Hornet loading

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Hornet loading

Post by duncan61 » 29 Oct 2020, 8:33 pm

I have a problem and could do with some advice.There is no propellant available in W.A. I have a few Kgs of 2208 which is considered too slow for Hornet.I have 50gn PSP Remingtons that I used to load in my .222.I am tempted to put 10gn of 2208 The capacity of Hornet is 14.7 gn.Has anyone done something similar
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: Hornet loading

Post by straightshooter » 30 Oct 2020, 8:10 am

Just for you I dug out my old Dupont reloaders guide which lists loads and pressures for each of their powders produced at that time for each of their production calibers.
2208 is supposed to be equivalent to IMR4064 and the load shown is for a 45 grain projectile with the following details.
Hornady 45 gn
1.720" C.O.L.
IMR4064 11.0c 1545fps 13100CUP
Since maximum pressure for the Hornet is in the region of 40000CUP I would suggest that you will be quite safe with any feasible 2208 load.
Start with 11 grains and then go up in 1 grain steps until the charge is well compressed taking all the precautions that are normal for handloading.
At the low pressures you will be operating at be prepared for a lot of powder fouling and I would be surprised if you were able to reach a muzzle velocity of 2000fps..
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 Oct 2020, 3:17 pm

Thank you so much S/S.I have all the cases and have just spent some time with the owner of the Savage Hornet.It is an unusual situation as it was his fathers rifle however I took possesion years ago as he had them seized on a BS VRO.His dads stuff is in a safe at his house and I have the keys.I am going to get him licenced so he can have full ownership and have them taken off my licence.I will load 11gn and see how we go.I still have ammo and I am sure he will buy 50 factory.The reason is his sons are now 11 and 14 and have been having a ball with a .22 LR Winchester but I would like to see how good they are with the Savage Hornet .It has open sights so I am out.I will use my .222 with scope.I am going to take them to the farm for a target day out very soon
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 31 Oct 2020, 6:38 pm

Is there no AR2205 in WA?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 01 Nov 2020, 11:25 am

I have been informed and have seen it for myself there is no metro store with propellant of any sort due to the border restrictions and being a special shipment/Expolsives etc.At the rifle club some guys in the know were saying that a bulk quantity was being bought around the top end however storage was going to be a problem as having 5 tonnes in one spot is not cool.Reason 2 is I have stock and am determined not to spend any more money on shooting as I have a lot of stock for all my stuff and have had enough of supplying everone.When I first started rec shooting in the mid 80s I was keen to just do it but as an retired roo shooter the thrill has gone and I need other people to contribute energy and stock if they wish to play.I am keen to get the Hornet sorted as The young blokes will love it
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles