Price hike in ammo?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Price hike in ammo?

Post by Gun-nut » 29 Oct 2020, 7:42 pm

Have been looking at buying some factory .303 British and the price hike of ammo is absurd, even compared to a few months ago. Anyone else noticing this in their area? What are our thoughts on this? An unfortunate side effect of all the shenanigans in the US? I'm hoping ammo prices won't stay this high and come back down when things will normalise. But I'm not overly optimistic :unknown:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Price hike in ammo?

Post by Blr243 » 29 Oct 2020, 7:55 pm

Ppu
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 29 Oct 2020, 7:59 pm

Blr243 wrote:Ppu

I've used them a fair bit and never had any problems.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Oct 2020, 8:03 pm

Gun-nut wrote:Have been looking at buying some factory .303 British and the price hike of ammo is absurd, even compared to a few months ago. Anyone else noticing this in their area? What are our thoughts on this? An unfortunate side effect of all the shenanigans in the US? I'm hoping ammo prices won't stay this high and come back down when things will normalise. But I'm not overly optimistic :unknown:

I've been talked into reloading, though it seems people are struggling for those supplies.
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 29 Oct 2020, 8:06 pm

you would be right to not be optimistic, the prices went up as the CCP virus struck on ammo that was already here on the shelves
l complained jokingly at a gun shop recently to a very nervous type of counter jumper who told me all sorts of reasons for the price rises
but its not just in the gun shops where the prices have gone up, we notice a big difference in the supermarket and other store's as well
welcome to covid normal just before the great reset ;)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 29 Oct 2020, 8:07 pm

its only common sense that something as fiddly to ship and as regulated as munitions are basically more arse ache than ever to ship presently. All worldwide shipping is delayed and with demand and stock slow to come in its only commons sense that prices would increase, shipping is also costing more due to different quarantine measures around the world.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Oct 2020, 8:33 pm

I discovered yesterday that the $7 CCI Standard Velocity is now $7.90, up 13%.
I haven't checked other ammo yet but it looks ominous.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 29 Oct 2020, 8:37 pm

I bought federal BYOB 825 round bulk ammo for $60 a bucket before covid theyre $100 at the same place now...
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 29 Oct 2020, 8:43 pm

Buy bulk when on special Walking into a shop and paying 40 bucks for a pack of twenty is not economical planning
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 29 Oct 2020, 8:50 pm

Yeha bulk buy is where its at, stores like it too, if they know that mr x is coming in for xyz ammo they can confidently order it that month, cut you a deal they dont have to "stock" it... everyone wins.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 29 Oct 2020, 10:35 pm

We are at a point in time there are plenty of people happy to pay a premium for ammo that doesn't help. I heard a guy complain about the price of ammo as compared to the month before he still bought it. I personally myself don't buy if it aint on special and i fill the cupboard when its cheaper and funds permit.

If people are willing to pay the prices as obsurd as they may be it just gives the shops another reason to keep the prices there.

It scares me to compare the peice of Super Roos that i bought from a predominant brisbane gun shop 2 years ago they were $139 (i even picked up 2 boxes for 115 each) now i think they're going for around $180.

We as the consumer are the only ones that can help curb these price hikes but until that happens the skys the limit for the shops.
Last edited by AZZA'S HJ47 on 29 Oct 2020, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by keenstalking22 » 29 Oct 2020, 10:36 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
Gun-nut wrote:Have been looking at buying some factory .303 British and the price hike of ammo is absurd, even compared to a few months ago. Anyone else noticing this in their area? What are our thoughts on this? An unfortunate side effect of all the shenanigans in the US? I'm hoping ammo prices won't stay this high and come back down when things will normalise. But I'm not overly optimistic :unknown:

I've been talked into reloading, though it seems people are struggling for those supplies.

Also stuff like projectiles and primers hit by price increase as well
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by wanneroo » 30 Oct 2020, 12:32 am

The first thing that happened is there are only a few major primer manufacturers in the world and Covid shut several of them down back earlier in the year.

Couple that with massive demand for ammo in the USA and then subsequently reloading components and you have a recipe for delayed supplies conflicting with high demand. Right now 9mm in the USA is running anywhere from 6 to 10 times the cost it was in January and rifle ammo about 2-3 times the cost, depending on what it is.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Ziege » 30 Oct 2020, 1:04 am

Yep Some friends of mine in Texas and Arkansas told me just that Wanneroo, one of them who's cousin sold his 50cal and other rifles (only kept a couple handguns) is kicking himself now.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 30 Oct 2020, 1:12 am

bladeracer wrote:I discovered yesterday that the $7 CCI Standard Velocity is now $7.90, up 13%.
I haven't checked other ammo yet but it looks ominous.

CCI suppressor went from $12 to $14 here .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 30 Oct 2020, 7:05 am

What a surprise that prices only go in one direction.
Never walk past a component bargain, it's better than money in the bank.
The difference between CPI (or so called headline inflation) and the real cost of living is becoming apparent to all as is the steady hollowing out of the middle class.
Attachments
SkeletonWaitingPriceFall.jpg
SkeletonWaitingPriceFall.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 30 Oct 2020, 7:41 am

Prices will drop again when the panic and hysteria, most of it phony media and government generated goes away at some point as people begin to wake up to what is going on. Gradually supply will meet demand again. Maybe it will be one year, two years, who knows but someday.

Inflation adjusted, ammo has never been cheaper back in 2018-2019, so the prepared folks bought cheap stacked deep while others ignored the old timers to buy when the going was good and well here we are. If you got burned this time you'll learn for next time. I did in 2013 and decided to learn how to reload. I started with a Lee Hand Press and now have 3 bench presses.

Also as people hoover it off the shelves as fast as they can it will reach a peak saturation point of how much ammo do you really need? If you take your average civilian and lets say Red Dawn happens and the Chicoms invade or there is some mass attack by Antifa or ISIS, in the end the max you can realistically carry into battle against the invaders is a couple hundred rounds at most and realistically in any gunfight you will likely be dead in less than five minutes. For hunting I remember back in 2013 "preppers" were buying tens of thousands of rounds of 22LR for small game hunting but really how many squirrels can you shoot? So in the end once the panic buyers are satisfied they have enough, demand will drop.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 30 Oct 2020, 7:46 am

Also in regards to 303, be aware a shipload of Lee Enfield surplus rifles from Ethiopia landed here in the USA and are being sold, so as people buy those rifles for the first time they are also buying ammo so I would suspect that will nibble on the usual supplies of 303 ammo worldwide for a while.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Oct 2020, 7:54 am

Not sure re price drops - seems every 3 months for last couple years, there’s another thread re price increases
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 30 Oct 2020, 7:56 am

As mentioned above buy in bulk when on special whether you need it or not. Perhaps a good time to invest in reloading gear mate if it interests you.
Last edited by JimTom on 30 Oct 2020, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Oct 2020, 8:05 am

In a "Red Dawn" scenario, ammo likely becomes more valuable than food, very useful to have stockpiled for bartering with.

wanneroo wrote:Prices will drop again when the panic and hysteria, most of it phony media and government generated goes away at some point as people begin to wake up to what is going on. Gradually supply will meet demand again. Maybe it will be one year, two years, who knows but someday.

Inflation adjusted, ammo has never been cheaper back in 2018-2019, so the prepared folks bought cheap stacked deep while others ignored the old timers to buy when the going was good and well here we are. If you got burned this time you'll learn for next time. I did in 2013 and decided to learn how to reload. I started with a Lee Hand Press and now have 3 bench presses.

Also as people hoover it off the shelves as fast as they can it will reach a peak saturation point of how much ammo do you really need? If you take your average civilian and lets say Red Dawn happens and the Chicoms invade or there is some mass attack by Antifa or ISIS, in the end the max you can realistically carry into battle against the invaders is a couple hundred rounds at most and realistically in any gunfight you will likely be dead in less than five minutes. For hunting I remember back in 2013 "preppers" were buying tens of thousands of rounds of 22LR for small game hunting but really how many squirrels can you shoot? So in the end once the panic buyers are satisfied they have enough, demand will drop.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 30 Oct 2020, 8:14 am

wanneroo wrote:Prices will drop again when the panic and hysteria, most of it phony media and government generated goes away at some point as people begin to wake up to what is going on. Gradually supply will meet demand again. Maybe it will be one year, two years, who knows but someday.

What you say may be true in the US due to the size of the market but alas in Australia retail prices only ratchet upwards.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2020, 9:08 am

JimTom wrote:As mentioned above by in bulk when on special whether you need it or not. Perhaps a good time to invest in reloading.

Yep, and consider casting as well.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 30 Oct 2020, 4:14 pm

I did end up buying in bulk in the end, my local gun shop was kind enough to work out a good deal for me for some PPU. Price was good; not as good as a couple of years ago obviously. But realistically it's as good as it's gonna get for a while, especially where some shops are charging upwards of $2 a round. Reloading is something I'm looking to get into, but as said above even components have gone up in price. As also said above, the only realistic way for ammo prices to drop down here is for demand to decrease as well. Honestly surprised there aren't any Aussie manufacturers making .303 here at home considering how popular it is here, but I guess it's more profitable for companies to just ship it from the US than to pay the cost of tooling up etc.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles