Cleaning a brand new rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Cleaning a brand new rifle

Post by JesseW97 » 27 Oct 2020, 10:21 pm

Hay guys so I recently picked up my first rifle and I just wanted opinions on what to do before I have my first shoot. One bloke from the forums has been extremely helpful with getting me set up now I just need some more advice. Firstly before I shoot I was informed that I need to clean out the protective oils that come in a brand new rifle, what should I do when it comes to cleaning my rifle before I take my first shots (run a dry cleaning patch through it, use solvent etc...)? Second I keep reading all different opinions on breaking in a new rifle barrel so I would love some advice on that to for anyone wanting to know my rifle is a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless steel chambered in 22-250.

Cheers, hope to hear back from you soon.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Cleaning a brand new rifle

Post by Ziege » 27 Oct 2020, 10:24 pm

if youire just using it here and there, go to the LGS and get a gunslick cleaning kit or Hoppe's cleaning kit for $50-$70 bucks and enjoy
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 27 Oct 2020, 11:15 pm

Yes clean it first then its up to you if you follow the breaking in some do some dont I sort of figure on the cost of it TO ME a Nirinco .22 would I bother probably not a Sako in 308/223 yes My Tikkas I did they were new when I bought them ,second hand why bother I dont know how the last owner treated them .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Oct 2020, 7:13 am

This is insightful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d0-FOE ... tersofUtah

Most target shooters I know tend not to over complicate it. Most barrel wear comes from manual intervention; let the chemical do most of the work, patch it out and leave her alone. It doesn't need to sparkle like a mirror to shoot well.
Last edited by in2anity on 28 Oct 2020, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 28 Oct 2020, 7:21 am

There are some 'experts' that say breaking in a new rifle is critical with obscure systems of firing and cleaning in a set sequence and others that say it's a waste of time just use it and it will be fine.
The breaking in process just deposits tiny amounts of copper into the microscopic spaces on the metal surface of the rifling and improves shot consistency. Lead is bad, you'll want to remove that if it builds up but don't go at it with copper solvent in the future unless you really need to.

For initial cleaning just make sure there's no thick layer of heavy sticky oil inside the barrel and you're good to go, wet patches till there's no drag and one or two dry patches should be more than enough.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bello » 28 Oct 2020, 7:44 am

Hello JesseW97
I agree with rc42, clean the barrel before the first shot is taken.
I have gone through lengthy break-in procedures with some rifles and others, none at all, (apart form the above clean prior to use).
I found they both shot equally as well, in my case.
I don't do any F class shooting, I do a bit of target work at the range. My rifles are mainly for hunting.
I have read article about this and watched many videos, some experts say break in a new barrel others say don't bother.
It's your rifle, read articles and watch the videos, then make up your own mind.
Most important...Enjoy the experience :drinks:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juano86 » 28 Oct 2020, 7:50 am

Often a topic of debate! Everyone does something different and there are no doubt many ways to skin a cat with great results.

What I do (opinion only) is when I get a brand new (or even second hand) rifle home, I completely pull it apart. I like having the piece of mind that it is clean, complete and torqued before using it. I'll take the barreled action from the stock and I will spray it down with brake cleaner to remove all the factory oils / grease etc. I run brake cleaner down the bore and then patch it out til clean.
I'll then apply ballistol (spray or rag) to it all - just enough to protect, you don't want it dripping off or leaking everywhere. while its out of the stock (Tikka) id adjust the trigger pull weight to your preference and function test etc before placing back in the stock and torqueing it to manufacturers specs.
I also pull down the bolt and degrease it all with brake cleaner and then sparingly apply ballistol and reassemble and function test etc.

If it hasn't already got rings / bases etc, ill then fit those and mount / level scope, then boresight it.

First outing to the range i usually do the barrel run in and sight it in at the same time.
1 shot, clean, patch x 3 times
3 shots, clean, patch x 2 times
5 shots, clean, patch
(Edit - i dont clean the bore with brake cleaner here haha, i use the pro-shot stuff).
Pretty good to go from then on... Your rifle will tell you when you need to clean it after that. My target .243 would open its group up for few shots after a good clean, but then tighten right back up and wouldn't need to again for 30 or so rounds. They are all different.

As i mentioned, this is only what I do... others will tell you what works for them. Some fellas will tell you the above is a waste of time and to just get out and shoot it. Good on them, Every one of my rifles shoots brilliantly and look as good as the day they were purchased. but I like the piece of mind of knowing its clean, functioning and torqued. It takes the guess work out of troubleshooting it if something is playing up / loose and it gives you a good chance to learn about how your rifle works, how to clean it and how it goes back together.
Happy shooting and good choice of rifle mate.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 28 Oct 2020, 7:56 am

It is always a good practice to run a dry patch through the barrel of any rifle prior to using it after storage.
With a brand new rifle push a firmly fitting patch moistened (not dripping wet) with kero, prepsol, turps or some other clean quick drying hydrocarbon solvent. The purpose is to remove any oil or grease or any other obstruction in the barrel. Otherwise you risk creating a hydraulic bulge in the barrel.
"Breaking in" your barrel is now internet gospel but it bears more relation to nonsense than to reality.
Better to educate your self as to the how's and why's of cleaning your rifle especially when medium (months) to long term (years) storage is concerned.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2020, 8:52 am

pretty sure you will find your brand new rifle will have been shot already when function fired and not cleaned, no oils ect...
good idea to clean her up so you can see if there is need to run in
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Oct 2020, 9:39 am

JesseW97
1) I am pretty sure that Marksman is right about the bores not being cleaned after test-firing at the factory. You can tell by the copper coloured streaks in the rifling when you look at the muzzle. You might have to push a patch to within 10mm of the muzzle and let the sun shine on it from the side. A lot of my new rifles have been like this.
If you are not experienced at cleaning then be sure to remove solvents/oils from the chamber, as well as the bore, before firing. I lube the locking lugs and cocking cam sparingly.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by JesseW97 » 28 Oct 2020, 10:00 am

Cheers for all the replies, im hoping to head into my local today if not sometime this week and pick up a cleaning kit and some solvent and give it a clean out
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 10:13 am

a great majority of barrels are lapped in factory hence sub moa guarantees etc, the old school "breaking in" habit is not necessary in these barrels, so its literally up to the end user if they do this, all 3 of my high powered rifles have had 0 such process followed and all are sub moa, my 223 puts 5 shots in the same hole.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by linkoln » 28 Oct 2020, 12:42 pm

Unless you have a competition $10,000 + rifle then just clean the factory oil off it and use what oil you will regularly use and shoot. Guns are made to be fired.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by straightshooter » 30 Oct 2020, 7:38 am

marksman
pretty sure you will find your brand new rifle will have been shot already when function fired and not cleaned, no oils ect...
good idea to clean her up so you can see if there is need to run in
Wm.Traynor
JesseW97
1) I am pretty sure that Marksman is right about the bores not being cleaned after test-firing at the factory. You can tell by the copper coloured streaks in the rifling when you look at the muzzle. You might have to push a patch to within 10mm of the muzzle and let the sun shine on it from the side. A lot of my new rifles have been like this.
If you are not experienced at cleaning then be sure to remove solvents/oils from the chamber, as well as the bore, before firing. I lube the locking lugs and cocking cam sparingly
Ziege
a great majority of barrels are lapped in factory hence sub moa guarantees etc, the old school "breaking in" habit is not necessary in these barrels, so its literally up to the end user if they do this, all 3 of my high powered rifles have had 0 such process followed and all are sub moa, my 223 puts 5 shots in the same hole.

Misconceptions in abundance.
Nearly all factory barrels are either button rifled or hammer forged.
Some makers of button rifled barrels apply a thin copper plate to the bore before button rifling to assist the passage of the button which helps to minimise chatter and to prevent a broken or stuck button. This is the copper that you may notice in a new rifle. That's not to say that there isn't also residual copper from test firing or proof testing.
Hammer forged barrels are capable of a very good bore finish provided the right production steps are undertaken.
Ziege - in your dreams. Proper lapping involves time and skilled labour so is too expensive for most factory rifles. It's generally reserved for match grade aftermarket barrels but might sometimes be applied to factory rifles posing as match grade rifles with the appropriate price tag.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 30 Oct 2020, 10:56 am

in any case straightshooter, I have never "run in a barrel" and mine are all sub moa, and none of them are "match barrels"
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by straightshooter » 31 Oct 2020, 7:25 am

Ziege wrote:in any case straightshooter, I have never "run in a barrel" and mine are all sub moa, and none of them are "match barrels"

To keep the "breaking in" issue going a little longer.
There is a comment from Gale McMillan that was originally posted on a dial up bulletin board in the early 90's and has been rehashed many times on various forums such as this one:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/th ... lan.47275/
By googling the appropriate search criteria many other versions can be found.
Interesting reading if you understand the significance of Gale McMillan. Possibly a waste of time if you don't.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2020, 9:07 am

Gale Mcmillan was a legend but not like this guy SS ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX ... r_embedded
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 31 Oct 2020, 10:53 am

marksman wrote:Gale Mcmillan was a legend but not like this guy SS ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX ... r_embedded

Bahahaha
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2020, 11:50 am

and this is what John Mcquay of 8541 tactical does for breaking in his barrels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LvPjr ... re=channel

it really is about what makes you feel better IMHO
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles