll:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bello » 28 Oct 2020, 3:54 pm

Hi RoginaJack
I got me one of them those bang sticks, it was the Covid lockdown that made me do it :lol:
I now have to develop a load for it and we are set. Oh yes, and load development is dependent on my local range letting me spend more two hours at a time at the range.
Attachments
375 H+H.jpg
375 H+H.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 28 Oct 2020, 4:12 pm

I used to hunt deer with a 270. Great caliber but nowadays there is a plethora of great calibers for such game.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by markg » 28 Oct 2020, 7:24 pm

Thank you all for the quick responses. I guess I should have mentioned this is not my first rifle, I have an older savage 243 I have used quiet a bit, and occasionally a shot gun. I had a look at a couple of guns this afternoon including the Tikka . The Tikka did feel very comfortable except for the front pistol grip, it felt a tad shallow for my hand, but this can be changed so I'm told, as can the foregrip to the wider version. Think I will stick to the 3.5 10 x40. Judging by what folks say this is a good choice for backpacking/ stalking in rough country. I did look at some other brands today but don't see the need to spend any more on something that at this stage won't gain me all that much. Rather I wouldn't do the more expensive rifle justice. I can spend it on other bits and pieces I am going to need. Must say I am really looking forward to the challenge and learning some new skills, and then hopefully bear fruit from them . I must confess to watching way too many youtube vids on Vic deer hunting, these are somewhat responsible for me taking this path. That together with my mates always telling me it's something I should try. Late nights but the time just goes when I'm looking at them. Thank you all again for you interest and comments. I will keep you posted on my progress and look forward to what is to come. Cheers. BTW, I did have a look at a couple with muzzle brakes, but the guy said the noise is a pain so that was that.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 7:36 pm

well if you have a 243 get something with some real thump, be boring otherwise haha
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 29 Oct 2020, 8:24 am

markg wrote:Thank you all for the quick responses. I guess I should have mentioned this is not my first rifle, I have an older savage 243 I have used quiet a bit, and occasionally a shot gun. I had a look at a couple of guns this afternoon including the Tikka . The Tikka did feel very comfortable except for the front pistol grip, it felt a tad shallow for my hand, but this can be changed so I'm told, as can the foregrip to the wider version. Think I will stick to the 3.5 10 x40. Judging by what folks say this is a good choice for backpacking/ stalking in rough country. I did look at some other brands today but don't see the need to spend any more on something that at this stage won't gain me all that much. Rather I wouldn't do the more expensive rifle justice. I can spend it on other bits and pieces I am going to need. Must say I am really looking forward to the challenge and learning some new skills, and then hopefully bear fruit from them . I must confess to watching way too many youtube vids on Vic deer hunting, these are somewhat responsible for me taking this path. That together with my mates always telling me it's something I should try. Late nights but the time just goes when I'm looking at them. Thank you all again for you interest and comments. I will keep you posted on my progress and look forward to what is to come. Cheers. BTW, I did have a look at a couple with muzzle brakes, but the guy said the noise is a pain so that was that.

Which videos are you watching that has influenced you to go down this path?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 29 Oct 2020, 10:20 am

I've never hunted deer but I know Americans use 243 for some, why not just get some heavy pills and go?, or is there a calibre restriction?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 29 Oct 2020, 10:42 am

I think 243 comes in too short on what is "allowed" for deer hunting, I think .277 is the minimum calibre.

However yes a heavy pill in a 243 would have no trouble doing the job, just dont get caught doing it.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 29 Oct 2020, 12:45 pm

You can shoot Fallow and Hog Deer in Victoria with a 243Win no problems. The larger deer need the 0.270 calibre and above.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 29 Oct 2020, 6:22 pm

Bello wrote:HI Mark G
Happy hunting

juano86 wrote:The tikkas are excellent rifles! As mentioned above, perhaps looking at something a bit lighter recoiling might be a good place to start. The Tikka's come in 7mm-08 which is legal for all deer and recoils less than the 308. The VX3i 3.5-10x40 is a great all-round scope and they pair well in some 'low' Talley lightweight rings (do away with the rail / ring combo).

marksman wrote:l'd be happy with what you are already thinking about,

Gday markg...

I pretty much agree with these above...

The tikka 308 is a goody all rounder...or the 7-08 if you wana reload...

Personally id go with the higher mag scope (4.5-14) rather than the lower power (3.5-10)...i think you'll get more versatility out of the higher power...

Also if you have a longer neck (as in your neck), go the medium or high rings...& if money can stretch, go a 50mm or 56mm front objective on the scope... :thumbsup:

Dont pay a lot of attention to needing more ballistic performance...if a 308 isnt enough gun for you to kill a deer, & you need a 338 to do the job, it just all equates to you not being able to shoot... :lol: :thumbsup:

I think the 'push' kinda recoil of the 308/7-08 & the price of factory 308 ammo & brass avilability is attractive.
:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Oct 2020, 6:27 pm

Skinna wrote:
Bello wrote:
Dont pay a lot of attention to needing more ballistic performance...if a 308 isnt enough gun for you to kill a deer, & you need a 338 to do the job, it just all equates to you not being able to shoot... :lol: :thumbsup:

I think the 'push' kinda recoil of the 308/7-08 & the price of factory 308 ammo & brass avilability is attractive.
:drinks:

I agree, those tossers with the bigger calibres in OZ? Why? They are making up for something else being much smaller - no question. Like the tiny Weiner / speeder advert. Anything bigger than...errr....ummm. Oh s**t.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 29 Oct 2020, 7:35 pm

so many votes for the clitoris lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Oct 2020, 8:57 am

markg wrote:Hello everyone. I am new to this site and relatively new to the hunting scene, although many of my friends are mad on it. After much thought and input from them I have decided to join their ranks and go deer hunting. Have bagged a few goats and a few pigs on my mums place but never thought of it as a hobby as such, for myself any way. I mostly fish. So I am now going to give it a go, besides , I love being in the bush and this fits in nicely. I have been looking at some rifles and have decided on a Tikka stainless in 308. I have read a lot of good stuff about them and they are in the budget I'm willing to spend initially. Scopes I have looked at are Leupold vx3i 4.5.14x40 or 3.5.10x40. I happened on a post here tonight about sight mounts on the Tikka , judging by the replies the rings don't seem to be the go,or is the picannini the best option? How do my choices look so far. I really like the backpacking style of hunting and figure this will be the mainstay of it for me. The first scope has a side adjustment too btw. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Lots of good reading in here too btw.

your on the money with your choices, good qaulity affordable set up . if you were a reloader i'd suggest 6.5x55 in a modern rifle as a mild recoiling, good hitting rifle caliber that performs really well with handloads . 6.5 CM is a modern equivalent with more potent factory ammo , 7-08 is a good option as well

if your not after sambar ya don't really need a thumper, it may actually develope bad habits in your shooting if using heavy 308 loads in a light synthetic tikka t3 if your not a seasoned shooter . get the tikka in the laminated stock and the extra weight will make it more enjoyable to shoot , with the 3.5x10 loopy scope . i have this same scope on my 6.5x55 and have taken some good 200 plus yard shots with it on low magnification . if your not "varmiting" most people are "over-scoping" their rifles. keep it simple, ya don't want to be playing with all the adjustments and dials all the time . it can actually stuff you up as a lot of shots happen " in the moment" . mine is set and adjusted on the minimum setting for snap shots, ya can dial it up if needed

hope you find some of this useful , the hardest thing for newby's on this forum can be the variety of opinions on here :D
:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by markg » 30 Oct 2020, 10:34 pm

Thanks again for the responses. Bit to think about here. mchughcb, been watching a lot of yt vids from bolt action , zebra, and quite a few others. It sure is a lot of work chasing those Sambar. Wonderful country to be in though. Deer is a bonus.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles